Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3272560 - 06/21/13 07:15 AM Re: Keeping your Bass Alive!!!!!!!! [Re: SilverFox]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

In my opinion, in this heat the best way to keep bass alive is to let them go. Riding around in a livewell, no matter what you do, no matter how lively they seem, is not good for the bass at all when water temps get really high. Tournaments kill as many if not more than the people who eat them. One of the largest boat docks on Kentucky Lake (the owner loves fishermen and tournaments and of course part of the reason is they bring him business) but he will tell you to show up the next morning and look at all the dead bass around the dock. There is a reason some tournament have a release boat that carry the bass out in the middle of the lake and it is not to insure they will live. Catching fish in the HEAT, especially deep, carrying them in a livewell for several hours, is not a good thing unless you plan to eat them. I like tournaments and have nothing against them, but it does crack me when tournament fishermen raise heck about someone legally keeping a bass, when they carry them around in a livewell in the HEAT.

#3272562 - 06/21/13 07:21 AM Re: Keeping your Bass Alive!!!!!!!! [Re: Headhunter]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
In my opinion, in this heat the best way to keep bass alive is to let them go. Riding around in a livewell, no matter what you do, no matter how lively they seem, is not good for the bass at all when water temps get really high. Tournaments kill as many if not more than the people who eat them. One of the largest boat docks on Kentucky Lake (the owner loves fishermen and tournaments and of course part of the reason is they bring him business) but he will tell you to show up the next morning and look at all the dead bass around the dock. There is a reason some tournament have a release boat that carry the bass out in the middle of the lake and it is not to insure they will live. Catching fish in the HEAT, especially deep, carrying them in a livewell for several hours, is not a good thing unless you plan to eat them. I like tournaments and have nothing against them, but it does crack me when tournament fishermen raise heck about someone legally keeping a bass, when they carry them around in a livewell in the HEAT.

I agree with this.

I think warm weather TX should weigh, measeure take a pic and release.

John 15:13

#3272586 - 06/21/13 07:48 AM Re: Keeping your Bass Alive!!!!!!!! [Re: Headhunter]
MidTennFisher
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

Agreed. If you're not going to eat them (there is nothing wrong with choosing to do so) then just take a pic and let them go. These tournament fishermen are kidding themselves if they think these bass survive and need to get off their high horse about releasing bass and wanting to crucify those who eat bass.

#3272959 - 06/21/13 02:30 PM Re: Keeping your Bass Alive!!!!!!!! [Re: MidTennFisher]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

The soda deal works great on a bass that is bleeding, ive used it several times myself and its uncanny how quickly it stops the bleeding, Peroxide will also work but its easier to keep soda on hand it seems! Fizzing them is a must as well if caught in deep water. A 'Kool Well' will save you lots of time in keeping your livewell water temp down about 8-10 degs this time of year as well.
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (redblood, Mudbone, 280longshot, AndyW, Toxophilite Phil, cdw338, 9 invisible) and 223 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85375 Topics
1031632 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.246 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.