Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3284428 - 07/07/13 08:01 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: 102]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

I'm assuming little of this applies when using a dog to track?
I had a blue tick coon hound once, there was no getting lost with that dog. It was magic watching that dog track and hearing his barks change in the development of the track. He put his nose to the ground at the start, but that was about it. He'd drag me right over every step a deer would take almost as if he saw it happen, I know because I did see it happen. The first time I used him I saw the whole thing, went and got the dog, took him to the spot the deer entered the woods before the hit and that dog stood over that deer in less than 30 seconds. He couldn't see it as it was deep in the woods. I never told him it was a deer he was after, he knew.

The only training he had was as a pup I used a little deer blood in the yard, it was all instinct. If that dog wanted to find something it was found and he lived to track down deer.

JFYI it's legal in Ohio to use a dog to TRACK not hunt.

If I was in the business of hunting with people depending upon me to find the deer they shot and dogs were legal, I certainly would use one after seeing that dog. A dog like that can find something that's up to 8' under water and with a dog like that the deer will run itself to death quickly if the hit is fatal keeping the wound bleeding out, if not the deer would never be found anyways.

There was no getting away from that dog, it was like God himself was pulling that dog to the target.

Without a dog, don't push a deer, I can't keep up with one, even one that's about to die. \:\)

One thing else, with certain weapons I own, if I use one of them and feel good about the shot, that animal was hit, it's laying somewhere, find it. Took my kids out target shooting, my oldest boy was drilling the x at 100 yrds. Set him up last season telling him what would happen. He hit the x at 135 yrds., the deer never took another step. If I know the weapon and the shooter, takes a lot of doubt out of the equation, I'm looking for that dead deer. My brother had several weapons that would do that, one was a 7mm, loved using that gun. deer after deer would just drop on the shot. I remember one that didn't, great shot, brother found it, he was part blood hound I think. \:\)

Thanks for all the advice, good stuff.

#3284547 - 07/07/13 10:11 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: nodog]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

nodogs,

I've seen amazing success rates with the use of blood-trailing dogs.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3284557 - 07/07/13 10:14 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I shot an 8 last year with the muzzle loader perfect double lung shot at 50 yards and we found 1 little bitty drop of blood. He ran about 40 yards. I saw this happen with one of my buddies and uncle hunting with a muzzle loader and once with a rifle perfect shot little to no blood.

Hunt long enough and you will see deer fatally hit that do not bleed, even from the most powerful rifle rounds perfectly placed. I honestly can't count the number of times I've seen this over the years.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3284585 - 07/07/13 10:43 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: deerhunter10]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I shot an 8 last year with the muzzle loader perfect double lung shot at 50 yards and we found 1 little bitty drop of blood. He ran about 40 yards.

The buck I shot last year with a muzzleloader was a 100 yard shot and went straight through the heart. He ran about 60 yards and didn't find one drop of blood until where he landed. There was blood ALL over the place there where he lay. I saw him land, which was actually closer to me than where he stood when I took the shot. I glassed him for 10 minutes before I got down and knew he had died.

As I do with all deer whether I see them drop or not, I attempted to look for blood along the path he took. No blood found, but followed his tracks and turned over leaves right to him. This keeps me "in tune". I think this should be good practice for everyone. After numerous times doing this, one day it will pay off when you NEED all of that self-taught experience.

I have seen many circumstances where the deer doesn't bleed a drop. Happened to my cousin last year on the same property at a 3 1/2, though he didn't see blood in the field or 30 yards into the woods and assumed he missed. The buck was found next weekend 100 yards from the field. I wish I had been there when the deer was shot \:\(

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3284620 - 07/07/13 11:25 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: JCDEERMAN]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

Im curious if the "no blood effect" seems to happen more to one type of weapon than others such as a muzzle loader vs a bow?

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3284704 - 07/07/13 01:28 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: DirtyBear0311]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
Im curious if the "no blood effect" seems to happen more to one type of weapon than others such as a muzzle loader vs a bow?

Not in our experience. It is pretty universal.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3284731 - 07/07/13 01:59 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: 102]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: 102
 Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311

Not in our experience. It is pretty universal.

Agreed.

And although I've seen it with every weapon type and every projectile, I will say it happens more often (in firearms) with fast-expanding bullets. That's why, personally, I prefer penetrating bullets over fast-expanding bullets. An exit wound makes a bloodless trail less likely.

#3284749 - 07/07/13 02:25 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: BSK]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

very well, thanks

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3284762 - 07/07/13 02:47 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: BSK]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

And although I've seen it with every weapon type and every projectile, I will say it happens more often (in firearms) with fast-expanding bullets. That's why, personally, I prefer penetrating bullets over fast-expanding bullets. An exit wound makes a bloodless trail less likely.

I couldn't agree more. That is why I went away from Ballistic Tips and Powerbelts, and lightweight Shockwaves/SSTs. I prefer a heavy for caliber bullet and one that holds together pretty good.

#3284765 - 07/07/13 02:53 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: EastTNHunter]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

A actually enjoy bloodtrailing deer, and this has been a very interesting and informative thread.
Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (Pintail, Master Chief, TNRazorback, WORM82, Tnscooter63, stik, 14 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93041 Topics
1087179 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.115 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.