Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3280475 - 07/02/13 09:32 AM Timing Rut Off Fawn Births?
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

I'm seeing pictures of does and fawns already on trail cam pics in some parts of Middle TN but our doe still haven't dropped fawns (Marshall County). I would guess the rut in our area runs later than the places where doe have already dropped fawns.

Is comparing the birth of fawns in your respective area a good way of judging when the rut peaks in your area?

#3280482 - 07/02/13 09:38 AM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: UTGrad]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

If you can get enough accurate birth dates its a great way of counting back and timing the previous yrs rut.
#3280486 - 07/02/13 09:44 AM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: Winchester]
UTGrad
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester
If you can get enough accurate birth dates its a great way of counting back and timing the previous yrs rut.

How can I do that? Trail cam pics?

#3280497 - 07/02/13 09:57 AM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: UTGrad]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: UTGrad

Possibly if you can get enough fawns on camera at a very early age where you can be sure they are within a few days old you could get close. Problem will be getting those pics I would think, as the does don't move them much that early. Once your seeing fawns traveling with their mothers they are older than most think.

#3280514 - 07/02/13 10:25 AM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: UTGrad]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Is comparing the birth of fawns in your respective area a good way of judging when the rut peaks in your area?

IF you could collect enough actual birthdates, yes, it would be good data fro establishing peak breeding dates. However, that is much easier said than done. Even researchers with the best of resources have a very difficult time establishing actual fawn birthdates. Basically, you have to actually witness the birth, which is extraordinarily rare. Just collecting "I saw a fawn today" or "I got a trail-cam picture of a fawn" type data won't cut it.

In my opinion, other data can be gathered that will provide much better "peak breeding" info than anything that can reasonably be collected about birth dates.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3280518 - 07/02/13 10:26 AM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: Winchester]
BSK
Non-Typical

Possibly if you can get enough fawns on camera at a very early age where you can be sure they are within a few days old you could get close. Problem will be getting those pics I would think, as the does don't move them much that early. Once your seeing fawns traveling with their mothers they are older than most think.

Exactly. Fawns don't move with their mother consistently until they are almost a month old.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3280752 - 07/02/13 03:04 PM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: BSK]
UTGrad
16 Point

Great info guys...thanks.
#3281141 - 07/02/13 11:23 PM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: UTGrad]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

Maybe instead of looking for fawns and figuring out the age, monitor pregnant looking does.. Many times this is very obvious, it can also be very obvious when one loses her fawns.. If your gettin enough pregnant does Pics on a certain date count back and assume peak breeding is likely no earlier than this. Once you quit getting pregnant looking does, count back and maybe this is a rough estimate of your peak breeding date...

#3281277 - 07/03/13 07:37 AM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: BHC]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BHC
Maybe instead of looking for fawns and figuring out the age, monitor pregnant looking does.. Many times this is very obvious, it can also be very obvious when one loses her fawns.. If your gettin enough pregnant does Pics on a certain date count back and assume peak breeding is likely no earlier than this. Once you quit getting pregnant looking does, count back and maybe this is a rough estimate of your peak breeding date...

In my experiences, the best estimates of peak breeding dates can be acquired by monitoring scrapes with trail-cameras and by eyeball. Usually a 7-14 day window will exist when trail-cams will indicate the oldest bucks have stopped visiting scrapes day or night, and when visually scrapes appear to have "gone dead." Trail-cam pics will show that the scrapes are still being visited by younger bucks during that period, but the bucks are not pawing open the scrapes. Once peak breeding is past, mature bucks will again start visiting the scrapes and the scrapes will be reopened regularly.

Often hunters witness this period of scrape inactivity and erroneously assume the rut has "turned off," when in reality, actual breeding is peaking. In fact, peak breeding often coincides with a lull in daylight buck activity that is noticeable to hunters. Daylight buck activity associated with breeding does not peak when breeding peaks. It peaks before and after peak breeding with a noticeable one to two week lull in between (which is the actual peak of breeding).

#3281623 - 07/03/13 02:01 PM Re: Timing Rut Off Fawn Births? [Re: BSK]
benellivol
4 Point

That makes sense. I see more bucks on a property I hunt the last week of bow season than at any other time
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Polar Kraft, kldeerkiller, Redwing, cardia10, rbreedi1) and 101 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.