Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3278221 - 06/28/13 11:50 PM What is a Foodie?
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i have a reason for asking. Definitions i looked up are all over the place.

#3278245 - 06/29/13 05:14 AM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: redblood]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

Somebody who enjoys trying new & different foods on more than a occasional happening,will go out of their way to eat at some place they have heard about,they plan trips around food instead of activity's ,

#3278398 - 06/29/13 11:20 AM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: mike243]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I don't know if there is an official definition. On one hand, a "foodie" could be a person who reviews restaurants for potential Michelin stars. Or it could be a person who eats lunch at food trucks every day. Or it could be a fishermen who pulls fish straight out of the lake and into the fryer, or a guy with a serious investment into a smoker. For lack of a better definition, it would be anyone who is serious in some way about food, goes out of their way (following food truck locations on FB, fishing for trout to smoke them, taking a headshot on a deer to drain the blood for blood sausage, smoking/curing your own meat, possibly even growing a garden or having backyard chickens) to get it, works hard for the procurement even though it could be purchased/obtained for cheaper or less effort, or takes pride in making something that is unique.

Most or none of those definition is anything new. I think that the reason that a word like "foodie" is common all of a sudden is because there has been a strong return to interest in food in the last 10-15 years. Sometime in the 1950s, we, as a culture started becoming disconnected from food. Microwaves replaced stoves and ovens, frozen food replaced fresh food, butcher shops all but disappeared, meat became more of a large scale, industrial process, farms became conglomerated, GMOs replaced Heirlooms, many heritage bred farm animals are considered obsolete, and food became increasingly processed, packaged, pumped full of hormones and optimized for consumer spending.

The backlash to that is that people are now increasingly interested in where their food comes from, putting their hands on it, spending money more directly with farmers, especially small farmers, bypassing processed food, raising heritage bred backyard chickens, free range animals, traditional means of curing meat, artisan butcher shops, preference for gas range stoves, as well as hunting and fishing.

So, to me at least (though I have never actually thought that much about it until I started writing this post), I'd think that a "foodie" could be any person that is not a "Grocery Store Zombie." "Grocery Store Zombie" being defined as a person who mindlessly buys food without any thought or understanding of where that food comes from, how it came to be, its contents, larger economical impact etc.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3278566 - 06/29/13 04:43 PM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

one of my businesses biggest customers is coming in, along with his wife next weekend. he mentioned casually that she is a "foodie" and was hoping we could go someone unique/eclectic for dinner. so where is a place that a "foodie" would like to grub.

#3278609 - 06/29/13 06:05 PM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood
one of my businesses biggest customers is coming in, along with his wife next weekend. he mentioned casually that she is a "foodie" and was hoping we could go someone unique/eclectic for dinner. so where is a place that a "foodie" would like to grub.

Ok, that's pretty easy. First thing that comes to mind to me is Prince's Hot Chicken in Nashville.

Arnold's Country Kitchen would be another good choice (turnip Greens and chicken livers are both highly encouraged)

Pharmacy Burger Parlor and Beer Garden would work. They use all local beef. and Marche' would be a good choice, too, if you want something a little more formal.

-just depends on how "rustic" you want to go.

#3278667 - 06/29/13 07:10 PM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: redblood]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

i have a reason for asking. Definitions i looked up are all over the place.

To me, a "foodie" is the individual embodiment of many different combinations of the following factors:

A stuck up snob that claims moral superiority as a result of his highly developed palate.

A person that appreciates more about food than "how it tastes"

A person that isn't content with "food" or food "ingredients" that are sold as "food" anymore.

A person that would rather eat dog food than dine at Chili's

A person that enjoys cooking FOOD, rather than dumping a can of ingredients into a Crock Pot.

A person that studies the science of cooking technique, and tries to improve his eating habits by utilizing smarter cooking methods.

A person that enjoys discussing and learning about different cooking techniques with others.

A person that isn't afraid to step outside their comfort zone, and eat food that might otherwise be considered gross....whether it's gross looking, gross sounding, or just outside their comfort limit.

#3278672 - 06/29/13 07:16 PM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Just to answer your question, Redblood, your "foodie" customer might:

Appreciate an overly ridiculous and expensive dinner because of a liberal use of the words "organic", "local", or "heirloom"

They might really love ethnic food and prefer an Ethiopian joint, rather than a prime steakhouse.

They might enjoy a prime steakhouse across town, rather than the Outback down the road.

They might enjoy a dive joint for a greasy burger or fried chicken, rather than the celebrated chef written up in the papers.

You might be better off asking the dude to clarify. IF he's anything like me, he's already looked up every restaurant in town and has made a list of places he would love to go. Flat out just ask if he has any preferences while he's in town visiting.....

#3278784 - 06/29/13 10:03 PM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: TAFKAP]
redblood
16 Point

Thanks for the responses. i have only heard the term foodie a couple times and was amazed at the myriad of online definitions corresponding to that term. I thought about Princes. The Bell Buckle Cafe has been on many of the "Southern Charm" type of shows, might take them there.

#3278791 - 06/29/13 10:22 PM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Thanks for the responses. i have only heard the term foodie a couple times and was amazed at the myriad of online definitions corresponding to that term. I thought about Princes. The Bell Buckle Cafe has been on many of the "Southern Charm" type of shows, might take them there.

That would be a good one to do. I used to eat there some when I lived in M-boro and I remember it being pretty good. There is a meat and 3 place you pass on the way to Bell Buckle -cant think of the name right now, but I think it had better food, just not the setting of Bell Buckle. Anyone know the place I'm talking about? It's a white building.

#3278804 - 06/29/13 10:46 PM Re: What is a Foodie? [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

maybe Millers in Christiana

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (FISH, Country1, donkey5150, EastTNHunter, TN Larry, TRIGGER, 12 invisible) and 119 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93226 Topics
1088623 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.156 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.