Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3271306 - 06/19/13 03:33 PM So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh?
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
http://soleadventure.com/2013/06/how-to-...oting-industry/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3271859 - 06/20/13 11:31 AM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: Poser]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

Good read. Although being a "pro" hunter would be an awesome job, it seems like after a while it would be just that... a job. I love to hunt, it's my number one passion. But I like to do a lot of other things too, golf, fish, etc. So it seems like hunting as a job would take away from other hobbies, for me anyway.
#3271978 - 06/20/13 01:26 PM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: morgancountry]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

As the article stated, most "pro staff" are not "professional" hunters, in that they are not paid to hunt. The "pro" stands for "promotional" staff, in that they promote products.

Other than USDA sharpshooters, I know of few if any people who are "paid to hunt." The best a "pro staffer" can hope for is some free equipment.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3272058 - 06/20/13 02:45 PM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: BSK]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

content Online
Good article. Make me wanna go sit in a tree. \:\)

#3272622 - 06/21/13 08:18 AM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: plinker22]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

Anyone can be a pro staffer, you just buy some video equipment and buy a window on the outdoor channel... The reason other shows have so many adds is because those companies pay for there window, and give them equipment.... But like BSK said most "pro" staffers are just guys who get a huge discount or maybe even free stuff at times and in return go to marketing events from time to time and represent their company...

#3273336 - 06/22/13 12:35 AM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: BHC]
Stick'n'String
10 Point

Loc: Nashville

I happened to meet the right person and was invited to join the Mossy Oak "pro" staff 2 years ago. As mentioned, it is a promotional staff made up of regular hunters but several are professional guides and others are on tv/video.

In return for discount on some gear we are expected to work a minimum number of events promoting Mossy Oak and our partners. These event range from NWTF National Convention to hanging out at Walmart answering questions. In addition we are required to attend training sessions for products ranging from Remington guns, Lacrosse boots, to the new MO patterns. We also work with the store managers of our local sporting goods stores to educate their staffs on products or pop in to make sure products are displayed.

I don't know about other groups but I can say the MO team are a bunch of great "normal" guys and gals. I was blessed to meet the right person at the right time by talking about hunting with a "normal" guy during my real job as an IT salesman.

>>>--------->

#3273362 - 06/22/13 04:50 AM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: Stick'n'String]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I have spoken several times with the owner of a popular outdoor show in recent years. Three of us are interested in joining his team of "promotional" staffers.
We are required to buy and use his sponsors gear and expensive camera equipment. In return our pay is the opportunity to tell our story and some more free equipment.

I do lots of video work anyway so we have been considering this.

But there is no money in it.

And very few of the pro hunters in ANY of these shows make much, if any money.

Almost all do this for EGO!!!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3273456 - 06/22/13 09:14 AM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: 102]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Because of my lengthy experience using trail-cameras for monitoring local deer herd composition, behind the scenes I'm often asked by camera manufacturers to test their products and report back to the company any problems I experience or suggestions for making their products better. Although I've done this for many different companies, one company--Uway--asked if they could list me on their website as one of their "pro staffers." I told them that was fine. What do I get for that? Nothing I don't get from other camera-makers; the occasional new product to test and report on. What does Uway get for that? Nothing they didn't already get; my honest opinion of their newest models, the same thing every other camera-maker gets when they send my a test unit.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3273821 - 06/23/13 05:56 AM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

You forgot, you also get those neat patches to wear on your shirt and often, a free hat.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3275192 - 06/25/13 08:31 AM Re: So, you want to be a "pro-staffer", eh? [Re: bowriter]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

How do the so-called "big names" in the industry make money?
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (bassybuck47, Preacher40, scn, boonencrockett, doubledownranch, Jmed, 13 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91504 Topics
1069757 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.