Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3283007 - 07/05/13 12:48 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: Winchester]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

I didn't agree with his rant about crossbows and modern muzzleloaders, but the rest was pretty much spot on. I have always enjoyed reading stuff from the Wensels.

#3283030 - 07/05/13 01:55 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: scn]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Since we're going to nitpick, the two areas in which I disagree are, first, like scn, I really don't think what weapon is in your hands matters at all. It's about being a hunter of deer versus being a shooter of deer. You can carrying the highest tech bow, MZ, or rifle and still be a very good hunter of deer. If you can place yourself in close proximity to hunter-wary deer, it doesn't matter what you shoot the deer with. You still had to use the same level of skill to get that close as if you were carry a long-bow, side-hammer MZ, or open-sighted 30-30.

My second minor grip involves this passage:

"I can’t help but ask myself why high-tech hunters, once they “master” their hunting tools, don’t naturally and instinctively realize such and revert to increasing personal challenge levels one way or another rather than pushing onward."

My gripe is, why does hunting have to be about increasing personal challenge? I think most hunters do look at hunting through this prism, but I don't think they have to. I "did" the "increasing personal challenge" thing for many years. But eventually, I no longer wanted hunting to be about "raising the bar." I just wanted to hunt and enjoy time in the woods with friends and family. The joy of hunting became more about "having hunted"--the tradition and the soul-rejuvenating experience--rather than any personal accomplishments.

On the other hand, I couldn't agree more with the author's diatribe against hunting shows and those who "star" in them. TV hunting shows are the worst thing to happen to hunting in my lifetime.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3283043 - 07/05/13 02:11 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

I'm with you guys.. Good article except for the negative feelings on modern weapons... That and it takes him forever to get to the point lol

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3283111 - 07/05/13 03:30 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I think the author falls into the logical trap of seeing the weapon as the problem instead of how the weapon is used. Just because a deer can be killed at 500 yards with high-quality 7mm Mag doesn't mean a hunter has to use it that way (and I would suspect most don't). During rifle season, I carry a weapon that is easily accurate to 400 yards, but I still make the majority of my kills inside 35 yards. Does it not take the same skill to get a hunter-wary deer inside 35 yards, no matter if I have a open-sighted lever-action 30-30 or scoped bolt-action 308 in my hands?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3284530 - 07/07/13 09:50 AM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: BSK]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

At one point in my stage of hunting I combined the notion of increasing the personal challenge that also allowed me more time to be in the woods. To this day I still lean towards increasing the personal challenge but not so much with the weapon I choose to hunt with but rather the caliber of animal I pursue. I guess it's a good thing I hunt in Tn where there is somewhat of a cap on that "caliber" as opposed to the Midwestern states where the sky is the limit.

I've always thought that the Wensels were somewhat opinionated but I've admired them and their talents for a long time now. I have Gene's first book autographed and it probably had much to do with my transformation as a hunter.

#3284666 - 07/07/13 12:36 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: Winchester]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

great read, relates well to the other thread in this forim concerning hunting shows

#3285712 - 07/08/13 01:56 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: redblood]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Good article but in the end was it not just a plug to join PBS?

#3285917 - 07/08/13 06:31 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: WRbowhunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: WRbowhunter
Good article but in the end was it not just a plug to join PBS?

No, not a plug. They turn most applicants down.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3285946 - 07/08/13 07:30 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Couldn't make it halfway through. I agree with some of it, but sounds like a bitter, old man throwing a temper tantrum. I'd hate to get trapped into a conversation with this guy.

and this:

"Traditional deer camps were sold.... or only used for poker, booze, smoking, or to test drive new girlfriends."

and, what, pray tell, is wrong with that? \:D

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3286549 - 07/09/13 12:57 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: Poser]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Some good and correct things there, but ramblings of an old fart also are there. Hard for me to read.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (bigbuck2012, EJ1, wireman, Polar Kraft, bluball) and 83 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.