Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3284545 - 07/07/13 10:10 AM BBQ joints in southeast TN
mjac
Spike

Loc: FL/TN

I am in Madisonville (Monroe county) and am looking for some decent non chain Q nearby.
I have been to Bradley's.

TIA

#3284554 - 07/07/13 10:13 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: mjac]
Eric Kilby
10 Point

Loc: Tellico Plains

Krambonz in tellico.. best BBQ I have had

#3284567 - 07/07/13 10:31 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Eric Kilby]
mjac
Spike

Thanks. I forgot about Krambonz. It is on my list.

#3284571 - 07/07/13 10:32 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: mjac]
Eric Kilby
10 Point

Loc: Tellico Plains

I don't like BBQ that much but I love theirs

#3284636 - 07/07/13 11:56 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Eric Kilby]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

If you wanna make the trip to Chattanooga then the best bbq ive ever had is to be found there. Its in East Ridge and is called the Hickory Pitt. It is by far the best pulled pork you will ever have.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3284658 - 07/07/13 12:21 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: mjac]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Krambones is good.

If your in Madisonville, drive on up to Sweet P's in south Knox County.

http://www.sweetpbbq.com/

#3284838 - 07/07/13 03:58 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BIGB
6 Point

Loc: TN.

Dave's spiced right. It's in the lower end of Meigs co at the crossroads of hwys 60 and 58. Good pulled pork.
#3284895 - 07/07/13 04:48 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
Its in East Ridge and is called the Hickory Pitt. It is by far the best pulled pork you will ever have.

Careful, now. You might want to qualify that statement with "in East TN"

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3284954 - 07/07/13 06:05 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Poser]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
Its in East Ridge and is called the Hickory Pitt. It is by far the best pulled pork you will ever have.

Well, I qualify ol 'Nooga as SE TN

#3285229 - 07/07/13 10:13 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: mjac]
Matador
10 Point

Loc: Rockwood,Tn.

Hey mjac they had a BBQ competition in Maryville two weeks ago. Its an manual event. I wiil try to let you know when next yr cause there was some fine tasting BBQ there.
#3285264 - 07/07/13 10:59 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

after some of the subpar reviews of memphis bbq joints that i have read on here recently, east Tn may be the place to go for some smoke

#3285298 - 07/08/13 12:25 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: redblood]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Ive had pulled pork in all of TN as well as in many places in NC. That place in Chattanooga is the best hands down.

#3285351 - 07/08/13 07:16 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: redblood

after some of the subpar reviews of memphis bbq joints that i have read on here recently, east Tn may be the place to go for some smoke

Its a volume thing. Memphis alone has over 200 BBQ Joints. Of those 200, a certain % have to be less than great. In West TN, almost every small town has at least 1 BBQ place, if not 2 or 3.

My experience with BBQ is that most places are average, at best and only a very few are truly excellent. In Memphis, I could probably narrow those 200 places down to 5 or less that are truly excellent. In Rural West TN, same thing: There are just a handful (4 or 5) that are excellent. So yeah, its easier to end up having bad-to-mediocre BBQ than it is to have excellent BBQ.

#3285353 - 07/08/13 07:17 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Matador]
mjac
Spike

Originally Posted By: Matador
Hey mjac they had a BBQ competition in Maryville two weeks ago. Its an manual event. I wiil try to let you know when next yr cause there was some fine tasting BBQ there.

We have bunch of those in FLaduh and it seems like you can't swing a cat by the the tail without hitting a decent Q joint.
Missing Q choices when up in TN, my wife says, why don't you ask, local knowledge is always good.
Thanks to all for the suggestions and we going to try to check out the Hickory Pitt in Chattanooga. We'll be passing near there about lunch time on our way up in a couple of weeks. I always look for a wood pile around back ;\)

See ya.

Edited by mjac (07/08/13 07:21 AM)

#3285372 - 07/08/13 08:03 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: mjac]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

IMO, the good ones are few and far between over here. There's plenty of BBQ places...but not many I would rate as "awesome". I too heard the place in Tellico was good but when we tried it, I honestly have had better BBQ from supermarket deli's. From the McMinn County area...to find a really good place, you are gonna have to do some driving, at least an hour+ away to find really really good BBQ.

There's a decent place in North GA around Ellijay. We will stop there and eat when the apples come in down Hwy 52 in the fall. The name of it is Pooles BBQ...it sits on a hill and the whole hillside is full of cutouts of pigs. I've only been there twice but both times it was really good; even my wife who dislikes BBQ will eat it there.

Not been to the place spoken about in Chattanooga area. I've eat at several places down there though but not even heard of the Hickory Pitt. Gonna have to check it out. I didn't like Sugar's BBQ down there, and that is one of there more advertised locations. I even saw it on a couple TV shows as being "the place" to get BBQ in Chattanooga and I didn't really care for it to be honest.

#3285393 - 07/08/13 08:24 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: mjac]
Vermin93
10 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
Some of you guys sound way too picky. \:D

I guess I'm easy to please and don't have a very discriminating palate when it comes to BBQ. I have rarely had pulled pork that wasn't either really good or pretty good.

We have plenty of brisket BBQ snobs down here in Texas and I am amazed at how they will critique brisket from places that I like and say that it's terrible. I just don't get it.

I am definitely going to take a drive to the Hickory Pit soon and check it out now that I know about it.

#3285406 - 07/08/13 08:34 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Vermin93]
Happy Birthday DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I know its weird but pulled pork doesn't do it for me. What I judge q joints on is brisket, ribs, and chicken. Mostly chicken because I get disappointed in ribs so much - and not a lot of people around here do brisket that doesn't look like roast beef.

Once you start cooking your own Que, you get real snobby about your Que.

#3285461 - 07/08/13 09:21 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Crow Terminator]
mjac
Spike

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
IMO, the good ones are few and far between over here.

We are certainly finding that to be the case.

Quote:
you are gonna have to do some driving, at least an hour+ away to find really really good BBQ.

I should have noted that down in Fladuh we don't mind the travel, we rather enjoy it as we are often on my motorcycle. In Tn, on the other hand, no bike but still don't mind the cage travel too much. Maybe I should park another bike in Tn \:\)

Quote:
There's a decent place in North GA around Ellijay. We will stop there and eat when the apples come in down Hwy 52 in the fall. The name of it is Pooles BBQ...it sits on a hill and the whole hillside is full of cutouts of pigs. I've only been there twice but both times it was really good; even my wife who dislikes BBQ will eat it there.

Good to know. We sometimes take the Elijay/Blue Ridge route to Madisonville. Is Pooles on 52?

Thanks

#3285465 - 07/08/13 09:24 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: DntBrnDPig]
mjac
Spike

Originally Posted By: DntBrnDPig
Once you start cooking your own Que, you get real snobby about your Que.

Be sure to post up the time and place of your next smoke! \:\)

#3285469 - 07/08/13 09:26 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Vermin93]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
Some of you guys sound way too picky. \:D

Not really picky...just know what I like and don't like. It's a lot easier when you get ahold of really REALLY good BBQ...it becomes the new standard that you compare all others to. For most people, Buddy's BBQ is "good" because they've never had it from anywhere else. Then once you've had some really good stuff, you wont even give Buddy's a second glance.

Rib n Loin in Chattanooga off of 153 (down from the Sportsman's Warehouse) is pretty decent as well. I wasn't fond of their ribs, but their sandwiches and hogback taters are really good. I judge my ribs by a simple way: if I have to chew on it like a dog on a bone, they ain't good ribs. But if I can just barely pick the bones up and they slide right out of the meat...then we're getting somewhere.

Poole's is not on Hwy 52. It's actually right off of State Rte 76...the main road through Ellijay. Not far from the Hwy 52. You'll see it from the main drag though...all those pig cutouts make it easy to spot.

And here is a sandwich from Poole's. This was a standard sized plate too...and the thing covers most all of it.

#3285504 - 07/08/13 09:56 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Crow Terminator]
Vermin93
10 Point

shocked Online
 Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
Not really picky...just know what I like and don't like. It's a lot easier when you get ahold of really REALLY good BBQ...it becomes the new standard that you compare all others to. For most people, Buddy's BBQ is "good" because they've never had it from anywhere else. Then once you've had some really good stuff, you wont even give Buddy's a second glance.

Rib n Loin in Chattanooga off of 153 (down from the Sportsman's Warehouse) is pretty decent as well. I wasn't fond of their ribs, but their sandwiches and hogback taters are really good. I judge my ribs by a simple way: if I have to chew on it like a dog on a bone, they ain't good ribs. But if I can just barely pick the bones up and they slide right out of the meat...then we're getting somewhere.

I watched a big time national BBQ contest on TV once. I believe it was near Kansas City. They talked to the judges about how they judged championship BBQ ribs. They said that if the rib meat fell easily off the bone then they were overcooked and were a losing entry. They talked about how the perfect doneness requires just a little bit of effort to chew the meat off the bone.

I don't how many people I've heard say they make great ribs where the meat "just falls off the bone".

It seems that what many people like and what wins BBQ championships aren't necessarily the same thing.

I can see being a little finicky over brisket and ribs because the finished product can vary greatly, but to me pulled pork is pulled pork. With pulled pork I think the sauce, if any is even used, plays a bigger role in differentiating one finished product from another. I cannot remember the last time I had a plate of pulled pork that I didn't like, and that includes chain BBQ joints and family run businesses. Maybe I just like pork too much. ;\)

#3285606 - 07/08/13 11:44 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Vermin93]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

That brings up a good point...how many BBQ joints have you been to that don't claim to have won an award for something?! I can't think of a single one that hasn't made some kind of claim like that. But I've eat at some where a deer turd sandwich might have been welcomed to get the taste out of your mouth from their award winning crap lol.

I agree though...pulled pork should be the easy one to master. The way I judge it is if their pulled pork ain't any count, then the other menu items most likely will not be either. Bradley's in Sweetwater was such a place to me nastyfied. Years ago it use to be called Wilson's Pit BBQ and had different owners and workers...and I remember it being pretty good. The chain restruant Sonny's BBQ left me stopping at McDonald's afterwards. I got a combo platter there with ribs/pulled pork..took a bite of each and I was ready to go. We stopped at a place in Cullman, Alabama last yr at the ASA Classic archery shoot. It was another one of those "award winning" joints...complete with newspaper clippings of the awards. I looked it up on Urban Spoon's website rating and it was half/half on likes and dislikes. Wife got the BBQ chicken and said it was decent. I got the combo of ribs/pulled pork, and brisket. The only thing I liked was their onion rings and homemade tater salad. Honestly I've had some of the pulled pork you can buy in a bowl at the grocery store to be better than some of the award winning places I've eaten. The Cades Cove brand store bought and Jack Daniels brand especially.

#3285611 - 07/08/13 11:47 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Crow Terminator]
mjac
Spike

Ok, got Pooles. Nice pics. Thanks.

164 Craig St East Ellijay, GA 30540‎

http://www.poolesbarbq.com/

#3285619 - 07/08/13 11:55 AM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: mjac]
mjac
Spike

I prefer to suck it off the bone, not to chew nor have it fall off.

Edited by mjac (07/08/13 01:34 PM)

#3285646 - 07/08/13 12:28 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Vermin93]
Happy Birthday DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I can see being a little finicky over brisket and ribs because the finished product can vary greatly, but to me pulled pork is pulled pork. With pulled pork I think the sauce, if any is even used, plays a bigger role in differentiating one finished product from another.

I agree to an extent, but I want bark on my pulled pork. And I dont want to HAVE to use sauce. Good BBQ shouldn't need it, IMO.

#3285676 - 07/08/13 12:54 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
BBQ Competitions have very specific judging criteria that makes it virtually impossible to win if you are not playing to the actual criteria. For example, at the Memphis BBQ Comp, the judging systems favors sweet and lean. As a result, most of the restaurants that enter use a different recipe or even outsource their BBQ to a pro team altogether since their restaurant meat doesn't meet the criteria for a potential winner (as a result, you have restaurants claiming "championship BBQ" that are serving an entirely different recipe than what won). Competition BBQ holds little water with me. I've had a ton of it and most of it is bad. If you want good BBQ, a BBQ competition is, for the most part, not the place to look.

As for the "falling off the bone" debate, I agree that ribs should not "fall off the bone." If it does, then the texture is too mushy and that is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to ribs. It should perfect balance of firmness and tenderness. You should be able to take a bite at a time with the meat staying intact to the bone, though it should not be tough.

#3285737 - 07/08/13 02:26 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Poser]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

We're in agreement on the ribs. What I was trying to say is I don't like mine like a piece of rawhide nor do I like the mushy texture like Poser mentioned. I think the fall off the bone style is closer to being right than the rawhide texture but there is a perfect balance between the two...and few be that achieve it that I've found. For a chain style place, Famous Dave's does a good job on ribs...most of the time. I've been there when they came out tough but more than the bad times, its came out good. Oh and ditto on the pulled pork/sauce comment....good flavored pulled pork is awesome without any sauce. Rib n Loin is that way for sure. I mostly use the sauces as a dip for fries/onion rings...although if I do find the sauce with the right amount of sweet/spice to it I will put it on the pork and everything else. Y'all have got me wanting BBQ now. lol
#3285841 - 07/08/13 04:33 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
10 Point

shocked Online
Competition BBQ holds little water with me. I've had a ton of it and most of it is bad. If you want good BBQ, a BBQ competition is, for the most part, not the place to look.

I'm not arguing with you because I've never been to a professional BBQ competition, but this just seems hard to believe. Wouldn't one expect some of the best BBQ to be at a BBQ competition? Even if it's not the best, I think it's logical to think that most of it would at least be good. I would like to think that I would really like it. Seriously - how can you mess up slow cooked meat to the point where it's bad? Plus, they are often using very high quality meat like wagyu beef brisket. It's got to be almost impossible to make it where I wouldn't like it.

#3285856 - 07/08/13 04:54 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
Competition BBQ holds little water with me. I've had a ton of it and most of it is bad. If you want good BBQ, a BBQ competition is, for the most part, not the place to look.

I'm not arguing with you because I've never been to a professional BBQ competition, but this just seems hard to believe. Wouldn't one expect some of the best BBQ to be at a BBQ competition? Even if it's not the best, I think it's logical to think that most of it would at least be good. I would like to think that I would really like it. Seriously - how can you mess up slow cooked meat to the point where it's bad? Plus, they are often using very high quality meat like wagyu beef brisket. It's got to be almost impossible to make it where I wouldn't like it.

You would think, but not so. The teams that are serious about winning are playing right into the judging system and not necessarily what they think is good.
You want to win Memphis In'l BBQ Competition, you have to use the leanest pork available with the least amount of marbling and basically candied sauce. Now, the judging system defines that narrowly as "Memphis BBQ", but you won't find a BBQ place in town that tastes anything like what the judges are looking for. How can you explain that? Its not about making "good" BBQ, its about making "winning" BBQ. Brisket competition can be a little different, but I'm seldom impressed with "competition grade BBQ." The best BBQ does not have to compete.

#3285867 - 07/08/13 05:09 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Vermin93]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

No, the Memphis BBQ circuit favors meats that use too much sugar and/or fruit juice, and it's usually injected. The best food at MiM BBQ Fest are generally cooking in the tents Thursday and Friday. The winning competition stuff just isn't that good. Furthermore, taste is only part of the overall score. Presentation is also key.

#3285949 - 07/08/13 07:34 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

No, the Memphis BBQ circuit favors meats that use too much sugar and/or fruit juice, and it's usually injected. The best food at MiM BBQ Fest are generally cooking in the tents Thursday and Friday. The winning competition stuff just isn't that good. Furthermore, taste is only part of the overall score. Presentation is also key.

Hopefully, this whole injecting meat thing is just a trend that will soon go away.

#3286080 - 07/08/13 09:40 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

Hopefully, this whole injecting meat thing is just a trend that will soon go away.

In the shoulder competition, there's not enough time to brine the meat, which is what everyone seems to think wins the shoulder division. So they bust out the horse needles.

#3286081 - 07/08/13 09:41 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Our team's competition meat tasted like it had been soaked in apple juice.

#3286125 - 07/08/13 10:10 PM Re: BBQ joints in southeast TN [Re: TAFKAP]
Vermin93
10 Point

shocked Online
You guys are making me hungry with your descriptions of this bad pork BBQ. I would love to try some!

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (bigrob, Poser, jakerri, deerlawman, Pic IN the Casa, KillenTime, 14 invisible) and 110 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85390 Topics
1031795 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.231 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.