Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3277822 - 06/28/13 02:15 PM Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I've been trying to chip away at more locations of Top's BBQ. There are 14 in all, the Summer Ave location makes for my 6th location.

One thing that I have noticed about Top's is that there appears to be no men working at any of the locations. I'm not sure if they are on a Parole deal, but many of the female employees at all of the locations appear to have a certain inmate look about them. That may or may not be a accurate observation, but the abundance of prison tattoos amongst the staff strongly implies that. That being said, I have had excellent service at every location and the employees appear to always be working very hard.

So, anyway, I got a half slab of ribs ($8.95) and decided to upgrade to a plate (beans and slaw) so my total was $14 and change with a drink. One thing you will notice about each location of Top's is that, while each restaurant is consistent unto itself, and all of them are pretty good, there is as much difference between the individual locations as there are between certain other BBQ joints in Memphis. I'm not sure how much freedom they give the individual restaurants, but there is a noticeable difference.

While Top's is not the best barbecue in Memphis, it is certainly respectable and one of the more economical and all locations stay extremely busy with business that is basically 100% local. If you've never been, there is a location in the parking lot of Bass Pro. If you go during lunch, the line will often be out there door.

This is just good, straight ahead, Memphis barbecue. Nothing fancy, nothing that is going to change your life, but it is as cheap as eating anywhere else (pork sandwich plates are less than $6). Their cheeseburgers are very good and you can order pork skins off the menu for 99 cents. They also have a off menu burger that has a serving of pulled pork. And, if you visit Aldo's Pizza downtown, he serves up a "Memphis pizza" that has a pile of Top's BBQ and coleslaw on it.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3277888 - 06/28/13 03:23 PM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I've been instructed never to get their ribs from the Frayser Hwy. 51 location.

That being said, I'm currently digesting a cheeseburger with 2oz of meat now \:D

And in keeping with your theme of ordering brisket outside of TX....

NEVER, and I mean NEVER never never never order Tops' brisket. It's just turribul. It's sliced with the grain, and they microwave it to reheat it.

#3277916 - 06/28/13 03:54 PM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: TAFKAP]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

I like the Tops in Millington. It's decent bbq and it's inexpensive.

#3277923 - 06/28/13 04:05 PM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: moondawg]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: moondawg

I've gotten pulled pork there a couple of times and it was good. I took WMAn there once after a cold morning hunting at SF.

There is a employee at the Olive Brance location who has "Poke-n-Beans" tattooed on her neck

#3278135 - 06/28/13 09:15 PM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: Poser

I've gotten pulled pork there a couple of times and it was good. I took WMAn there once after a cold morning hunting at SF.

There is a employee at the Olive Brance location who has "Poke-n-Beans" tattooed on her neck

bet she is a looker

#3278363 - 06/29/13 09:42 AM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: redblood]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Poser's right...there are some rough looking people that work at the Tops places. They aren't the cute waitresses/hostesses you'd see at a place like Chili's. \:D But they've always been cool with me.

#3278437 - 06/29/13 12:22 PM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: moondawg]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

I think another requirement for topps employees is not having all your teeth
#3278674 - 06/29/13 07:18 PM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: redblood]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: redblood

bet she is a looker

I think Tops employees get bonuses based on the number of neck tattoos. However, there's a chick with half an arm (apparent birth defect, rather than a hard prison injury) that's really turned the Frayser 51 location around. Muffin tops are also a plus.

#3278730 - 06/29/13 08:18 PM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: redblood

So, can we conclude that Tops runs a prole program for employees? And has anyone ever seen a make employee at any location?

bet she is a looker

I think Tops employees get bonuses based on the number of neck tattoos. However, there's a chick with half an arm (apparent birth defect, rather than a hard prison injury) that's really turned the Frayser 51 location around. Muffin tops are also a plus.

#3279599 - 07/01/13 09:53 AM Re: Tops BBQ, Summer Ave location [Re: Poser]
beechnut
12 Point

Loc: DRUMMONDS TN 38023

Wished I would have read this yesterday before I wasted 15.99 on a slab from Tops. They were the worst I have ever had. They had NO flavor whatsoever. They had to have been cooked in a oven. I didn't expect a whole lot of them to begin with........but expected better that what they were.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
106 registered (Bucket, DixieCrafter, Deer Assassin, utfan1, TN Larry, WORM82, 8 invisible) and 132 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93098 Topics
1087994 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.162 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.