Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3277492 - 06/28/13 03:31 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: Leaping Deere]
arctic_cat
8 Point

Loc: Lenoir City,Tn

We use these containers at work. We store our drums in them. They keep rain and all out but they will sweat and build some moisture on the right days. Not sure how they would be underground. If your going to do it you mine as well do it right with something that is made for what you plan to use it for. JMO

WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE, YOU GAIN AN ANGEL YOU KNOW

MEMORIES, IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT CAN NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

#3277499 - 06/28/13 04:08 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: arctic_cat]
CountryBoy053
8 Point

Loc: Blount Co., TN

Do some searching and try to get in contact with a " doomsday prepper" and how they were able to put shipping containers underground and how they are hilding up?

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice

#3277537 - 06/28/13 06:37 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: Leaping Deere]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

content Online
I have one buried for my Duck/Goose pit
works well, as far as dirt on top on them
they are stacked 4-5 high fully loaded
on ships.

But that being said what about a small basement
it doesn't have to be the whole house, I did that
last year

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3277664 - 06/28/13 10:37 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: Leaping Deere]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Leaping Deere
I'm planning to install an underground safe room in my new house that will be under construction within the next two weeks. At first we planned to build a 10x10 concrete room but this would be pretty expensive. I have recently been considering buying and burying a 10x20 shipping container. Either will be accessible by a small staircase inside the house so we don't have to go outside to get in the shelter during a storm. Have any of you ever installed either and what would you do different looking back. Pros and cons?

Connexes are awesome.

Cons: The ones on the market might not be "waterproof", as they like to keep the good ones in service.

I've got a buddy that's planning to build an entire house out of shipping containers.

Have you started shopping yet? There's an outfit near Presidents Island that sells them, and they'll generally outfit them for you, within reason. You'll definitely want a roof vent or two.

#3277673 - 06/28/13 10:48 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: Leaping Deere]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

SWEET! I want one but have no room to put one!

#3278879 - 06/30/13 08:03 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
Leaping Deere
Spike

Loc: West TN

I've got a guy that's moving and can't take his container with him so he is ready to let it go pretty cheap. I've also got access to track hoes and mini excavators that I can use to bury it or dig it up if I need to. Because everything else when building a house is so expensive I am trying to cut costs anywhere I can, but I don't want to create any extra headaches.
#3278916 - 06/30/13 09:14 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: Leaping Deere]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: Leaping Deere
I've got a guy that's moving and can't take his container with him so he is ready to let it go pretty cheap. I've also got access to track hoes and mini excavators that I can use to bury it or dig it up if I need to. Because everything else when building a house is so expensive I am trying to cut costs anywhere I can, but I don't want to create any extra headaches.

I understand that but you better check with your local building codes and you better tell them up front it's a shipping container. If they prohibit that then you will have nothing but headaches that will cost you a lot of money to remove and re-build.

Ever if you live out in the country like I do there are still building codes.

#3278927 - 06/30/13 09:25 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: Wildcat]
greygoose
4 Point

Loc: shelby county

I USED TO WORK ON INTERMODALS AT MY OLD JOB.THERE ARE MANY VARIETIES FROM TOP LOADERS,END LOADERS,20,40 FOOTERS,ETC..I HAVE SEEN THEM ON DOOMS DAY PREPPERS BEING BURIED WITH A CONCRETE BARRIER POURED AROUND.YOU CAN PICK THEM UP USED ,DEPENDING ON CONDITION FOR AROUND $1,500.00(20 FOOTER)THAT WAS THE GOING RATE A COUPLE YEARS AGO

#3278930 - 06/30/13 09:28 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: landman]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: landman
as far as dirt on top on them they are stacked 4-5 high fully loaded on ships.

I'm not an engineer by trade, but I believe the only points the containers actually touch are at certain points that are reinforced to allow for stacking.

That being said, unless they were buried quite deep I'd think the container would be able to hold up earth piled on top of it. I'd make sure nothing heavy (car, truck, tractor, etc) was ever parked on top of that area of my yard, though.

#3278989 - 06/30/13 11:25 AM Re: Shipping container safe room [Re: BMan]
greygoose
4 Point

Loc: shelby county

VERY TRUE,THERE ARE LOCK DOWNS ON ALL FOUR CORNERS THAT ALSO ACT AS BALANCE POINTS WHEN STACKING.IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE METAL IS ONLY 1/4 MAYBE.I WOULD CUT THE REALLY DAMAGED ONES DOWN IN ABOUT A HOUR WITH A ACETYLENE TORCH.WOULD NOT SEEM ABLE TO SUPPORT A HEAVY LOAD OF DIRT WITHOUT SOME SORT OF EXTRA SUPPORT ON SIDES AND TOP.THESE THINGS ARE MADE FOR THE MAIN WEIGHT TO BE HELD BY THE FLOOR NOT SIDES OR TOP.MIGHT TURN OUT TO BE A BAD OR EXPENSIVE IDEA.I WOULD CHECK OTHER OPTIONS.LIKE I SAID EARLIER I SAW ONE ON A SHOW BUT I BELIEVE THEY PUT IN ON TOP OF A CONCRETE SLAB AND WALLS,I CAN NOT REMEMBER HOW THEY DID THE TOP BUT YOUR LOOKING AT SPENDING SOME BANK$$$$$$$$$$

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (Beekeeper, nightrocket, backwoods7, ADR, TN Larry, landman, 1 invisible) and 85 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85286 Topics
1030799 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.265 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.