Topic Options
#3266748 - 06/12/13 01:27 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: BuckHunter511]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

Originally Posted By: BuckHunter511
Now what do yal think?

I think it looks like a lot of green.

If I build a map it has waypoints on it, not just yellow lines.

If it works for you, great!

I build maps with points so I can pull one much later and hunt the place. With the map I'm confident that I can get there before first light, lock on a way point, go to that spot and kill what I'm after, and it can be years later.

I also like it that way because I haven't educated anyone to the information I have. I'm in and out before anyone knows I'm there including the game.

Been to places years after making a map and come home a happy hunter with nothing left behind but a gut pile.

#3267892 - 06/14/13 12:06 AM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: Poser]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: BSK
The book should have been called "Deer Hunting and Topography in the Midwest."

I haven't read the book. Did it not cover hunting in hilly or mountainous terrain (where terrain is everything)?

Not so much. I mean its in there, but "Mountain "Hunting" unto itself is not addressed. However, you could apply more even terrain features to more extreme features in the mountains, in theory at least. That being said, when you look at a topo map where there are tons of lines crammed together (hilly/mountain terrain), you need to to be able to interpret not only isolated features (saddles, hilltop funnels etc), but the function of the larger area and how those terrain features connect with other features. To my recollection (I read the book 2 years ago and gave it to a friend who lives in Indiana), I don't recall the book addressing mountain/hilly terrain anything close to that specific. All of the pics were from the Midwest. In fact, I'm not sure of the author has ever hunted non-Midwest terrain, in which case, it might be difficult to claim authority on the subject of using terrain features to hunt deer no matter your geographical setting.

I mean, I get it. Books need to have as broad appeal as possible in order to seel copies. Writing a book on "How to hunt deer in the Mountains" or "How to hunt deer in the swamps" or "How to Hunt deer in the Desert" or, for that matter "How to Hunt Deer in the Suburbs" are likely too specific to sell enough copies to be successful, though they could certainly fill in a gap of deer hunting literature where, once again, anything outside of the Midwest doesn't seem to matter.

I'm trying not to be overly critical of the book or the author, I'm merely saying, I don't consider it a "go to" source for information on terrain features related to deer hunting.

What is your go to source for information on terrain features related to deer hunting?

I'd love to be exposed to a better source of information!

#3267961 - 06/14/13 07:27 AM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: scn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: scn
 Originally Posted By: BSK
The book should have been called "Deer Hunting and Topography in the Midwest."

I haven't read the book. Did it not cover hunting in hilly or mountainous terrain (where terrain is everything)?

Not so much. I mean its in there, but "Mountain "Hunting" unto itself is not addressed. However, you could apply more even terrain features to more extreme features in the mountains, in theory at least. That being said, when you look at a topo map where there are tons of lines crammed together (hilly/mountain terrain), you need to to be able to interpret not only isolated features (saddles, hilltop funnels etc), but the function of the larger area and how those terrain features connect with other features. To my recollection (I read the book 2 years ago and gave it to a friend who lives in Indiana), I don't recall the book addressing mountain/hilly terrain anything close to that specific. All of the pics were from the Midwest. In fact, I'm not sure of the author has ever hunted non-Midwest terrain, in which case, it might be difficult to claim authority on the subject of using terrain features to hunt deer no matter your geographical setting.

I mean, I get it. Books need to have as broad appeal as possible in order to seel copies. Writing a book on "How to hunt deer in the Mountains" or "How to hunt deer in the swamps" or "How to Hunt deer in the Desert" or, for that matter "How to Hunt Deer in the Suburbs" are likely too specific to sell enough copies to be successful, though they could certainly fill in a gap of deer hunting literature where, once again, anything outside of the Midwest doesn't seem to matter.

I'm trying not to be overly critical of the book or the author, I'm merely saying, I don't consider it a "go to" source for information on terrain features related to deer hunting.

What is your go to source for information on terrain features related to deer hunting?

I'd love to be exposed to a better source of information!

I'm not sure if a singular book source on whitetail topography exists. Maybe BSK should start working on a book proposal

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
47 registered (volsfan1976, dralarms, Model70Man, TW, huntncoach, Bow Hunter, 3 invisible) and 85 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95796 Topics
1121492 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.