Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3280301 - 07/02/13 06:13 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: EastTNHunter]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

content Online
Just make sure you do something you like. Money comes second. And don't waste too much time trying to decide what you want to do. I've had too many friends go to college only to change majors multiple times, then graduate and didn't know what they wanted to do.
#3280332 - 07/02/13 07:09 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: jb3]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Don't focus on a specific job, focus on a field or industry. Lastly, happiness is about you and your attitude. You can always change jobs if you fall into something you don't like, just be careful not to pigeon hole yourself into a very specific job field w/your education. Also remember that you will get a lot of advice from people who aren't successful so take everyone's advice, including mine, with a grain of salt. Don't be afraid to want more and take chances as long as they're educated decisions.

Edited by BlountArrow (07/02/13 07:10 AM)

#3280990 - 07/02/13 08:13 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
tndad
8 Point

Loc: nashville

Originally Posted By: BuckHunter511
The medical field doesn't interest me one bit. My dad is an eye doctor and I just have no interest in it.

good choice . you get in med field and then where do you go when it gets old- and it will- believe me- sonographer 25 yrs

#3280999 - 07/02/13 08:32 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: tndad]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

I work in fisheries. Never intended to when I started utility for W&F but that's where my heart lies now. I was sure I wanted to work with game animals and do wildlife management.
My best advice to you if you wish to pursue the wildlife and fisheries is be willing to relocate (you can ways move back home and its a lot easier to find a job if you already have one). Volunteer every single chance you get. Focus on getting internships as soon as you start school. Get your masters. Have fun and get good grades.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3281015 - 07/02/13 08:46 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: rukiddin?]
old guy
6 Point

Loc: Millington , Tn. -- Shelby c...

If you have to work for tuition consider joining the service. Not only do they have fields of mos ( military occupational standards ) in wildlife related areas, you can sign up for , after your stint is up they will pay for your college education. A win win situation. Try to stay out of ground combat if you can. Its hard to carry your books around in those packs. Been there , done that.
Old Guy -- Retired Federal Firefighter -- Vietnam Vet 68-69-70

Edited by old guy (07/02/13 08:47 PM)

#3281063 - 07/02/13 09:37 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Loc: Cumberland County,Tennessee, U...

How open is the job market for a degree in that? What types of jobs could I obtain? Feel free to PM me!
 Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
My wife has a degree from UT in animal science. She has an upper level position with the local farmers Coop. The pay is good, vacation is good, as is the benefits. She gets to work with the local farmers recommending product and solving problems. What I like best is that she gets her farm and we don't actually have to do any work.

At the same time, if I was you, I'd get a hold of Diehard. He's passionate about what he does and wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction.

Good luck with your decisions.

#3281186 - 07/03/13 03:56 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Just went through this having graduated recently. Personally I would steer clear of wildlife/fisheries. I know way to many unemployed or underemployed people working for pennies in that field. I started in wildlife and thats why I switched. I switched to agriculture. Its definitely not doing very great either, especially around here, but I was able to get a pretty good job right out of college. A field Im close to now with my work that seems to do very well is geotechnical engineering and people with geology as well as engineering degrees.

#3281199 - 07/03/13 05:28 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: smstone22]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

ANY government wildlife job, whether state and ESPECIALLY federal desperately needs more hunting/fishing mentality people. US Fish and Wildlife has been infiltrated by anti-hunting/I love animals types that are ruining that service.

#3281203 - 07/03/13 05:31 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: smstone22]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: smstone22
Just went through this having graduated recently. Personally I would steer clear of wildlife/fisheries. I know way to many unemployed or underemployed people working for PENNIES in that field.

BuckHunter511 I hope you read the statement above and took it to heart. I don't mean to come off as negative or disrespectful to folks in this field. Similarly, I have a cousin who majored in wildlife and fisheries got her degree, couldn't find a job paying anymore than squat, so she had to go back to school and chose to get a degree in nursing where she could actually make some $$.

I'll get on my soapbox here because I think colleges grossly unprepare people for the job field and how to be successful. I think people put way too much emphasis on passion, happiness, and tunnel vision themselves into a career that has little to no opportunities to excel. To me, passion, happiness, all that touchy feely stuff is internal, you've either got it or you don't. I've worked a sh!tty job or two in my life and I can honestly say I was not terribly unhappy and I was still passionate about doing a good job even when the conditions were horrible and my boss was a "richard cranium". Again, those are personal values that are either inside you or not.

There are just a lot of opportunities out there that require thinking outside of the box. Just because you love the outdoors DOES NOT mean that needs to be your daily job. Just because you are incredibly passionate about wildlife, nature, etc DOES NOT mean that should be your daily job. Example: I am extremely passionate about managing property for deer and turkey (we have a small farm and a lease). I think I enjoy doing that more than I do hunting sometimes to be honest. If I could do that everyday and make a career out of it would I? Probably not. I enjoy working a job that affords me the time and resources to do the things I'm truly passionate about after the work day is done or on the weekends IF/AS I SO CHOOSE. This doesn't mean at work I'm a lazy employee, an un-fit employee, or that I dislike my job. I love my job as a matter of fact, but am I necessarily PASSIONATE about my job...eh, yeah kind of. I'm more passionate about being the best I can be and doing the best job I can do everyday and have been blessed in a way that those efforts have been rewarded.

#3281219 - 07/03/13 05:52 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BlountArrow]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
14 Point

Loc: TN

I tend to agree with BlountArrow. I see a lot of posts about being happy with what you do. Let me tell you, go where there's money. If you make enough money you can still be passionate about the outdoors.

I work in the wildlife field, in a round-about way. I love what I do and make decent money but I have two brothers that went in totally different directions and one is and the other is really close to being millionaires.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
128 registered (harley 2008, Dodge Man, THEdonkey0515, edtcase, deadhead870, DaveB, 14 invisible) and 159 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94063 Topics
1098903 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.65 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.