Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 14 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3283025 - 07/05/13 01:50 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Winchester]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Winchester
 Originally Posted By: 102
Consistently killing mature bucks involves not only knowledge but time and opportunity. Knowledge not only of the animal but of the terrain and food sources. However, the overriding factor in consistently killing mature bucks on any land, private or public is luck.

EXACTLY!

I agree to a point, but when this feat is achieved on a consistent basis, much much more is involved than luck alone! I agree luck plays a role, but to do this consistently is far from lucky alone!

Yea right Winchester...try to prove skill over luck to the nay sayers!!!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3283035 - 07/05/13 01:58 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I agree that consistently killing old, wary deer, year after year, is far more than luck or time spent in the woods. Luck and time spent are helpful, but knowledge and skill are far more important, and can always be found attributal to consistent success.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3283081 - 07/05/13 02:58 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
jlmustain
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I was talking about for articles. I'd love to read a biologist/hunter's take on an array of subjects. I'm mostly interested in scouting for bow season on public lands right now. An article, for me, takes away the mystery of having to ask the right questions on a subject I don't know what I don't know about. Ha!

#3283082 - 07/05/13 03:00 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: jlmustain]
greygoose
6 Point

Loc: memphis

wow ,this one will go on for a while...let*s get it on

#3283105 - 07/05/13 03:25 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: jlmustain]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: jlmustain
I was talking about for articles. I'd love to read a biologist/hunter's take on an array of subjects. I'm mostly interested in scouting for bow season on public lands right now. An article, for me, takes away the mystery of having to ask the right questions on a subject I don't know what I don't know about. Ha!

Subscribe to Quality Whitetails by joining the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA). They have been publishing articles written by biologist and researcher professionals--but written in language intended for the average hunter--for many years. This magazine specializes in presenting the latest in deer biology and management research, but always written for the average hunter and/or land manager in mind.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3283363 - 07/05/13 09:27 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: BSK
I agree that consistently killing old, wary deer, year after year, is far more than luck or time spent in the woods. Luck and time spent are helpful, but knowledge and skill are far more important, and can always be found attributal to consistent success.

i know of one guy i consider an expert at it and he told me, the key is not knowing when to hunt, it is knowing when not to hunt. most hunter overeducate the deer with a blue collar worksmanship approach.

#3283402 - 07/05/13 10:04 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: redblood]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: redblood

i know of one guy i consider an expert at it and he told me, the key is not knowing when to hunt, it is knowing when not to hunt. most hunter overeducate the deer with a blue collar worksmanship approach.

Agreed!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3283469 - 07/06/13 12:06 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN

Agreed!

I totally agree.

I like to hunt butin many instances I don't hunt even the same property that my best bucks are on if the situations aren't right.

#3283633 - 07/06/13 09:51 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: redblood]
BSK
Non-Typical

Excellent point redblood. I believe the biggest mistake most hunters make is over-hunting locations.

#3283645 - 07/06/13 10:04 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

My first beef is his promotion of bad information--information (that moon cycles trigger breeding timing in deer) that has been known to be false for a number of years; . . . . . Unfortunately, they don't appear to be interested in that, and worse yet, it often appears their promotion of false information is linked to personal monetary gain.

Personally, I have no problem with people benefiting monetarily from the commercialization of deer hunting or knowledge of deer. But if you're going to "sell information," then sell accurate information.

When I first met BSK over a decade ago, I had to wonder about him. \:D
I actually thought about the only way he could kill a mature buck was to "ugly" one to death. Somewhere I have a pic of him with a buck, that does in fact appear to have died just from looking towards BSK.

But I've found most of what BSK says to be "spot on" correct. (Just pay no attention to him if he says anything about bowhunting.)

To add a personal observation from my experiences in killing a few and passing up a few more mature bucks in Tennessee, the number one factor effecting daytime mature buck movement during the Tennessee rut is NOT moon phase: It is temperature. No other factor stimulates daytime deer movement during TN's rut more than cooler than normal temperatures. Doesn't matter to me how much or when the bucks are rutting at night, based on the moon or any other factors. I want to see them during the day.

Excellent point redblood. I believe the biggest mistake most hunters make is over-hunting locations.

That has been very true in my experiences and observations.
Particularly, hunters are "nocturnalizing" localized deer movement simply by using a particular stand or location too often, and most often, when the conditions are very low probability. ONLY hunt a particular stand or "spot" when the conditions are IDEAL. You'll actually kill more older bucks if you instead go fishing when the conditions are not ideal to hunt a specific spot.

Page 4 of 14 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.