Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3271570 - 06/19/13 10:51 PM TSI based Select Cut Logging begins
TNlandowner
6 Point

Loc: Carroll County

Our logger is coming in the morning. We expect his equipment to arrive and begin logging by next week! This is a huge blessing as we will have time to hang new stands and plant fall food plots in their loading areas.

We are fired up to see our project get started... No more large, open hardwood stands in the winter. We should have some better deer cover soon.

We protected our oaks, which should really improve due to less competition from the numerous gums, maples, beech, and elm trees.

I'll try to create a photo log of the progress. As always, I welcome suggestions / tips along the way!

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

#3271573 - 06/19/13 11:19 PM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
Paul Burns
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Westport--- Carroll County Tn

Sounds like a great plan coming together.
They moved in on our farm last week but they are select cutting, it's for the money not habitat improvement. Still lots of nuts and browse will be there.

#3271675 - 06/20/13 07:40 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: Paul Burns]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Here's an aerial photo with our general plan, which includes a 5-acre reforestation area started in 2008 (Sawtooth, Nutall, & Persimmons), TSI cut on 70+ acres, 2 new bedding areas to be cleared and replanted with 2d Generation loblolly pines, enlarging a food plot from .5 into 1.5 acres, and building a 2-acre pond.

#3271791 - 06/20/13 09:50 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Exciting stuff for sure! It'll be nice to watch it transform over the coming months/years.
#3275669 - 06/25/13 07:37 PM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: Boll Weevil]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I like the way you are making the cleared areas all hidden from the outside. A great way to discourage roadhunting poachers. Looks good all the way around. How big is that property? 100 acres?
#3275986 - 06/26/13 09:27 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: Hunter 257W]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Pretty close, 128 acres. Although you can't see it from the road, my house is only 300 yards from the road. I always worry about a stray bullet coming up the hill. Just to ease my worries, I would like an absolute thicket near the road.

My project is only a portion of the plan: Our neighbors to the east and north have agreed to shoot only 2.5 yr old bucks. I am still working on the landowner that owns the row crop areas to the south and west. If everyone comes together, we'll have over 1000 acres working together. One guy owns 1500 acres about 1 mile north of us. His buck harvest standards are 5 yrs old. He has some great bucks walking around....

If this plan comes together, my family and friends will have a great hunting area.

#3276007 - 06/26/13 09:54 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Make you some room for some more trees. I have found a couple of new ones that produce at a young age. One at a very young age. I'll try to save you some seed. Where on the map are the Chestnuts going?

#3276013 - 06/26/13 10:09 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: TNlandowner]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

If you get time, it'd be great to see how that cut is coming along if you have any pictures to share. Do you plan on pushing the stumps out, grinding, or just letting them decompose over time? Will you plany anything in there or allow it to regenerate naturally?

We're 10-15 acres into a 65ac crop tree release and the impact of sunlight hitting the ground is almost immediate in terms of natural forage. Nearly overnight.

#3276741 - 06/27/13 08:11 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Originally Posted By: 8 POINTS OR BETTER
Make you some room for some more trees. I have found a couple of new ones that produce at a young age. One at a very young age. I'll try to save you some seed. Where on the map are the Chestnuts going?

That sounds great.... I've had a great time growing these Dunstan's from seed. I have some at 5' and branching out at the top! I have around 30 trees alive, which isn't bad as I only lost three that sprouted. One of these developed a great root system, just never sent up vertical growth. It is still in the rootmaker 3 gal pot. The other two suffered died when I went out of town for work. My wife didn't give them enough "daily" love. LOL.

I'm planting 10 in the southern opening near the power line, 20 in the field north of the heavy clearing area with red banded (oaks) trees. I could use a few more for sure. I would actually rather plant the chestnuts instead of the pines down near the road. I could do a smaller strip of pines for edge screening, then plan the chestnuts. This area has great, well-drained soil, but doesn't dry out during droughts.

#3276747 - 06/27/13 08:17 AM Re: TSI based Select Cut Logging begins [Re: Boll Weevil]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
If you get time, it'd be great to see how that cut is coming along if you have any pictures to share.

Absolutely, I sure will. the logger hasn't done any cutting this week. He walked the place again ensuring he understands our wishes. So far, I am impressed with this logging crew.

Could you share photo's of your efforts? I am planning to remove most of the stumps and replant near the road clearing. I was planning to let the area to the right(or north) of my house, regenerate naturally. We are leaving a lot of mature oaks and a few large pines in this area for seed. Of course, other hardwood trees will resprout from the stumps. This area has poor soils, so I don't plan to replant with better trees like the Chestnuts ;o)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (OldFart, HuntNShoot, Hickman Hunter, striperhunter90, MBG, moondawg, 14 invisible) and 166 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93184 Topics
1088373 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.