Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3279866 - 07/01/13 03:10 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: catman529]
benellivol
4 Point

Loc: TN

I double lunged a buck that never bled a drop. I saw and heard him fall about 20 yards from where I shot him.

No blood on the ground or in the truck, but when I hung him up by the hind legs, it looked like a water faucet of blood coming out of his nose and mouth.

While I was quartering him up (I start at the back and work my way around to the guts seeing as how it takes about 10 minutes to recover the animal before butchering) the lungs filled up like balloons with blood. It was strange.

#3280135 - 07/01/13 08:37 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: benellivol]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Winchester,
Interesting how you used your dad to help recover your deer. We too, have had to use similar tactics to make certain terminal deer did not get "lost" after having been gut shot.

I will post more as the days go on closer to season opener.
There is much to be discussed and it is my hope that others, like have been so far, chime in to relate their experiences.

Here is a quick bit of info. If you are not doing post shot autopsies as Winchester described, you are missing out on GREAT info. Be involved with every blood trail you can. And then help with every autopsy you can. It is amazing to find out why and how that wound killed that deer.

It is my unpopular opinion that the fastest killing shot in a deer is the kidney shot. I have never shot a deer here on purpose and would never attempt to make this shot. But I have, during autopsy, discovered why that deer crashed and died so quickly. It was because I sliced the kidneys in half.

However, the kidneys are VERY small, about the size of 2 golf balls, and are very difficult to judge location at varying angles.

Another low percentage, yet VERY deadly shot is the femural artery shot. The aorta runs just under the spine and branches into two large arteries just in front of the hips. Here, these branches form two arteries called the femural arteries which run along the inside of the rear legs (femur bones). IMO, this is a lucky shot, like the spine shot or kidney shot or pyloric artery shot. ANd should never be attempted on purpose.
Often deer will not get out of sight with this shot.

Here is another observation we have concluded after hundreds of kills. It has become obvious that if a deer is "spooked" upon receiving a wound, it tends to run faster, farther, and harder than if it were shot while relaxed.

Examples of "spooking" a deer include but are not limited to:
deer watching you shoot it
deer hearing a loud bow or human sound upon release
deer being hit in the hard bone (often a "whack" sound associated with the arrow hitting the bone)
deer hearing a broadhead blade open loudly upon entry
arrow passing through and making a loud noise when arrow stops
arrow sticking out of deer and striking limbs etc as it runs off
other deer being around the shot deer and causing a "stampede" affect whereby deer keep running from fear

Remember, let this happen on a gut shot and you are in for a long, tough, trail.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3280496 - 07/02/13 09:54 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: 102]
Winchester
Non-Typical

As always 102's info is on the money imo. A badly spooked deer will travel much greater distance in a much faster fashion most times after being shot. Totally relaxed deer seem to travel much less distance. Ive killed a few with complete pass thrus, that didn't even hit a rib, that never knew they were shot, and actually just fell over while still somewhat feeding!
I also agree the Femural artery is about as fast a death as they come from an arrow. I had one broadside at 15 yards once and my arrow struck an unseen tiny branch and hit him square in the ham angling down. I about threw up when the arrow hit, he didn't go 40 yards and was stone dead when he hit the ground. This was many yrs ago and I was bewildered, and upon getting down there was a blood trail literally 2 feet wide for the 40 yards he went, totally bleeding out from a clean cut of the Femural artery.
Spooked and even tense deer are much more likely to cause a bad shot as well when archery hunting, as they have a much higher tendency to 'jump the string' which is just a reaction to the noise of the shot, causing bad hits many times! I will make every effort to let a calm deer stop on his own for a shot vs trying to 'stop' him where I want to shoot him.
Learning when to draw and shoot is a huge link to consistent success with archery shots imo!

#3280613 - 07/02/13 12:11 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: 102]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I've had a spine shot and it dropped him he didn't take 1 step, so we got out out of the stand, went to the truck, and gave him time to die because he was still struggling when we had walked away. When we got back about an I went to grab him, he was still alive but could only move from his front legs up. Needless to say he wasn't too happy and I ended up having to struggle like hell with him and cut his throat. I assume it barely got his spine. I hate that it happened, I don't like anything that isn't a clean kill. But the moral of the story is that it tought me first hand when I was a teen how careful you have to be with shot placement, and even when things go very well, they still might end up ugly.

#3280618 - 07/02/13 12:16 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: Winchester]
10 Point

Winchester wrote
"I will make every effort to let a calm deer stop on his own for a shot vs trying to 'stop' him where I want to shoot him.
Learning when to draw and shoot is a huge link to consistent success with archery shots imo!"

Point well made. The way I have seen many hunters stop the deer for that shot is one of those human sounds I was referring too. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stop a deer by a bleat that ended up being too loud, or hoarse, or just odd that ended up spooking the deer after the shot.

#3281188 - 07/03/13 04:23 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: 102]
10 Point

THE HEART SHOT DEER.

I do not understand why, but heart shot deer commonly take of like a bat out of hades.
And talk about a "stand up blood trail". I have color blind friends who can follow these. Not that much tracking is usually necessary. We almost always see, or hear, the deer fall.

When shooting a deer through the heart from an elevated position, it is not uncommon to also affect one or both lungs as well.

#3281483 - 07/03/13 11:46 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: 102]
Winchester
Non-Typical

The heart is pretty low and I agree, unless your shot is very low and or your stand isn't very high, you will hit other vitals with most heart shots. Heart shot deer will actually live a lil longer and travel a lil farther than most double lung hits IMO. Which both are very short trails and easy tracking as 102 said. I LOVE to bloodtrail deer and have learned a great deal about deer just from going on every tracking job I could since I was 12! Which is now in the hundreds of bloodtrails.
#3281486 - 07/03/13 11:50 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: Winchester]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Heart shot deer... I had 2 perfect heart shots last year. One was a big doe at 5 yards from the tree. Hit one lung and straight through the middle of the heart. She went 50-60 yards.

The other was a doe fawn (late season) 10 yards from the tree. only hit the heart, I saw the blood coming out when it turned and ran, watched it run about 40 yards before stumbling and tipping over.

Edited by catman529 (07/03/13 11:51 AM)

#3282001 - 07/03/13 11:26 PM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: catman529]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

I almost wanna say that I'm more excited while blood trailing a deer than I am from the shot. I guess it's just the anticipation and wondering if ill find it or if the blood will just run dry.

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3282248 - 07/04/13 11:06 AM Re: Blood Trailing deer. [Re: DirtyBear0311]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
I almost wanna say that I'm more excited while blood trailing a deer than I am from the shot. I guess it's just the anticipation and wondering if ill find it or if the blood will just run dry.
I love blood trailing too. I almost prefer it if I don't see the deer drop, just so I can continue "the hunt" and track down the animal. But I guess it's cool watching them drop in sight too.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (mjac, jmlost, 7mmMag, robinhedd, TeamMainStreet, bigbuck2012) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.