Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3272392 - 06/20/13 09:45 PM Hunting log
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

How many of you guys keep a hunting log? And what all data do you record?

#3272450 - 06/20/13 10:41 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: BHC]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I do. I record what days, what stand/ farm,the amount of deer what they were, how long I hunt, and the over all weather like temps wind direction if its raining or any of that.

#3272604 - 06/21/13 08:07 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

My logs include more info than most would ever want to know about.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3272668 - 06/21/13 09:04 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: BSK]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I'd like to hear some of it.. I'm putting one together mine is going to be geared mostly toward movement in relation to wind and weather, that's what I'm most interested in....

#3272800 - 06/21/13 11:43 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: BHC]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I have my own paper log book that I write alot in. But I have an app called the hunting journal and it has a map that you can mark where you have seen sign and what kind of sign it was. All of the hunts I go on the app has where you can put in the barometric pressure, wind direction, wind speed, temp, moon phase. Pretty much everything about the weather. Every deer I see gets documented on the exact time I seen it, its behavior, and which direction it was going. I also document all the sign I see so I know whats old and whats new. What time I enter the woods and what time I leave. And all of this information has been useful to me.

#3272858 - 06/21/13 12:34 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: MattR]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

I only keep track of what dates I kill or see big bucks on.
#3272914 - 06/21/13 01:30 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: Bayou Buck]
BSK
Non-Typical

BHC,

Again, I collect far more information than most hunters would be interested in, but a partial list of data that is collected for every person, every time they hunt is: the date, hunter's name, weapon carried, stand they hunted from, time they got into the stand, time they left the stand, and their elapsed hunting time. If a hunter sees any deer, the exact time they saw each deer or group of deer, how many deer were associated with each sighting time (broken down by adult bucks, adult does, fawns, and unidentifiable deer [and for bucks, their ages, antler points, gross antler score, and photo census ID#]). Data is also collected on which of these deer were legal for harvest (using property rules) and whether a shot was attempted or a clear shot opportunity passed. For shots attempted, the number, distance, and results of each shot are logged, as well as the results of the harvest attempt (missed, wounded and lost, or killed and recovered).

For each time anyone hunts, the following environmental condition information is collected: High temp for the day, low temp for the day, average wind speed during the hunt, average cloud cover during the hunt, primary wind direction, any precipitation that occurred during the hunt, atmospheric pressure, atmospheric pressure trend, and the percent of the moon's surface that is illuminated for that date.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3273361 - 06/22/13 04:43 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

After 31 years of keeping data on all my deer kills (247 to be exact), and most of my days afield, I have discovered a pattern.

The BEST day for me to hunt and kill ANY deer, is October 20th. The best time is 10 AM EST.

My average bow shot is 19 yards.Practice shooting every shot possible at distance 25 yards and in!

Know where to put the bullet or arrow to make the quickest kill.

The best day for me to kill a mature buck in Tennessee, is November 18th. Again...that time is 10 AM EST.

The best conditions are a calm cold, clear day right after a couple days of rain.

OR...a drizzly day after a long, hot, dry stretch of weather, especially during late October or November. Better hunt all day.

This being stated, I have hunted both conditions and had ZIPPO action!

Try to stay clean. Try to hunt the wind. And always try to know on what deer are feeding so you can be between where they are, and where they are going.

OFTEN times I've had deer do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what I expected. One of my favorite sayings is, "this deer obviously did NOT read the rule book".
Just last Halloween I killed an eight point that I watched walk right behind my truck and down a dirt road all the way to 30 yards of me...IN MY WIND!

But most of all, I try to always remember, you can't kill anything sitting at camp. HUNT!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3273453 - 06/22/13 09:01 AM Re: Hunting log [Re: 102]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: 102
The best conditions are a calm cold, clear day right after a couple days of rain.

OR...a drizzly day after a long, hot, dry stretch of weather, especially during late October or November. Better hunt all day.

This being stated, I have hunted both conditions and had ZIPPO action!

...OFTEN times I've had deer do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what I expected.

And with enough data, that is exactly what you will find. No "pattern" is a guarantee of deer activity. Analysis of data will just find which conditions increase or decrease the odds of seeing deer moving. However, that's just the odds. You may still have the best hunting day of the year under the worst odds, or a complete zero day under the best odds. It just means that if you hunt days with the best odds numerous times, you will have more total successes than hunting the same number of days with the worst odds.

For instance, over many years of data collection, bucks sighting rates under the "best" moon conditions average about twice as high as during the "worst" moon conditions. That doesn't mean a hunter should stay home on the worst moon days. It just means the hunter has half the chance of seeing a buck that day as on a day with the best conditions. In addition, that's only over the long term--looking at many, many days under those conditions. In that data can certainly be found hunts under the worst conditions that were exceptionally good, and hunts under the best conditions that were big zeros.

#3273613 - 06/22/13 04:11 PM Re: Hunting log [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

So true Bryan!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (buckarewhohayackhack) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.