Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3273627 - 06/22/13 04:27 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: 102]
greygoose
6 Point

Loc: memphis

i have started and stopped many times over the years.every time i have stopped i kick myself.congrats to anyone more consistent than myself.i plan on being more consistent but knowing myself,i will not

#3273837 - 06/23/13 07:10 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: greygoose]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

We kept one at the hunting cabin where I hunted in Wisconsin. we logged all our hunts. You were expected to put down the following:
Date
Time out
Time in
Weather conditions
Which stand used
How many deer,sex, if bucks how big
What time they came through
If killed and what weapon
Anything special to note, bucks chasing, still in bachlor groups, 1 in velvet, ect

We were running on about 5 years of notes when I moved to TN.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3273867 - 06/23/13 08:49 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: greygoose]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: greygoose
i have started and stopped many times over the years.every time i have stopped i kick myself.congrats to anyone more consistent than myself.i plan on being more consistent but knowing myself,i will not

26 years of consistent data collection

6,343.27 hunting hours
2,602 deer seen, including 644 antlered bucks
157 deer killed, including 72 antlered bucks

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3273899 - 06/23/13 10:07 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: BSK]
monsterbuck07
10 Point

Loc: Alabama

My brother had this made for me a couple years back since I like keeping up with something's. I don't always remember but I just right down a few things here and there. I added one page I wrote on...if its less than 5 mph wind I put it as none. I no that's a sin to some but that's the way I write it. I mainly do it for memory purpose.

Edited by monsterbuck07 (06/23/13 05:06 PM)

#3273943 - 06/23/13 12:30 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: BSK]
greygoose
6 Point

Loc: memphis

very impressive bsk

Edited by greygoose (06/23/13 12:31 PM)

#3274223 - 06/23/13 09:40 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: BSK]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

\:\)

#3274483 - 06/24/13 11:16 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: Boone 58]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Nice BSK, now that is consistency. Hopefully when I get to that number of years I will have some good data too. That is something I would like to pass down to my kids, lol they would be like, dang dad you sure spent alot of time in the woods to only have killed 20 deer. haha

#3274656 - 06/24/13 02:39 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: MattR]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

MattR,

Consistency of data collection is a necessary and wonderful thing over the long term. However, the trick is interpreting the data over the long-term! Over time, many conditions can change, including local regulations, hunter attitudes, habitat, local hunter harvest desires, hunting pressure, and even hunter skill/knowledge. All of these can alter hunting data-driven results. Although "environmental influence" type data (what weather/moon conditions are best/worst for seeing deer) shouldn't be as affected by any of these possible changes over time, results such as "deer/bucks seen per hour" certainly can be. Sometimes it can be very, very difficult to figure out if a certain change (or lack of change) in a particular value over the years is due to an actual change in the local deer herd, or due to a change in hunting technique, style, or intensity.

For example, take a value such as older bucks observed per hunting hour, looked at over numerous years. If the value increases, most would assume that means there are more older bucks around to be observed. Yet the increasing value over time could also be the result of the hunters becoming better hunters--more knowledgeable about hunting older bucks--hence the hunters see more of them per hunting hour with each passing year.

Data collection is easy--just keep the data collection consistent. But data analysis--what it all means--can be really, really tricky...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3275585 - 06/25/13 05:34 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: BSK]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Of course, there are many things that effect your data, some of it you have control over and some of it you don't.
This is the way I look at it, to get better as a hunter you have to examine your self; If you have a lot of your actions documented consistenly then you can look at what you have done and what produced the best results.
If I am not seeing any deer in a spot and I have seen plenty of deer at in the past I like to try to understand why. I find it a lot easier to pin point the reason I'm not seeing any deer if I have solid information to support my theory. Even though there are so many things that have an effect on a hunt trying to figure what went wrong or what went right is very much part of the fun of deer hunting for me.
I guess I'm a nerd when it comes to it or something, or maybe it's because in the military we documented everything. But it still makes sense that it can definately help you be more successful.
I

Edited by MattR (06/25/13 05:48 PM)

#3275667 - 06/25/13 07:31 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: MattR]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: MattR
If I am not seeing any deer in a spot and I have seen plenty of deer at in the past I like to try to understand why.

That's the biggest question everyone should be asking themselves.....Why?

Once I started trying to kill older bucks, I noticed I constantly started asking myself, "why?". "Why" did that deer do that? "Why" did that deer make that loop? "Why" did that deer cross right there? "Why" was he walking just over the crest of that ridge? "Why" was he bedded right there when I jumped him? These are things that eventually led me to start keeping a log. I am much more successful than I was by keeping that log.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
129 registered (Buckbuster03, ImThere, Tims, tn droptine, TNGrizzly, CAW, 18 invisible) and 170 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95918 Topics
1123216 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.