Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3276006 - 06/26/13 09:54 AM Surprise, Surprise........
Grizzly Johnson
Turkey Forum Police
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

New Black Panther who sparked voter intimidation probe in 2008 arrested on gun charges:

A member of the New Black Panther Party who sparked a federal probe for voter intimidation in 2008 has been arrested on gun charges in New York.

King Samir Shabazz, a 41-year-old Philadelphia street preacher and national field marshal for the New Black Panther Party, was arrested late Thursday in Harlem after NYPD officers spotted him with wearing a bulletproof vest and a loaded, unlicensed handgun.

Shabazz was arrested without incident at about 10:30 p.m. on June 20 after officers stopped him to talk about the vest under his clothing, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne told FoxNews.com.

"When they stopped to talk to him about it and patted him down for their own safety, they discovered that he was armed with a loaded, illegal five-shot revolver," Browne wrote in an email.

Shabazz, whose real name is Maruse Heath, is best known for bringing a club to a North Philadelphia polling station on Election Day in 2008, leading to a federal probe on voter intimidation.

Shabazz was jailed on $75,000 bail on charges of illegal gun possession and illegal wearing of body armor. He faces a mandatory minimum of 3 ˝ years and a maximum of 15 years in jail if convicted, the Philadelphia Daily News reports.

Shabazz, whose attorney could not be reached for comment, was in New York to help plan a September march commemorating the 15th anniversary of the Million Youth March. He is scheduled to appear in a Manhattan courtroom on Wednesday.

Black Panther leaders have dubbed Shabazz — who has previously called for the extermination of white people — a "political prisoner" and plan a rally and fundraiser in his honor on Monday night at a Harlem restaurant, the newspaper reports.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/26/new...008-reportedly/

#3276061 - 06/26/13 11:03 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Our justice dept will probably decide to be a strong defender of the 4th Amendment in this case.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3276063 - 06/26/13 11:09 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: de novo]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

"....and illegal wearing of body armor"

????????????????????

- Keep it real

#3276066 - 06/26/13 11:11 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: Crappie Luck]
Grizzly Johnson
Turkey Forum Police
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Crappie Luck

????????????????????

I was wondering about that too.... wonder if it's a New York thing?

#3276070 - 06/26/13 11:16 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

If that is not a violation of self-defense rights, I don't know what is.

- Keep it real

#3276152 - 06/26/13 01:01 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: Crappie Luck]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

He's got a cabinet position waiting....

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3276192 - 06/26/13 02:06 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
 Originally Posted By: Crappie Luck

????????????????????

I was wondering about that too.... wonder if it's a New York thing?

Just something I found on the net. I have neither the time nor inclination to research it further right now.

S270.20 Unlawful wearing of a body vest.
1. A person is guilty of the unlawful wearing of a body vest when
acting either alone or with one or more other persons he commits any
violent felony offense defined in section 70.02 while possessing a
firearm, rifle or shotgun and in the course of and in furtherance of
such crime he wears a body vest.
2. For the purposes of this section a "body vest" means a
bullet-resistant soft body armor providing, as a minimum standard, the
level of protection known as threat level I which shall mean at least
seven layers of bullet-resistant material providing protection from
three shots of one hundred fifty-eight grain lead ammunition fired from
a .38 caliber handgun at a velocity of eight hundred fifty feet per
second.

#3276218 - 06/26/13 03:20 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: Bambi Buster]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

Just based on the original article Grizzly posted and what Bambi Buster posted, it would seem like the dude shouldn't have been stopped by the police. If the police stopped and searched him because he was wearing a bulletproof vest and he wasn't in the commission of a crime, he wasn't doing anything wrong according to that statute. They didn't see or find the illegal gun on him until they patted him down.

I think he is a scumbag and at the least a bully, and probably has plenty of crimes in his background, but he may have a pretty good case to get these charges dropped if he was searched just because he was wearing a BP vest.

#3276261 - 06/26/13 04:27 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: woodchuckc]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
Just based on the original article Grizzly posted and what Bambi Buster posted, it would seem like the dude shouldn't have been stopped by the police. If the police stopped and searched him because he was wearing a bulletproof vest and he wasn't in the commission of a crime, he wasn't doing anything wrong according to that statute. They didn't see or find the illegal gun on him until they patted him down.

I think he is a scumbag and at the least a bully, and probably has plenty of crimes in his background, but he may have a pretty good case to get these charges dropped if he was searched just because he was wearing a BP vest.

I agree with every word you are saying but I would look the other way if they decided to throw him in a hole and cover him with wet cement too. \:\)

#3276328 - 06/26/13 05:57 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: Hunter 257W]
W C
8 Point

Loc: Alabama

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I would look the other way if they decided to throw him in a hole and cover him with wet cement too. \:\)

Or even perfectly dry riprap or concrete or asphalt

#3276439 - 06/26/13 08:04 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise........ [Re: woodchuckc]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc

The original article, as is usually the case, is not well written and provides insufficient information to make a call. However, it is not always necessary for an officer to have probable cause to believe a crime is being committed in order for him to legally stop and frisk and individual. This has been the national legal standard since 1968. I generally don't advocate Wikipedia as an authoritative source, but in this instance, the article at the link below gives a pretty good synopsis of what I'm speaking of here. Totality of circumstances and reasonable suspicion (not the same as probable cause) are the key phrases here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
66 registered (Backstrapcrazy, jaybird62, leader, Sea-ark, JandSCattleCo, pledbetter, 9 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85394 Topics
1031826 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.