Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3267602 - 06/13/13 04:22 PM Brushy MTN to a Distillery ?
jos3ywales
14 Point

Loc: Norris Dam

WARTBURG (WATE) - Morgan County leaders are considering allowing voters to decide whether the county should move ahead with plans to turn the former Brushy Mountain Correctional Complex into a distillery.

Plans are still "extremely preliminary" according to county leaders, but 6 News is told there is talk with a company from outside Morgan County about opening a distillery at the prison, which has been closed since 2009.

The county said in order for the prison to turn into a distillery, the company interested in building will have to first craft a petition that meets the standards of the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

There are then two options for getting that petition to lead to a referendum.

"They could either go ahead and get signatures for it or they could take it to county commission," Morgan County Administrator of Elections Tim Sweat said.

Sweat said a minimum of 650 signatures from Morgan County residents who voted during the November 2012 general election are needed for the petition to be accepted.

Some Morgan County residents expressed opposition to the plans because of concerns over bringing alcohol into a dry county.

"I don't believe in selling it. I don't believe in buying it and I don't believe in drinking it," Morgan County resident Martha Collins said.

Other Morgan County residents said the change could spur local economic growth.

"They can use the jobs, for sure, and the tax revenue off it wouldn't be bad either, I suppose," Deer Lodge resident Doug Cavin said.

"I know people need to work," Collins said. "They need the jobs, but I just don't believe in the drinking and selling it."

If Morgan County moves quickly with the plans, the referendum could be included in a special election or the next general election in Aug. 2014.

County leaders said the prison is state property, and therefore the county will work with the state if a referendum is passed in favor of the distillery.

This isn't the first time Tennessee has planned to put a distillery in a dry county. Moore County is dry and it's home to the headquarters and distillery of Jack Daniel's.

A presentation will be made to Morgan County Commission on the distillery during the July meeting.

"Let God in he will save you all you have to do is ask"

"I'm a legend in my own mind"

Jos3ywales

#3267723 - 06/13/13 07:10 PM Re: Brushy MTN to a Distillery ? [Re: jos3ywales]
arctic_cat
8 Point

Loc: Lenoir City,Tn

boys at work have been talking about this for months now. I think its a great idea. The place will not be used for anything else so why not put a few jobs in Morgan County. Its been talks about a bed n breakfest all the way to the Distillery idea. hope they do something with it. Its a great looking place if you ask me.

WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE, YOU GAIN AN ANGEL YOU KNOW

MEMORIES, IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT CAN NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

#3267734 - 06/13/13 07:31 PM Re: Brushy MTN to a Distillery ? [Re: arctic_cat]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

I bet those opposed to it probably have NO problem taking healthcare supplied Xanax, Ativan, Valium, or now hydrocodones as their form of "nerve medicine", especially in a county that is also top 10 in meth production.

I say make it, and tax it, because the county sure could use the revenues.

#3267738 - 06/13/13 07:36 PM Re: Brushy MTN to a Distillery ? [Re: 7mm08]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Let the Whiskey flow. -got nothing to lose by jobs and revenue by not having more distilleries.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Reaper40, mtalerico, Chevy454, winchester77jj, greysquirrel
13259 Registered Users
Who's Online
30 registered (Deerbuster1996, MarlinSlayer, Southpaw, TNRifleman, gun nut, old guy, 4 invisible) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13259 Members
42 Forums
92821 Topics
1084480 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.088 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.