Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3284789 - 07/07/13 03:14 PM Re: One more credit card paid off [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

CT, did you know that you will be taxed twice on what you're paying back as well? You're taxed on your initial paycheck income, and the payments you're making back to yourself have already been taxed, then, when you withdraw that money in the future, it will be taxed again a second time. Probably not a big deal, but still thought I'd throw that out there. ;).

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3284801 - 07/07/13 03:28 PM Re: One more credit card paid off [Re: MUP]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

Cash boys. Interest rate and credit will eat you up
Toyota
Apple

#3284995 - 07/07/13 06:40 PM Re: One more credit card paid off [Re: beachguy]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Congrats... Paid wife's car off last week...small piece of land we bought is next, then the house... Hope to be debt free within 5 yrs...hard to say no sometimes especially when near Harleys!!!! Lol

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#3285620 - 07/08/13 11:56 AM Re: One more credit card paid off [Re: Stalkhunter]
Voldeerfan
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mtn., Tennessee

Working that way myself.

Question on cutting up cards: I have always heard that allowing an account to be closed by not using, or closing it yourself once paid off, will count negatively toward your credit score. Any truth to that?

#3285657 - 07/08/13 12:36 PM Re: One more credit card paid off [Re: Voldeerfan]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Originally Posted By: Voldeerfan
Working that way myself.

Question on cutting up cards: I have always heard that allowing an account to be closed by not using, or closing it yourself once paid off, will count negatively toward your credit score. Any truth to that?

I will tell you what the bank loan officer told me...whether true or not, I have no clue but repeating what I was told. I was under the impression that the sooner you paid something off after borrowing/charging for it...that the better you were and the higher your credit score would be. I had getting loans to supposidly build my credit...I would go get say a $2,000 loan...and pay a little on it each month...then pay it off and go get another loan for X amount...pay on it til it was nearly paid off, then pay it off...repeat. This is how I had been told to build credit. The bank told me that instead of coming in to open a loan each time, to get a credit card...and to always keep something charged to it...I.e to never pay it off. They said credit was built over long periods of time by not missing payments and the longer period of time I did this, the higher my credit would be. They told me what I had been doing with my borrow...make payments a while...then pay it off in less than a year thing, was basically doing nothing at all except for actually lowering my credit score...cause for each time I got a new loan, when they ran my score and it would lower it a bit.

So what I gathered from them was...the banks and card companies are actually penalizing you for not being in debt and paying things off. They aren't making money off you via interest anymore if you pay everything off. So you must be rewarded for keeping loans/credit cards open as long as you can. As for me...I don't care anymore. I want to be debt free again! I have never done the borrowing from 401k thing but really didn't have a choice. But I figured while I was getting some out of it...I might as well get enough out to pay off everything. The payback amount was about $150 less per month than what I am paying for the credit card and loan I have.

#3285672 - 07/08/13 12:51 PM Re: One more credit card paid off [Re: Crow Terminator]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

Congrats !!!!

Being debt free is an awesome thing - I'm working on my house note now - but everything else is done.

And just to address the above from CT - they are full of beans -

You DON'T need any 'credit' to get a high score -

What you DO need is a high income to debt ratio - that's all it takes - trust me - my last credit score as 819 - and the only 'credit' I have/had is on my home (before this one) and I keep a Shell Credit card with a 400.00 limit for when I travel 'just in case' -

Screw them banks/credit card folks -

I do keep my banking local so they can see the 'funds' in my accounts so if the day comes I NEED to come to them - It should never come to that, BUT, all should have to say is look in accounts in your bank - thanks \:\)

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3285854 - 07/08/13 04:53 PM Re: One more credit card paid off [Re: ferg]
Stalkhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville TN

My credit score is almost back to 700 and i keep paying them off one at a time. I will get rid of one more by August ends. Then 1 left to go. Then I can dump on that, then I will get my Thrift or(401K) Loan paid off. That alone puts 350 a month back in my budget. That is auto taken out but i want it gone.

Μολων λαβε
I am a cancer Killer.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (X-Tennessean, SPickle, Remington742, PinchPoint, UTGrad, landman, 12 invisible) and 136 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89291 Topics
1044282 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.255 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.