Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3280958 - 07/02/13 07:37 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: BSK
That said, considering the increase in quality if the $150-200 cams in the last year or so, I just can't justify spending $600 on a camera.

Thats what I'm trying to get at. Maybe a few years back, but not now. Technology is improving rapidly.

Reconyx would be better off decreasing their prices. Most hunters will catch on to the fact that they simply aren't worth it.

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3280961 - 07/02/13 07:40 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
Reconyx would be better off decreasing their prices. Most hunters will catch on to the fact that they simply aren't worth it.

I agree completely. Considering the improvements in both technology and quality control of some of the Chinese cams in the last 2 years, Reconyx is pricing themselves right out of the market.

And that would be too bad, because they make some great products.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3280966 - 07/02/13 07:43 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
It's also hard to put a price on cheap cams' failing to get the pics. I can put a price on my time, and you will spend more time working with less reliable cams that miss a lot of pics a Reconyx would get.

Most $150 trail cameras will catch anything that passes by.

I couldn't disagree more. How many Reconyx cams have you run side by side with a $150 cam to test your theory?

Well, you got me there I guess since I never have had a Reconyx, I wouldn't know.. but still, $600 for a trail camera?

-John Muir

#3280971 - 07/02/13 07:48 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

And that would be too bad, because they make some great products.

And thats why they really need to lower the price. If Reconyx sold there product to where they only profited about $50, they would probably dominate the market and make a lot more money. Right now they're trying to use a high price to stress their quality. I doubt they make more money than companies like Primos, Moultrie, or even WGI.

Edited by Master Chief (07/02/13 07:55 PM)

-John Muir

#3280997 - 07/02/13 08:27 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: Master Chief]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

As stated previously, I try to think in terms of price and value, from a broad perspective, and over time. Then go for all the value for which I can afford that initial price.

Consider . . . . . .

What if the average $600 Reconyx works better and works flawlessly for 6 years? Then your investment is $100 a year?

What if the average $200 cam works only 85% of the time and fails to work at all after 2 years? Guess what, the cost remains $100 a year, yet you get less reliability and fewer pics.

Although the gap is closing on some of these differences, one big difference in the recent past has been battery life and reliability. Many cheap cams would go thru the batteries much faster, sometimes costing you more on batteries over a 2-yr period than you paid for the cam. This was particularly true when you needed to replace the batteries every 3 to 6 weeks.

Now, many cams will go 6 months to a year on a single set of batteries. But for how long can you trust that cam to work properly for several months without checking on it? If you make special trips to check on cams simply because you're afraid they might not being working, then you need to add that extra gas cost to your total cost.

Bottom line is there's much more to think about than just the initial cost.

#3281013 - 07/02/13 08:45 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
Master Chief
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
As stated previously, I try to think in terms of price and value, from a broad perspective, and over time. Then go for all the value for which I can afford that initial price.

Consider . . . . . .

What if the average $600 Reconyx works better and works flawlessly for 6 years? Then your investment is $600 a year?

What if the average $200 cam works only 85% of the time and fails to work at all after 2 years? Guess what, the cost remains $100 a year, yet you get less reliability and fewer pics.

Although the gap is closing on some of these differences, one big difference in the recent past has been battery life and reliability. Many cheap cams would go thru the batteries much faster, sometimes costing you more on batteries over a 2-yr period than you paid for the cam. This was particularly true when you needed to replace the batteries every 3 to 6 weeks.

Now, many cams will go 6 months to a year on a single set of batteries. But for how long can you trust that cam to work properly for several months without checking on it? If you make special trips to check on cams simply because you're afraid they might not being working, then you need to add that extra gas cost to your total cost.

Bottom line is there's much more to think about than just the initial cost.

Like I said, I've never had one crap out on me so I guess thats why I have a hard time agreeing with you. I've also actually never spent over $100-one of our $50 Tasco's is 4 years old, 3 are 3yrs, our WGI is 2, and we have two new Bushnell cams. My first cam check of the year will be the 20th so lets hope this good luck continues.

The guy I run cams/hunt with had a night vision Tasco that quit though.

Edited by Master Chief (07/02/13 08:48 PM)

-John Muir

#3281024 - 07/02/13 08:57 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: Master Chief]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
 Originally Posted By: CAW
No Reconyx camera is worth 1/2 the price they charge. I can buy 4 $150 cams and get WAY more pics out of them.

I agree 100%!

I disagree. I would buy a $300 black flash Reconyx in a heartbeat! They are worth every penny

Even at $300 you could still buy two cheaper cams and get more pics. At $600, I feel bad for whoever wastes their money.. Especially on the white-flash model.

For me, the longevity and assurance (piece of mind) knowing FOR SURE that my camera did its job is worth spending more. I have had one of basically every type of cheaper model out there. The worrying and the pain of hoping they took pics is out of this world. I still have and use a few of them that work, but I also have a pile that have failed and might as well use for target practice. With Reconyx, I know 100% that if something walked in front of it, he will be on camera. We a talking 4 or 5 years now.

Having said all of that, yes the price is absolutely ridiculous and the fact they they still haven't dropped the price, even in the least bit, may indicate they never will. If that is the case, I won't ever buy another one ever again. I personally think that Reconyx feels the market of higher quality cheaper trail cams hasn't reached its mark yet (and I agree). From a business standpoint, this is smart because there is not a median yet. Things will change when there is a high quality black flash camera that comes out for around $300-$350. This may or may not ruin this company in the long run. I was just stating the fact that at $300 (black flash) Reconyx, I'd be the first in line

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3281034 - 07/02/13 09:09 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
Things will change when there is a high quality black flash camera that comes out for around $300-$350.

Somewhere about 3 years ago, I had thought that was the case when I decided to buy two Uways instead of one Reconyx.
Totally wasted my money on the Uways, despite their initial good reviews. Too bad I didn't buy one Reconyx, which would still be working. None of the Uways (which included the warranty replacements) made it to the 2-yr mark.

My next purchase of a Bushnell ended similarly. It never worked properly (main issue was an unpredictable "run-away" trigger) where it would often run down fresh batteries in a couple days, and filling up the card with worthless pics. Quite frustrating when you come back a couple or three weeks later and discover.

Even more frustrating when you pay cash at Bass Pro and don't keep up with the receipt --- didn't even get a replacement for that one (although it was my fault for losing the receipt). Guess I just had too much trust in reputable names like Bushnell or Leupold. I do hear the current model Bushnells are a big improvement. Haven't heard anything recently about the Leupolds. Am hoping the new Browning and Cabela's cams turn out as advertised, although I have reservations on trying them myself.

#3281438 - 07/03/13 10:35 AM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: Wes Parrish]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Im telling you guys, dlc covert black 60 is the best bang for the $$! $139.00

Edited by W.Seay (07/03/13 10:35 AM)

#3281591 - 07/03/13 01:09 PM Re: New Reconyx cameras [Re: W.Seay]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
Im telling you guys, dlc covert black 60 is the best bang for the $$! $139.00

I've recently heard others saying similar about those.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (JCS, yellowlabmann, FrontierGander, TX300mag, mayberryrick, gtk) and 88 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.