Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3282252 - 07/04/13 11:11 AM I reccomend this for...
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

My old friend Gene Wensel has written a thought provoking article. I think there maybe some on here who recognize his name. Good reading.

http://www.probowsociety.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1688

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3282269 - 07/04/13 11:29 AM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: bowriter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Good article. I agree with 95% of it.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3282272 - 07/04/13 11:32 AM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

My exact figure, 95%.

#3282513 - 07/04/13 04:53 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: bowriter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

I don't need some old fart to be telling me why I hunt, or how I should hunt. I hunt for my own reasons and don't feel like I'm any less of a hunter because of it.

I also find it kind of hypocritical that someone who earns income from the commercialization of hunting to be complaing about the commercialization of hunting.

FYI, I hunt with a longbow. If I was to ever go back to shooting a compound, it would be because I don't want to be associated with these trad hunters who think they're holier than most because of their methods.

#3282585 - 07/04/13 06:54 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I see nothing wrong with technology..times change... I don't care much for hunting shows... But that's about all I agree with him on, on the hunting side of things, but I didn't finish the article either... I hunt from modern tree stands with modern weapons of all types.. On managed property.. I've never been on a deer shoot.... It takes me many hrs scouting and hunting each yr to take a decent buck every yr or two...

#3282623 - 07/04/13 07:53 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: BHC]
bowriter
Non-Typical

\:\) Never ceases to amaze me.

#3282707 - 07/04/13 10:04 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: bowriter]
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

I had no issue at all with the first quarter of the article. The middle half I agreed on some points. I caused me to stop and remember the old men that lived around my grandfather's house who talked about buying surplus Springfield, Enfield, and Mauser from Woolworth's because that was what they could afford. Heck they still sold them there when I was a kid. I used to get in all kinds of trouble with grandma because I always wandered off to that section of the store and got grease all over my hands.

I remember them talking about buying the .30-30 because that was the deer gun to have, and that they all desired. Don't even get them started on the Winchester or Marlin debate. In reality there were probaby more Western Auto, Ted Williams and J.C. Whitney's floating around than anything. And bow hunting was something their kids did (my dad had a Fred Bear 65lb recurve I dry fired one to many times).

I had no issue with him pointing out that many hunters today are opportunist and that there has been something lost in the art of hunting. I agree. I am teaching myself, my children, and the boys that I am mentoring some of those lost arts, but we will use modern "weapons" to make the kill more humane.

And honestly I detest hunting shows. Most make me uncomfortable. One that sticks out in my mind showcased the three bladed turkey broad head that is designed to behead a turkey. Look the video up on YouTube it shows the turkey's head separating from it's body over and over. And then they used it on an Ostrich and it mortally wounded the bird and did not result in a quick clean kill. The part that bothered me was that it appeared to be done just to see if it could be done.

I could not agree more with him when he said that we are not at war with these animals. This is my not so humble opinion that is because quite apparent. There is little respect for the animal anymore. I have always viewed the taking of life as personal and intimate. I don't see much of that anymore today.

To be honest, I struggled with the idea of hunting at all for a while. But what I am learning about our food and the sources it comes from I am at a crossroads. Vegetarian or carnivore. If I eat meat, and I love steak, 90% or better will have to be from wild game. My struggle comes from my childhood. When I was young we ate lots of wild game. We were poor. I mean dirt poor. Beef was a luxury. My mom remembers being in tears when dad would come home from hunting with nothing to show for it. Once I talked myself through the I'm not "eating poor man's meat", I am actually providing better alternatives for my family, then was I okay.

The last 1/4 felt like an advertisement. His article was well written and an example of why I love America. It's his opinion and he has exercised his freedom to express himself. My choice is whether or not to exercise my freedom and read the article.

Sorry about that...Kinda got side tracked there...

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

#3282975 - 07/05/13 11:45 AM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: eweisner]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: eweisner
And honestly I detest hunting shows. Most make me uncomfortable. One that sticks out in my mind showcased the three bladed turkey broad head that is designed to behead a turkey. Look the video up on YouTube it shows the turkey's head separating from it's body over and over. And then they used it on an Ostrich and it mortally wounded the bird and did not result in a quick clean kill. The part that bothered me was that it appeared to be done just to see if it could be done.

I could not agree more with him when he said that we are not at war with these animals. This is my not so humble opinion that is because quite apparent. There is little respect for the animal anymore. I have always viewed the taking of life as personal and intimate. I don't see much of that anymore today.

I am 24 years old, I was raised to have respect for the animal that you are hunting. It's really disappointing to see how foolish and disrespectful some people are to the game that they are hunting. Also alot of it seems to be the younger generation that has this attitude. A lot of the Tv hunters are out to kill, they really don't even hunt, travel place to place each one having a guide that takes them to where they need to be. What's popular is the killing aspect of it, not the hunt. Don't get me wrong I love killing deer, but I love the hunt, not just the day of the hunt, I'm talking year round everything, all the thought and preparation that goes in to it. I hope the respect of the hunt and of the game doesn't fade away with time. It sure seems that it might. Of course I'm sure there will always be a few that share my same opinion

Edited by MattR (07/05/13 11:46 AM)

#3282979 - 07/05/13 11:54 AM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: MattR]
greygoose
6 Point

Loc: memphis

[/quote]

Edited by greygoose (07/05/13 11:55 AM)

#3282990 - 07/05/13 12:16 PM Re: I reccomend this for... [Re: greygoose]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Much truth to the article along with some hypocritical points as well!
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
116 registered (Master Chief, RodBone75, jlmustain, bigjohn, donkey5150, tnhunter83, 13 invisible) and 215 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99084 Topics
1165047 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.