Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3270723 - 06/18/13 09:02 PM Hunt WMA or Private land?
Robert Connell
Button

Loc: Mississippi

This is why I ask. I plan on moving to Tennessee next year and I plan on trying to buy a house with some land so that I can hunt on it. I currently live in South Mississippi and the WMA's suck here. No one really takes care of them and last year I almost got shot out of my stand. This is just due to some very rude hunters in this area. Anyways I have never hunted in Tennessee so I wonder how worthy the WMA's are up there and if it is even worth hunting? Do you guys run dogs up there? I want to buy a house with a little bit of land to hunt on but if the WMA's are good hunting areas in Tennessee I wouldnt mind doing that as well as long as its safe and there are deer to hunt. Can you hunt on public land in Tennessee like the Smokey Mountian National Park and areas like that? Anyhelp would be appreciated I am trying to research good hunting areas or good hunting WMA's before I move so I can buy in a good hunting location.

Thanks

Rob

#3270745 - 06/18/13 09:22 PM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: Robert Connell]
DKO77
4 Point

Loc: TN

Lot of good wma's in TN , Im sure some are better than others , there is a lot that I havn't had the chance to hunt. Others could give you more detailed info but you can go to tn.gov/twra and look at the hunting guides, it shows all the wma's and seasons. Also while you're on this site go to the trophy room and look at the pics from the wmas, it might help you make up your mind. Plenty of public land and a good chance to kill game on any of em. No dog running, unless rabbit/deer dogs come by -lol - Good luck and congrats on moving to TN. Lots of good folks on this site - glad to have ya.
#3270747 - 06/18/13 09:24 PM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: Robert Connell]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

National parks are illegal to hunt in everywhere in the country. There are however a lot of national forests that you can hunt in. Cherokee national forest is one of them. But the deer density is extremely low. Middle and west Tennessee have much better deer hunting and more liberal bag limits. No dogs allowed for deer anywhere in tn.

#3270748 - 06/18/13 09:27 PM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: trealtree]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

personally private.

#3270759 - 06/18/13 09:36 PM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: deerhunter10]
Robert Connell
Button

Loc: Mississippi

I prefer private as well but moving there (for me and my family) it is kind of hard to predict how much land to get or how much prices are in that area. We have been looking online to check out houses for sale and found some in our price range but have to check out more. The WMA's in Tennessee sound a lot better then down here in MS. I have been on the TN.gov sight read some information about season bag limits and rules and regulations. I did notice that the zones bag limits differ and I am guessing it is because of what trealtree said about the middle and west TN having more deer population then the East side. The bag limit for middle TN is like 3 a day for doe which sounds like that area is pretty populated. Atleast that is what I am gathering.
#3270800 - 06/18/13 10:28 PM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: Robert Connell]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

Private if you can

#3270805 - 06/18/13 10:43 PM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: easy45]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Killed 6 deer private and 4 on public last year. I love hunting both and would recommend giving the WMA hunting a try. I have only really hunted 2 or 3 WMAs but if you get in the right spots at the right time you can have plenty of deer and little or no hunters. You just have to get used to the fact that someone can walk up and mess your hunt any time.

#3270813 - 06/18/13 10:58 PM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: catman529]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

what area are you planning on moving to
#3270934 - 06/19/13 07:49 AM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

In general, I think you will find a big difference between the TN WMAs and the WMAs of South Mississippi. To be next door, Mississippi has a dramatically different hunting culture than that of TN. Also, South MS in particular, is such a huge deer dogging culture that once dog season is open, the majority of deer hunters on public land are running dogs. I'm not knocking deer dogging and I have no problem with it unto itself, but, for sharing land with others, its about an intrusive form of hunting as your can get. I have seen it for myself in South MS: Guys zipping up and down every available road, chasing their dogs, waiting for deer to run across roads, people shooting at running deer etc. Yes, its more like a war zone than anything else.

Again, if that's the way they want to do things, I have no problem with it, but it does make still hunting rather difficult, plus, the dogs put such a high degree of pressure on the deer that daytime movement drops to almost zero. If you are not interested in deer dogging and don't have private land, South Mississippi can be a difficult place to deer hunt.

I'm not saying that you won't experience crowds on opening weekends on TN public land, but its nothing like what you'll be coming from in South MS. Another big difference is the extremely limited use of ATVs on TN WMAs. In MS, virtually everyone uses ATVs (whether they are allowed to or not, or they use them for access in places where they are only supposed to be used for retrieval). First light on MS public land sounds more like a tractor pull than anything else. So yeah.... no deer dogging and no ATVs makes a big difference as far as finding tranquility in the woods. (again, I'm not knocking these things, just pointing out obvious differences).

Oh yeah, and in TN, game laws are actually laws and not mere "suggestions."

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3271015 - 06/19/13 09:17 AM Re: Hunt WMA or Private land? [Re: Poser]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Private land is easier hunting, less bull crap to put up with, don't have any one ruining your hunt ect ect. It is nice to kill a good buck on a Wma though, very rewarding. but there is so much more that can go wrong, its completely different hunting on Wma's. Even if you have private land though you still have to give the Wma's a try. It's always good to have a back up place to hunt, or a couple, and WMA's are great for that.I love hunting Wma's when there isn't about 100 wanna-be buckmasters running around the woods. With that being said, all WMA's are not created equal.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (pse2, plateaukiller, Rebel, CAW, RAFI, tansinator) and 77 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.