Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3280595 - 07/02/13 11:45 AM "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

No surprise here, it comes from Long John Silvers. Eating any fish at fast food restaurants is taking food quality to a entirely new level of lowliness. Health issues aside, I've just gotten where I can't stand the taste of farmed fish. I'd think I'd rather eat a piece of wood.

http://eater.com/archives/2013/07/02/the-worst-meal-in-america-is-at-long-john-silvers.php

The newest menu addition at Long John Silver's , the "Big Catch," might be mostly fish, but it is also currently the Worst Restaurant Meal in America (at least according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest). These masters of the ever-dubious annual Xtreme Eating Awards (which identifies the most caloric dishes in America) couldn't wait until next year's roundup to tell the country about the chain's fried haddock platter with hushpuppies and onion rings that clocks in at "only" 1,320 calories.

The CSPI reports that along with 3,700 milligrams of sodium and 19 grams of saturated fat, the Big Catch contains 33 grams of trans fat. Which, as the brains at the Consumerist have discovered, is 16 times the American Heart Association's recommended daily maximum intake, aka more than two weeks' worth of trans fats.

Here's what CSPI Executive Director Michael F. Jacobson had to say about the Big Catch (with lots of fish/fishing puns): "Long John Silver's Big Catch meal deserves to be buried 20,000 leagues under the sea ... This company is taking perfectly healthy fish and entombing it in a thick crust of batter and partially hydrogenated oil. The result? A heart attack on a hook. Instead of the Big Catch, I'd call it America's Deadliest Catch."

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3280614 - 07/02/13 12:12 PM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: Poser]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
I've just gotten where I can't stand the taste of farmed fish. I'd think I'd rather eat a piece of wood.

That's an interesting comment. I'm getting into aquaponics and plan on raising tilapia. Do you think the food these fish are fed are the issue?

#3280632 - 07/02/13 12:30 PM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: DntBrnDPig
I've just gotten where I can't stand the taste of farmed fish. I'd think I'd rather eat a piece of wood.

That's an interesting comment. I'm getting into aquaponics and plan on raising tilapia. Do you think the food these fish are fed are the issue?

Yeah, the grain fed fish in particular just taste incredibly bland to me. If you notice, shrimp that isn't wild, has this very "tight", snappy texture to it. I think that's because they give them some kind of growth hormone supplement. The flesh itself is almost tasteless.

#3280847 - 07/02/13 05:22 PM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Monday morning shoney's breakfast buffet in Greenwood, MS would get my vote for worst.

I too notice a big difference between the flavor of TWRA hatchery-raised catfish in the Family Fishing Lakes and wild-raised catfish from the TN river.

#3280879 - 07/02/13 06:00 PM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: WMAn]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

yep the catfish from the Tn river is full of PCB'S & no consumption is advised or low amount. you pick your poison & I will pick mine, we all have posted stuff way over what LJS serves every day,farm raised any thing will never tase like any thing wild,not even worth trying to compare IMO

#3281349 - 07/03/13 08:48 AM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: mike243]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: mike243
yep the catfish from the Tn river is full of PCB'S & no consumption is advised or low amount. you pick your poison & I will pick mine, we all have posted stuff way over what LJS serves every day,farm raised any thing will never tase like any thing wild,not even worth trying to compare IMO

The latest TWRA contaminate report (dated 2010) lists the Watts Bar section of the TN River (Roane, Meigs,Rhea & Loudon), but that's all I see. There is still commercial catfishing taking place from Chickamauga Dam on downstream. I generally do not keep catfish over ~20 pounds. In fact, Prefer them in the 1 to 5 pound range, which should be perfectly safe.

http://tennessee.gov/twra/fish/contaminants.html

That being said, I would like to see a PCB/mercury study done on a group of Memphians who eat Catfish out of the MS river, Memphis section, on very regular basis (multiple times a week) -that can't possibly be good. On the other hand, I'd eat catfish out of the Memphis section of the MS river before I would eat at LJS.

#3281451 - 07/03/13 11:01 AM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: Poser]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

Ho-Ho's Chinese Buffet- about an hour west of Memphis, in Arkansas.

Me and my son stopped at this place about a week ago. I have only asked for my money back one time before this.

I know Chinese Buffets get bad reviews health-inspection wise but this places food was horrid.

Plus the food was reeeeeaaalllly bad.

#3281562 - 07/03/13 12:48 PM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: DntBrnDPig]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I wouldn't feed a dying goat tilapia....but that's just me.

#3281587 - 07/03/13 01:07 PM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: TAFKAP]
huntinkev
8 Point

Loc: East Tenn

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

I wouldn't feed a dying goat tilapia....but that's just me.

I used to get tilapia from time to time......until I saw on a program a few weeks ago the conditions at these tilapia farms. It was a pretty bad scene, I will ever eat tilapia again.

#3281615 - 07/03/13 01:48 PM Re: "Worst" Restaurant Meal in America [Re: huntinkev]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

I know a guy that has tilapia in his pond.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
THEdonkey0515, muddyhunter, davey1230, MisquitoNet, strutter rutter
13079 Registered Users
Who's Online
53 registered (TN Whitetail Freak, FLTENNHUNTER1, BuckDropper, Model 1, meat dog man, drrxnupe, 5 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88162 Topics
1032794 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.225 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.