Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3275191 - 06/25/13 08:28 AM How many are you going to buy?
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

So how many new trail-cams are you going to buy this year?

For personal use, I think I'm in the market for two new black-flash cams and at least one more black-flash flash extender.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3275205 - 06/25/13 08:56 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

I've bought 3 so far, maybe 1 more

Genesis 27:3

#3275208 - 06/25/13 08:59 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: PinchPoint]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

I bought 2 of the demo Bushnell Trophy Cams from Natchez, but I had one exactly like those "borrowed" this spring. I'm only one up from last year.

#3275214 - 06/25/13 09:05 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: infoman jr.]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

sleepy Online
I've got 6, I would like to have a black flash but it would have to be a great deal

#3275217 - 06/25/13 09:08 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

As bad as I want a few new black flash cams, I know I do not need any more cams than I have now. Last year I found that I could not efficiently run all of my seven cameras and have time to scout and hunt as much as I like, so I'll continue to pass on any new purchases until some of my older cams bite the dust.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3275225 - 06/25/13 09:21 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Non-Typical

Andy,

I too run 7 cameras on my property for 6 months out of the year. Visiting them almost weekly is a chore, but honestly, I think I get more fun out of running the cams and analyzing the pictures than I do the actual hunting!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3275264 - 06/25/13 10:04 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
....but honestly, I think I get more fun out of running the cams and analyzing the pictures than I do the actual hunting!
I'll have to say that some years I do as well. In fact, what I have found is that I typically either excel at one or the other each fall, but never both. In essence, I either hunt hard and have good success while neglecting my cams, or I bust my tail running/checking/repositioning cams while my quest to gather/sort through thousands of pictures takes a toll on my effectiveness of hunting. With that being said, I have learned to enjoy and learn from both scenarios. I must say that running trail cameras has taught me more about deer, in particular mature bucks, than any other hunter, book, magazine or hunting forum.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3275271 - 06/25/13 10:15 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Andy S.]
Akurn
4 Point

Loc: West TN

BSK,
What 6 months do you run your cameras?

#3275281 - 06/25/13 10:21 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Andy S.]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
Last year I found that I could not efficiently run all of my seven cameras and have time to scout and hunt as much as I like . . . .

I have found similarly over the past few years, particularly 2 and 3 years ago when I acquired several new cams that not only didn't work as advertised, but simply didn't work. Very frustrating to repeatedly return cams under warranty, only to get replacements back that are DOA, or only work a few weeks. So a couple years ago I really backed off on trail cam use so I could focus more on traditional scouting methods and actual hunting.

When the cams work like they're supposed to, when they're easy & quick to service in the field, all is well. But I've been extremely disappointed in the reliability of nearly everything I've tried "new" over the past 5 years that was made in China.

Have gained a new appreciation for "just go hunt and enjoy yourself".

To answer the original question, I doubt I purchase any new cams this year, and for certain will not be spending any more money on Chinese junk. Ironically, I still have two very old Leaf River cams that work, a couple homebrews still working, and a few newer blackflash models that work SOME of the time.

Whenever I do purchase any new cams, they will be true black flash models. But right now I have little faith in any particular brand.

#3275341 - 06/25/13 11:36 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Akurn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Akurn
BSK,
What 6 months do you run your cameras?

Because of my reasons for running trail-cams--to inventory and track the number and identity of individual bucks using my property--I only run cams when bucks are identifiable by their unique antler characteristics, which obviously requires fully-formed antlers. Hence I run cameras from August 1st through the end of January.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
116 registered (ChippewaPartners, letsgohunting, rabbit hunter, plinker22, redheadshooter, easy45, 15 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90798 Topics
1060389 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.221 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.