Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3280033 - 07/01/13 06:52 PM What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!!
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Loc: Cumberland County,Tennessee, U...

I am fixing to go to college and want so input from you guys. I love animals and wildlife, I feel that I want an outdoors,animal career, or agricultural that makes decent to good money so I could support a future family very well. Vet medicine would be great ,but I feel I am not going to get into vet school ( I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I still make A's and B's). Wildlife biology sounds so cool but not sure if there is any money in it (plus it's hard to land a job for state DNR). I am open to all suggestions. Thoughts?

#3280051 - 07/01/13 07:11 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

What college are u looking at attending?

#3280054 - 07/01/13 07:12 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

It is easier to become a medical doctor than it is to become a vet. UT takes less than 90 students into the vet program each year.

As for wildlife biology, now is as good a time as any to get into the field. There will be a bunch of jobs opening up over the next several years as people retire. The TWRA has a mandatory retirement age of 60, and some job positions can be extended to age 62. Other state are hiring as well. I have a friend that just got on with Florida, straight out of school.

There are a lot of other job opportunities besides TWRA as well. You have the national park service, the us forest service, TVA, private consulting firms (they are hiring all the time), and many other opportunities.

The important thing to remember is to do something you love. No matter how much you make,it is not worth being miserable every day when you go to work. I have been there and done that!

If you are interested in my information on pursuing a wildlife career, send me a PM. We can talk and I can give you all the ins and outs of what it takes to get there. It is what I do every day.

#3280055 - 07/01/13 07:13 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Diehard Hunter]
buckaroo
8 Point

Loc: easttennessee

Surveyor, is what I wished I had done.
#3280057 - 07/01/13 07:16 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: buckaroo]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Any decent money in that field?

#3280064 - 07/01/13 07:23 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

content Online
Go in the medical field

Yeti Tundra 50
Costa 580G Fathom and Hammerhead
Crown Royal

#3280065 - 07/01/13 07:23 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

I am attending UT Knoxville or Tn Tech if I am not accepted into UTK. PM sent

#3280066 - 07/01/13 07:24 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

The medical field doesn't interest me one bit. My dad is an eye doctor and I just have no interest in it.

#3280075 - 07/01/13 07:35 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

My career in the fire service has been far better than I ever expected. Pay is good enough, benefits are great, job security excellent, and the schedule is the BEST for someone who loves hunting and fishing. With the schedule I work, I would get 60 four-day weekends if I never took off work. \:\)

Team Peapicker

#3280082 - 07/01/13 07:42 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

My wife has a degree from UT in animal science. She has an upper level position with the local farmers Coop. The pay is good, vacation is good, as is the benefits. She gets to work with the local farmers recommending product and solving problems. What I like best is that she gets her farm and we don't actually have to do any work.

At the same time, if I was you, I'd get a hold of Diehard. He's passionate about what he does and wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction.

Good luck with your decisions.

#3280089 - 07/01/13 07:49 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Professional Wrasslin' pays pretty well.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3280100 - 07/01/13 08:02 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Nitro
Spike

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

My suggestion- whatever you do, make sure you specialize in something. ( education, engineering, wildlife biology, etc.) . There are a zillion college grads out there with general degrees like business administration and communications. Not saying you can't get a job with those type degrees but if you set yourself apart from the masses, your chances will be better at finding a job.
#3280109 - 07/01/13 08:09 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Nitro]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

UTK and TN TECH are both good options for a wildlife and fisheries degree. I am partial to UTK. It worried me this year when my community college students came within one question of beating TN TECHs quiz bowl team at conclave.....and they had upper division students and a grad student on their team. I had freshmen and sophomores.

A great person to contact at UTK would be Dr. David Buehler. 865-974-7126. He has been there for about 20 years and knows what is going on.

#3280113 - 07/01/13 08:10 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: BuckHunter511
I am fixing to go to college and want so input from you guys. I love animals and wildlife, I feel that I want an outdoors,animal career, or agricultural that makes decent to good money so I could support a future family very well.

I guess you need to figure out what decent money means to you. Just because you love the outdoors and wildlife doesn't mean that should be your "day job". The words "Animals" and "wildlife" and "decent money" usually don't belong in the same sentence unless you are a vet in my experience.

#3280140 - 07/01/13 08:44 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BlountArrow]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

Just saying...money isn't everything. Do something you'll like and everything else will fall into place.

#3280165 - 07/01/13 09:20 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: UPSman]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i would say wildlife and fisheries. one of my recent grad students is at UT and absolutely loves it. spent last fall in ky, looking for intestinal worms in harvested elk rumens. she was premed and said she hated it

#3280174 - 07/01/13 09:27 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Nitro]
Nhill
8 Point

Loc: Maryville, TN

Originally Posted By: Nitro
My suggestion- whatever you do, make sure you specialize in something. ( education, engineering, wildlife biology, etc.) . There are a zillion college grads out there with general degrees like business administration and communications. Not saying you can't get a job with those type degrees but if you set yourself apart from the masses, your chances will be better at finding a job.

Excellent advise

#3280227 - 07/01/13 10:50 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: buckaroo]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Originally Posted By: buckaroo
Surveyor, is what I wished I had done.

Its a great outdoors job, will probably take 6 years to get your license, college can knock off 4 of those years

Anything that requires a license its a good field to get into

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3280256 - 07/02/13 02:48 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Nitro]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online

Very good advise.

Edited by BamaProud (07/02/13 02:50 AM)

#3280279 - 07/02/13 05:02 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BamaProud]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: BamaProud

Very good advise.

Yep. Wish I had done this exactly.

#3280301 - 07/02/13 06:13 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: EastTNHunter]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Just make sure you do something you like. Money comes second. And don't waste too much time trying to decide what you want to do. I've had too many friends go to college only to change majors multiple times, then graduate and didn't know what they wanted to do.
#3280332 - 07/02/13 07:09 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: jb3]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Don't focus on a specific job, focus on a field or industry. Lastly, happiness is about you and your attitude. You can always change jobs if you fall into something you don't like, just be careful not to pigeon hole yourself into a very specific job field w/your education. Also remember that you will get a lot of advice from people who aren't successful so take everyone's advice, including mine, with a grain of salt. Don't be afraid to want more and take chances as long as they're educated decisions.

Edited by BlountArrow (07/02/13 07:10 AM)

#3280990 - 07/02/13 08:13 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
tndad
8 Point

Loc: nashville

Originally Posted By: BuckHunter511
The medical field doesn't interest me one bit. My dad is an eye doctor and I just have no interest in it.

good choice . you get in med field and then where do you go when it gets old- and it will- believe me- sonographer 25 yrs

#3280999 - 07/02/13 08:32 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: tndad]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

content Online
I work in fisheries. Never intended to when I started utility for W&F but that's where my heart lies now. I was sure I wanted to work with game animals and do wildlife management.
My best advice to you if you wish to pursue the wildlife and fisheries is be willing to relocate (you can ways move back home and its a lot easier to find a job if you already have one). Volunteer every single chance you get. Focus on getting internships as soon as you start school. Get your masters. Have fun and get good grades.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#3281015 - 07/02/13 08:46 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: rukiddin?]
old guy
6 Point

Loc: Millington , Tn. -- Shelby c...

If you have to work for tuition consider joining the service. Not only do they have fields of mos ( military occupational standards ) in wildlife related areas, you can sign up for , after your stint is up they will pay for your college education. A win win situation. Try to stay out of ground combat if you can. Its hard to carry your books around in those packs. Been there , done that.
Old Guy -- Retired Federal Firefighter -- Vietnam Vet 68-69-70

Edited by old guy (07/02/13 08:47 PM)

#3281063 - 07/02/13 09:37 PM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Buzzard Breath]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

How open is the job market for a degree in that? What types of jobs could I obtain? Feel free to PM me!
 Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
My wife has a degree from UT in animal science. She has an upper level position with the local farmers Coop. The pay is good, vacation is good, as is the benefits. She gets to work with the local farmers recommending product and solving problems. What I like best is that she gets her farm and we don't actually have to do any work.

At the same time, if I was you, I'd get a hold of Diehard. He's passionate about what he does and wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction.

Good luck with your decisions.

#3281186 - 07/03/13 03:56 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BuckHunter511]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Just went through this having graduated recently. Personally I would steer clear of wildlife/fisheries. I know way to many unemployed or underemployed people working for pennies in that field. I started in wildlife and thats why I switched. I switched to agriculture. Its definitely not doing very great either, especially around here, but I was able to get a pretty good job right out of college. A field Im close to now with my work that seems to do very well is geotechnical engineering and people with geology as well as engineering degrees.

#3281199 - 07/03/13 05:28 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: smstone22]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

ANY government wildlife job, whether state and ESPECIALLY federal desperately needs more hunting/fishing mentality people. US Fish and Wildlife has been infiltrated by anti-hunting/I love animals types that are ruining that service.

#3281203 - 07/03/13 05:31 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: smstone22]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Originally Posted By: smstone22
Just went through this having graduated recently. Personally I would steer clear of wildlife/fisheries. I know way to many unemployed or underemployed people working for PENNIES in that field.

BuckHunter511 I hope you read the statement above and took it to heart. I don't mean to come off as negative or disrespectful to folks in this field. Similarly, I have a cousin who majored in wildlife and fisheries got her degree, couldn't find a job paying anymore than squat, so she had to go back to school and chose to get a degree in nursing where she could actually make some $$.

I'll get on my soapbox here because I think colleges grossly unprepare people for the job field and how to be successful. I think people put way too much emphasis on passion, happiness, and tunnel vision themselves into a career that has little to no opportunities to excel. To me, passion, happiness, all that touchy feely stuff is internal, you've either got it or you don't. I've worked a sh!tty job or two in my life and I can honestly say I was not terribly unhappy and I was still passionate about doing a good job even when the conditions were horrible and my boss was a "richard cranium". Again, those are personal values that are either inside you or not.

There are just a lot of opportunities out there that require thinking outside of the box. Just because you love the outdoors DOES NOT mean that needs to be your daily job. Just because you are incredibly passionate about wildlife, nature, etc DOES NOT mean that should be your daily job. Example: I am extremely passionate about managing property for deer and turkey (we have a small farm and a lease). I think I enjoy doing that more than I do hunting sometimes to be honest. If I could do that everyday and make a career out of it would I? Probably not. I enjoy working a job that affords me the time and resources to do the things I'm truly passionate about after the work day is done or on the weekends IF/AS I SO CHOOSE. This doesn't mean at work I'm a lazy employee, an un-fit employee, or that I dislike my job. I love my job as a matter of fact, but am I necessarily PASSIONATE about my job...eh, yeah kind of. I'm more passionate about being the best I can be and doing the best job I can do everyday and have been blessed in a way that those efforts have been rewarded.

#3281219 - 07/03/13 05:52 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: BlountArrow]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

I tend to agree with BlountArrow. I see a lot of posts about being happy with what you do. Let me tell you, go where there's money. If you make enough money you can still be passionate about the outdoors.

I work in the wildlife field, in a round-about way. I love what I do and make decent money but I have two brothers that went in totally different directions and one is and the other is really close to being millionaires.

#3281320 - 07/03/13 08:26 AM Re: What should I do as a career? I need your help!!!! [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
swoodar4
Button

Loc: east TN

I have a WFS degree from UT and have worked a few different positions in multiple states for the past 6 years. The pros are you have the opportunity to work in some really cool areas and if your willing to relocate jobs are available. I started working in wildland recreation because that was the opportunity that came up but transitioned to natural resource management. While your not going to get rich you can get a descent paying position with good benefits. The biggest con I have found to this career field is that it can be hard to find a job in a specific location.
Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
86 registered (moondawg, AndyW, TN Whitetail Freak, caretaker, TNtrapper, Beekeeper, 11 invisible) and 165 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85111 Topics
1028531 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.237 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.