Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3275191 - 06/25/13 08:28 AM How many are you going to buy?
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

So how many new trail-cams are you going to buy this year?

For personal use, I think I'm in the market for two new black-flash cams and at least one more black-flash flash extender.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3275205 - 06/25/13 08:56 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

I've bought 3 so far, maybe 1 more

Genesis 27:3

#3275208 - 06/25/13 08:59 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: PinchPoint]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

I bought 2 of the demo Bushnell Trophy Cams from Natchez, but I had one exactly like those "borrowed" this spring. I'm only one up from last year.

#3275214 - 06/25/13 09:05 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: infoman jr.]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

I've got 6, I would like to have a black flash but it would have to be a great deal

#3275217 - 06/25/13 09:08 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

As bad as I want a few new black flash cams, I know I do not need any more cams than I have now. Last year I found that I could not efficiently run all of my seven cameras and have time to scout and hunt as much as I like, so I'll continue to pass on any new purchases until some of my older cams bite the dust.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3275225 - 06/25/13 09:21 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Non-Typical

Andy,

I too run 7 cameras on my property for 6 months out of the year. Visiting them almost weekly is a chore, but honestly, I think I get more fun out of running the cams and analyzing the pictures than I do the actual hunting!

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3275264 - 06/25/13 10:04 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
....but honestly, I think I get more fun out of running the cams and analyzing the pictures than I do the actual hunting!
I'll have to say that some years I do as well. In fact, what I have found is that I typically either excel at one or the other each fall, but never both. In essence, I either hunt hard and have good success while neglecting my cams, or I bust my tail running/checking/repositioning cams while my quest to gather/sort through thousands of pictures takes a toll on my effectiveness of hunting. With that being said, I have learned to enjoy and learn from both scenarios. I must say that running trail cameras has taught me more about deer, in particular mature bucks, than any other hunter, book, magazine or hunting forum.

#3275271 - 06/25/13 10:15 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Andy S.]
Akurn
4 Point

Loc: West TN

BSK,
What 6 months do you run your cameras?

#3275281 - 06/25/13 10:21 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Andy S.]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
Last year I found that I could not efficiently run all of my seven cameras and have time to scout and hunt as much as I like . . . .

I have found similarly over the past few years, particularly 2 and 3 years ago when I acquired several new cams that not only didn't work as advertised, but simply didn't work. Very frustrating to repeatedly return cams under warranty, only to get replacements back that are DOA, or only work a few weeks. So a couple years ago I really backed off on trail cam use so I could focus more on traditional scouting methods and actual hunting.

When the cams work like they're supposed to, when they're easy & quick to service in the field, all is well. But I've been extremely disappointed in the reliability of nearly everything I've tried "new" over the past 5 years that was made in China.

Have gained a new appreciation for "just go hunt and enjoy yourself".

To answer the original question, I doubt I purchase any new cams this year, and for certain will not be spending any more money on Chinese junk. Ironically, I still have two very old Leaf River cams that work, a couple homebrews still working, and a few newer blackflash models that work SOME of the time.

Whenever I do purchase any new cams, they will be true black flash models. But right now I have little faith in any particular brand.

#3275341 - 06/25/13 11:36 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Akurn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Akurn
BSK,
What 6 months do you run your cameras?

Because of my reasons for running trail-cams--to inventory and track the number and identity of individual bucks using my property--I only run cams when bucks are identifiable by their unique antler characteristics, which obviously requires fully-formed antlers. Hence I run cameras from August 1st through the end of January.

#3275402 - 06/25/13 01:03 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
BuckNrut
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville,TN

Probably none unless Reconyx comes out with their new cams this year.

#3275411 - 06/25/13 01:11 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BuckNrut]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BuckNrut

That's kinda what I've been waiting on. They are long overdue in updating their image quality to something better than 3.1 mp. Just hope they don't start making them in China!

In the interim, I'm just DONE wasting my time and being frustrated with cams that don't work as advertised and/or don't last long and/or get repeatedly replaced under warranty with units no better.

#3275420 - 06/25/13 01:28 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I've got 6 moultrie black flash coming. Found a deal on them through a friend for 129.99 so we got 6. I hope I don't regret it but I'm sure I will... I'll be running about 15 cameras from August through March.

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3275425 - 06/25/13 01:37 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: BuckNrut
That's kinda what I've been waiting on.
x3. I am anxious to hear/read some objective consumer reviews as well as see what they are going to sell for.

#3275446 - 06/25/13 02:07 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I had 4,sold them all,but I think im going to have just 1 trail cam from now on,and just focus on moveing it alot,that way the deer won't pattern me to 1 minderal site.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3275467 - 06/25/13 02:42 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
Visiting them almost weekly is a chore, but honestly, I think I get more fun out of running the cams and analyzing the pictures than I do the actual hunting!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love hunting and seeing a big mature buck can't be beat, but trail cameras provide excitement more often. It starts with opening it up to see how many pictures you got. Then you get to carry them home and click the "next" button lol I almost get the shakes when a big buck pops up!

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3275489 - 06/25/13 03:21 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Master Chief]
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

i'm thinking about buying a few to keep an eye on some of the deer. but i'm not going to go balls out and buy more then i can handle LOL.

#3275580 - 06/25/13 05:25 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
Visiting them almost weekly is a chore, but honestly, I think I get more fun out of running the cams and analyzing the pictures than I do the actual hunting!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love hunting and seeing a big mature buck can't be beat, but trail cameras provide excitement more often. It starts with opening it up to see how many pictures you got. Then you get to carry them home and click the "next" button lol I almost get the shakes when a big buck pops up!

To me, getting that big mature buck on cam is almost as good as killing him. Almost! \:\)

#3275582 - 06/25/13 05:28 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

I just saw an add somewhere displaying the new Reconyx that looks like the Chinese made cams and has an 8 or 10 megapixel imager. But they were still $600. I just can't say the Reconyx quality is worth an extra $400.

#3275584 - 06/25/13 05:33 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
TheAirMan
16 Point

Loc: Moss, Tennessee

None. I have a homebrew build to finish & a whole one to do though.

#3275592 - 06/25/13 05:41 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I just can't say the Reconyx quality is worth an extra $400.

Is the new Reconyx model made in China?

#3275637 - 06/25/13 06:38 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
1shot1kill
4 Point

Loc: unicoi county tn us

I bought 3 Black 60s.
#3275639 - 06/25/13 06:42 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BuckNrut
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville,TN

No. Reconyx is made in USA.

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
I just can't say the Reconyx quality is worth an extra $400.

Is the new Reconyx model made in China?

#3275652 - 06/25/13 07:07 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BuckNrut]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I run 7 cameras. If I could afford more, I'd get as many as I could. The more black flash, the better. I would love very much for a cheaper American Reconyx to come out. The 2 I have have been going for years.

The key to checking cameras is to be smart about it. Minimize activity and utilize the time in these areas in an effective way.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3275898 - 06/26/13 07:14 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
bbuck14
8 Point

Loc: West Tn.

I just got 2 Moultrie M990i's in. That'll make 9 altogether. I'm fortunate that I have a couple of different farms that I can hunt. So what I do is alternate farms each week checking them so I can leave them out 2 weeks at a time. I run mine from Aug 1st til March 1st. I do enjoy checking them just as much as I do hunting, but I also realize that just because I don't get a good buck on camera doesn't mean there's not one there.
#3275952 - 06/26/13 08:42 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: bbuck14]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: bbuck14
I do enjoy checking them just as much as I do hunting, but I also realize that just because I don't get a good buck on camera doesn't mean there's not one there.

With proper technique, you should be able to photograph the vast, vast majority of bucks using a property. Using "Mark-Recapture" statistics, I believe I'm photographing well over 95% of the bucks that use a property during deer season.

#3275968 - 06/26/13 09:03 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

....I think I'm in the market for two new black-flash cams.....
Any particular brand/model you are leaning towards at this point?

#3275978 - 06/26/13 09:16 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
....I think I'm in the market for two new black-flash cams.....
Any particular brand/model you are leaning towards at this point?

I'm going to stick with the Uway VH200B models. Not only did I like what I saw from two of those units last year, but I love the way they are preprogrammed to handle plug-in flash extenders. In the past, the short night-time illumination distances common to black-flash cameras precluded using them over large open areas, such as food plots. But with flash extenders attached, I'm getting exceptional flash range at night (well over 100 feet).

Once the rut approaches, most of my cameras are on scrapes. But I hate that period between the time deer stop using salt-licks intensively and before the bucks start using scrapes (in most of the areas I work, that period is mid-September to mid-October). I find monitoring food plots a perfect way to fill in that gap, and the use of flash extenders makes it possible to get good data from food plots with black-flash cams.

#3276158 - 06/26/13 01:08 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I bought a covert extreme 60 black, this will be my vear away from cuddeback. I've got 5 of them and only return one after it filled with water.. In fact I ran over one with the 4 wheeler last week and it still works fine, It cracked the shell a but I put some silicone over that and it's fine.. If your using your cameras to kill deer and not just to survey them. Only check them when your hunting that area.. Or making a scouting trip to that area. Rather than making a trip just to check 7 cams. Check 1 or two in a given trip , because you were planning to go by there.. Also keeps from adding extra scent from multiple trips... I carry a tablet so I can pull cams near a stand, check it in the stand and determine if I want to leave it or move it. You may also change stands locations once arriving by doing this...
This yr from mid sept through late oct, I'll have mine one trails. I figure if I can get mature buck pics on trails, I have done something...

#3276173 - 06/26/13 01:27 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Once the rut approaches, most of my cameras are on scrapes. But I hate that period between the time deer stop using salt-licks intensively and before the bucks start using scrapes (in most of the areas I work, that period is mid-September to mid-October). I find monitoring food plots a perfect way to fill in that gap, and the use of flash extenders makes it possible to get good data from food plots with black-flash cams.

I hate that time period as well! I have gotten your opinion on this before and I too have found that food plots are the best locations until mid-late October. That time period is so tricky as there is a lot of things changing. It has frustrated me to death before

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3276195 - 06/26/13 02:10 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
That time period is so tricky as there is a lot of things changing. It has frustrated me to death before

You and me both!

#3276447 - 06/26/13 08:10 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Maybe one..........but I have about 6 and may wait....

#3276497 - 06/26/13 08:54 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

2 myself
#3276596 - 06/26/13 11:57 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
might eventually buy a 50 dollar tasco white flash because I don't have a white flash. Other than that, I don't plan on buying any unless it's on clearance or otherwise a killer discount.

#3276609 - 06/27/13 01:25 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: BSK]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i have more than i have time to check now. maybe one more tasco white flash

#3278289 - 06/29/13 07:47 AM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: redblood]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Ill probably build 2 or 3 for a new farm my Dad bought. That will put me at something like 17-18 trail cams.

#3280933 - 07/02/13 07:17 PM Re: How many are you going to buy? [Re: smstone22]
Akurn
4 Point

Loc: West TN

Would like to try a homebrew if I can talk wife into it. She doesn't like that the wild game I bought 2 years ago doesn't work anymore and doesn't want to spend $ on something that's junk in a short time. Can't say I blame her.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
123 registered (sisko, Master Chief, Stevie Ray, darn2ten, postal rage, Beekeeper, 14 invisible) and 162 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96041 Topics
1124549 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.074 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.