Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3281968 - 07/03/13 10:18 PM BSK, gonna love this one
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
The author of this article might be single handed my spewing the largest amount if deer hunting fallacies on the Internet. You may recall our discussion on his previous post "Can you kill deer like the pros"

http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/07/02/2013-r...ired+To+Hunt%29

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3282116 - 07/04/13 08:20 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

This guy is the epitome of the problem I so often rail about: self-proclaimed experts (who usually come from the trophy hunter ranks) spouting junk biology and management information.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3282122 - 07/04/13 08:27 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Dang, the rutting moon is extremely late this year! November 17th.....I might not hunt until the second weekend in muzzy

\:D what idiots

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3282168 - 07/04/13 09:21 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: JCDEERMAN]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Wow??!!

#3282175 - 07/04/13 09:25 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: W.Seay]
jlmustain
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

content Online
Do you think any of his info' has to do with locale? I'm not saying what's he's written is correct, but it's not like he doesn't have any deer on the wall.

#3282225 - 07/04/13 10:21 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: jlmustain]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: jlmustain
Do you think any of his info' has to do with locale?

No. Nowhere in the whitetail's range is breeding timing driven by moon conditions. Each location will have its own unique breeding timing (peak dates), and that timing is the same year after year, regardless of full moon timing and whether or not hunters actually witness it. And that last part is critical. What hunters see and what is really going on biologically can be two very, VERY different things.

Quote:
I'm not saying what's he's written is correct, but it's not like he doesn't have any deer on the wall.

jlmustain,

I don't want the following comments to sound like I'm picking on you personally, because I'm certainly not. But this erroneous idea that because someone is a successful killer of big bucks makes them a knowledgeable biologist runs rampant within the hunting community. But think about it. That's like saying a highly successful serial killer would make a great doctor. If someone is great at killing people they must know everything there is to know about human biology. Would you have wanted Jeffrey Dahmer as your brain surgeon?

I'm not saying successful trophy hunters don't know anything about deer. What I'm saying is the knowledge required to be a successful trophy hunter is VERY different than what is required to understand deer herd biology and management. What I often see with successful trophy hunters is they make exceptionally savvy observations about deer behavior that help them pattern and understand daylight deer movements better than the vast majority of other hunters, but they jump to completely erroneous conclusions as to biologically WHY deer are doing the things they observe them doing.

Having sound biological knowledge of deer can make you a more successful hunter, but on its own, that knowledge won't make you a successful trophy hunter. Other more specialized knowledge is required. In the same vein, knowledge of successful tactics for trophy bucks does not make one a biologist. The two types of knowledge are quite different.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3282266 - 07/04/13 11:22 AM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
Bill Winke hit it dead on and nothing else needs to be said. Of course, he just said what I have always said...me and BSK. \:\)

Just something to think about. If a successful hunter,one who has killed 50-bucks over 150" is asked to name the chambers of a deer's stomachs, how many do you think can? Conversely, most deer biologist can quickly name the four chambers. How many do you think can kill 50-bucks over 150"?

I can put gas in my truck but I can't win the Indy 500.

Oh...Rumen, reticlum, omasum and abomasum.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3282314 - 07/04/13 12:18 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: bowriter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
Bill Winke hit it dead on and nothing else needs to be said. Of course, he just said what I have always said...me and BSK. \:\)

Just something to think about. If a successful hunter,one who has killed 50-bucks over 150" is asked to name the chambers of a deer's stomachs, how many do you think can? Conversely, most deer biologist can quickly name the four chambers. How many do you think can kill 50-bucks over 150"?

I can put gas in my truck but I can't win the Indy 500.

Oh...Rumen, reticlum, omasum and abomasum.

which of the four chambers contains the green privet pesto like when I accidentally cut into a does stomach last October? Stuff was nasty

#3282320 - 07/04/13 12:22 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: catman529]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
Catman, in all likely hood, that would be the abomasum. That is where pepsin is produced and that is probably what you are talking about. However, mostly digested green browse could be found in any from number one, the rumen on back and might look the same. You can find out by tasting it. The pepsin is slightly bitter and slithly acidic tasting. The green bwose should not be bitter.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3282356 - 07/04/13 12:56 PM Re: BSK, gonna love this one [Re: bowriter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
Catman, in all likely hood, that would be the abomasum. That is where pepsin is produced and that is probably what you are talking about. However, mostly digested green browse could be found in any from number one, the rumen on back and might look the same. You can find out by tasting it. The pepsin is slightly bitter and slithly acidic tasting. The green bwose should not be bitter.
OK, I will bring a McDonalds straw in the woods with me for test tasting. Does the frost affect the flavor? What if the deer has been browsing on poison ivy?

Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO, Bnpainter
13382 Registered Users
Who's Online
129 registered (Smokyrider, doubledownranch, stryker, 444 Fan, Fearless, dh1984, 20 invisible) and 181 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13382 Members
42 Forums
95648 Topics
1119436 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.08 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.