Tndeer Logo

Page 10 of 14 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#3288738 - 07/11/13 03:10 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Wes Parrish]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
IN MY AREA, most celebrity TV hunters would be eating tag soup. \:D

One thing that does make it "easier" for most of these TV hunters to kill an older buck is the fact that most shows are filmed in areas with VERY LITTLE if any prior hunting. What I'm saying is that deer move around a lot more during daylight when they haven't been hunted much or not hunted at all. Prime examples of this daytime deer movement (and relatively easy hunting) would be say if you were allowed to spend a few days hunting on President's Island or inside Cades Cove.

I absolutely agree Wes.

and further more, it isn't just the fact that these deer have low pressure, they often have landowners, guides, scouts (whatever you want to call them) doing stand placement, camera monitoring, and actually long range surveillance.

I know for a fact that there have been many times whereby a TV "pro" will get a call from an outfitter to be told what is being seen and where and when. These high percentage stands are often kept OFF LIMITS to "regular" clients in preparation for the film crew to show up and "endorse" a particular outfitter.

Anyone that has spent much time in front of the TV and watched many deer hunting shows has surely heard of Milk River Montana.
Maybe Hadley Creek Outfitters or McMillan River Adventures. And possibly Southern Sportsmans Lodge.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why these outfits would hold the primo spots for, well, Primos. I would too.

But I agree with BSK on this.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3288765 - 07/11/13 03:27 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: 102
. . . . .it isn't just the fact that these deer have low pressure, they often have landowners, guides, scouts (whatever you want to call them) doing stand placement, camera monitoring, and actually long range surveillance.

. . . . . These high percentage stands are often kept OFF LIMITS to "regular" clients in preparation for the film crew to show up and "endorse" a particular outfitter.

Very true.

All too often, the celebrity "hunter" simply shows up to do the shooting.

Another factor that makes spotting and patterning a particular buck easier in many Mid-West locations (Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, etc.) are the large open areas, whereas much of the Southeast is large wooded areas.

Along these lines, I went to a seminar a few years ago where the celebrity hunter speaker talked about how he got up an extra hour early each morning so he could monitor the multiple trail cams which were piping in the most recent (and real-time) cam pics to multiple monitors in his bedroom. It seemed almost like having GPS collars on each large buck, so you would know exactly where each was located as you headed at for the morning hunt.

After reviewing where all the deer were, which directions they appeared to be traveling, etc., it was much easier to decide which fence row and which stand to hunt and from which direction to approach in order to target a particular buck. The "target" animal in reviewing the live footage could also be in locating the first doe on the farm to come into estrous, and/or any estrous doe that was currently "hot". Go hunt there.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not condemning this hunter for using his real time trail cams, just pointing out that his strategy wouldn't work nearly so well in the pine forests of Georgia or a place like Catoosa WMA. In this particular case, he was doing his own hunting, and certainly, hunting skills are necessary. Just saying geographic location plays heavily into the outcome, including the density of bucks above a certain score or age. And that strategies which work easily and well on a large farm in Iowa may not work at all on in the Cherokee National Forest.

#3288779 - 07/11/13 03:40 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Wes Parrish]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online

One thing that does make it "easier" for most of these TV hunters to kill an older buck is the fact that most shows are filmed in areas with VERY LITTLE if any prior hunting. What I'm saying is that deer move around a lot more during daylight when they haven't been hunted much or not hunted at all. Prime examples of this daytime deer movement (and relatively easy hunting) would be say if you were allowed to spend a few days hunting on President's Island or inside Cades Cove.

Exactly.. it also doesn't hurt that they are hunting well managed properties where patterning deer is much easier than an unmanaged WMA in TN..heck, even WI.

I want to see a real hunting show about killing mature bucks, regardless of antler size, on public land. Problem is, most "pro" hunters wouldn't be successful enough to make enough episodes.

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3288785 - 07/11/13 03:48 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Master Chief]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: Master Chief

Exactly.. it also doesn't hurt that they are hunting well managed properties where patterning deer is much easier than an unmanaged WMA in TN..heck, even WI.

I want to see a real hunting show about killing mature bucks, regardless of antler size, on public land. Problem is, most "pro" hunters wouldn't be successful enough to make enough episodes.

It is not a television show but there is a video that is very similar to what you are talking about. It is called the secrets of Whitetail deer and it is available from Stoney Wolf Productions. Although most of the hunting is on private land, all of it has been hunted and none of the hunts are guided. The hunter does all the scouting, stand hanging and hunting. He even misses a shot or two.

There is a huge problem with a show such as you describe. Only 9-people will watch it and no company will sponsor it. But I will say thhis, as I have said before, some of those tv hunters will do as well as anybody on public land and probably better than most. Some of them are dang good hunters and had to be to get to where they are. It is just that the constraints of tv has ruined them. I beoieve it is called money.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3288869 - 07/11/13 05:19 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: 102]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: 102
and further more, it isn't just the fact that these deer have low pressure, they often have landowners, guides, scouts (whatever you want to call them) doing stand placement, camera monitoring, and actually long range surveillance.

I know for a fact that there have been many times whereby a TV "pro" will get a call from an outfitter to be told what is being seen and where and when. These high percentage stands are often kept OFF LIMITS to "regular" clients in preparation for the film crew to show up and "endorse" a particular outfitter.

Yup.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not against anyone for doing this or trying to make a living by filming/selling hunting shows. More power to them.

But I just wish they would be honest about all of this in the shows. I really think most hunters would understand if it was explained just what these shows have to do to get half a dozen huge bucks kills on film each year. Basically, they don't have the time to "hunt" like most hunters do.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3288872 - 07/11/13 05:22 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Basically, they don't have the time to "hunt" like most hunters do.

Basically, they just show up to make the "shot".

#3288879 - 07/11/13 05:31 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Vermin93]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
 Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
I bet your real thrilled about these 2013 season dates. I too hate when muzzy opens so late.

I hate the years when MZ opens as late as it possibly can, like this upcoming year. We're going to miss the vast majority at opportunities on mature bucks.

As you know there are a number of potential solutions to this issue. All of them end in "bow", and one of them looks to be relatively easy. Why miss it when you don't have to? Why not buy a crossbow and some bolts and lock and load?

As much as I would like to make a silly comment about how much I hate archery hunting, the real reason we do not hunt with bows or crossbows is the number of chances we get at any one particular buck. Although it has happened a handful of times, the vast majority of encounters we've had with old bucks are one-time deals. We get one chance and that's it. I don't want that one chance to be when I've got a 25-yard weapon in my hands and the buck is at 40 yards. Honestly, that really is the biggest reason.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3288925 - 07/11/13 06:59 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Master Chief]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: Master Chief

Same here. That would be a great learning experience. Problem is, it can't be done IMO. Even if it can be done, it has to be done ENOUGH to keep viewers watching and making money as a program. I just don't see that happening. Maybe it's just me. But i would absolutely love to see that as well, MC!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3288931 - 07/11/13 07:07 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I bet your real thrilled about these 2013 season dates. I too hate when muzzy opens so late.

I hate the years when MZ opens as late as it possibly can, like this upcoming year. We're going to miss the vast majority at opportunities on mature bucks.

As you know there are a number of potential solutions to this issue. All of them end in "bow", and one of them looks to be relatively easy. Why miss it when you don't have to? Why not buy a crossbow and some bolts and lock and load?

As much as I would like to make a silly comment about how much I hate archery hunting, the real reason we do not hunt with bows or crossbows is the number of chances we get at any one particular buck. Although it has happened a handful of times, the vast majority of encounters we've had with old bucks are one-time deals. We get one chance and that's it. I don't want that one chance to be when I've got a 25-yard weapon in my hands and the buck is at 40 yards. Honestly, that really is the biggest reason.

I pretty much have the same feelings on this, BSK. However, I do bow hunt and love it, but the chances of killing a 3 1/2 or older buck on our property during bow is somewhat unrealistic. Last year, we tried something different and didn't bow hunt the property until muzzy. We bow hunted elsewhere. When muzzy came, it was UNREAL the bucks we saw and deer in general! Much more than the previous 11 years! They didn't have a freakin clue \:D . We will be doing that from now on for sure. Having said that Vermin, I will probably bow hunt there towards the end of OCT - start or NOV....unless I have already killed a good buck.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3288971 - 07/11/13 08:00 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

GREAT point BSK, And EXACTLY why I so enjoy this "supreme" challenge.

I have related that story MANY times to friends and fellow hunters. On ALL of my mature buck kills in November, EACH AND EVERY time except for one, I have had mere seconds to draw, bleat to stop the deer while adjusting for yardage, pick a spot,and release the arrow.
It has worked out well (for me, not so good for the deer) each time except once. Shoulder bone hit.

You are right though, I have seen bucks several more times when things could have turned out differently, had I been using a rifle.
And on almost EVERY occasion, it has been a ONE TIME encounter.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

Page 10 of 14 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (chris1976, JAD, griz01, wildlifelover, T.J., bigcntry, 11 invisible) and 176 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95889 Topics
1122844 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.12 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.