Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3259780 - 06/02/13 11:06 AM Olde Eynsford Powder
FrontierGander
6 Point

Loc: Boncarbo,Colorado

2 1/2" 3 shot group on my first try with 100gr OE 1 1/2 Fg, .018" patch and .570" round ball @ 50 yards. I upped it to 110 and it shrunk greatly as you will see once I put the video together. No fancy stuff in the video, just me basically thinking out loud and making notes about my findings with the powder.

I did also try the 3 Fg @ 90 grains and man, it was HORRIBLE. I am not kidding, I honestly don't think theres any possible way to improve on that group it shot LOL. I thought about dropping it to 70gr but I don't see it fixing the group so I will save it for my 50cal Flintlock which I know enjoys 3f. I just have to do a little work on that gun, mainly in the sight area and she'll be ready.

Overall, Im extremely pleased with this powder so far. The biggest deal with me is how much cleaner is shoots than Goex and does not require me to gorilla the next shot down. Normally with my 120gr 2F Goex load I have to pound on the handle on theshort starter to get the next shot loaded into the muzzle and then use my palm saver handle over the ramrod to seat the ball. None of that was needed today. Just basically lean into the short starter and push and in she goes.

MUCH more shooting needed, especially at longer ranges of 75 and 100 yards before I can decide if I will trust it enough as far as consistency goes, for hunting.

Video Old Eynesford VIDEO HERE

#3259961 - 06/02/13 05:51 PM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: FrontierGander]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

It's my understanding that Old Eynesford is Goex's attempt to compete with Swiss...the only true sporting grade black powder on the market. I actually have no issues with regular Goex but since I'll be going to the NMLRA matches in June I think I'll pick up a pound and see for myself what all the hype is about.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3260061 - 06/02/13 07:43 PM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: Wobblyshot1]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

cool

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3260722 - 06/03/13 05:29 PM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: Deer Assassin]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

A guy at a match in West Virginia I went to recently had some but he sold out of the 2F before I could buy any.

Wobbyly, are you headed to Friendship?

#3261074 - 06/04/13 06:10 AM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: TennesseeJed]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Yes, I'm headed out this weekend. My stay is going to be a little short this year because of an appointment I have next week.

From what I've been hearing they have an ample supply of black powder in the magazine. I reckon Goex is really trying to push their "new" Old Eynsford.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3265630 - 06/10/13 08:45 PM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: Wobblyshot1]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Just got back from Friendship and I bought a pound of Olde Eynsford 2f. When I can get some range time, I'll give it a try.

FrontierGander...How's your testing going?
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3265694 - 06/10/13 09:40 PM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: Wobblyshot1]
FrontierGander
6 Point

Loc: Boncarbo,Colorado

AWESOME. Thats how its going! I changed some things up, got horrible accuracy, did another change today and this is what i came up with at 100 yards....

-------------------------------------------------------
Now the last time I went out, I had a bad group, I had changed nipples out as well as mixed my olive oil - beeswax patch lube to thick and ran out of round patches so i settled for square hand cut patches.

Today I installed the original nipple that came with the barrel, went to a .020" patch lubed with Moose Milk I bought from the local Rendezvous "AWESOME STUFF!" And took the 58 Hawken out to 100 yards.

The patch lube Moose Milk is just fantastic! I soaked my patches, squeezed them out and they leave a very thin coat of lube thats just silky smooth on your fingers and when you reload on a fouled bore, Its like loading on a clean barrel, Extremely impressed with this stuff! Will buy another bottle on Wednesday when i go back to the Rendezvous for the buffalo roast.

My first 2 shots at 100 yards, lowest is #2. Not sure what happened on that one.

If you though THAT was good for 2 shots, Lets add shot #3 to the picture.

Was it the nipple causing my problems earlier? Was is the patch lube? Was it fixed by me using Acraglass on the trigger inlet for solid contact and hopefully to keep the tang screw from loosening up? Who knows. I will just have to change out the main deal for me and that is installing the new nipple and trying again.

Right now I am just blown away and have a very sore throat from screaming my guts out when I looked through the binos and saw this group!

#3266206 - 06/11/13 05:58 PM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: FrontierGander]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

That's a good group you got there. I'm planning on comparing the OE with both Swiss and regular Goex.....chrono, observation on how clean it burns, etc....

Hopefully it will be worth the extra couple of bucks per pound. Like I said before, I think it's intended to compete with Swiss. If it can, I may use more of it.

One other thing FG....you can make your own moose milk. The recipe is 2oz Napa cutting oil( from the auto parts place ), 2oz Murphy's oil soap, and 1 liter water. You can substitute Ballistol for the Napa oil. I hear a lot of shooters are doing that now because they claim that the napa oil has been changed and is not as compatible to black powder as it use to be. It's a good all round lube and cleaner for every day range use, but because of the water content I believe I'd use something different for hunting.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3267281 - 06/13/13 08:23 AM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: Wobblyshot1]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

Wobbyly, how was the attendence this year and what matches did you shoot?

#3267722 - 06/13/13 07:08 PM Re: Olde Eynsford Powder [Re: TennesseeJed]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

The attendance was pretty much what it's been for the last decade or so....mainly a bunch of old geezers like me. I was somewhat encouraged to see what seemed to me more younger people participating this year. The NMLRA is sorely in need of younger folks if the tradition is to continue.

Since I was only there a short while, the only shooting I did was the flintlock offhand aggregate in the territorial championship. No need to go any further as I shot lousy.

TennesseeJed, has you ever been. If you haven't and ever decide to go look me up and I'll show you around.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
36 registered (Backstrapcrazy, fredfred, bjohnson, birddog, Gravel, ROVERBOY, 3 invisible) and 83 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99055 Topics
1164651 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.223 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.