Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3264271 - 06/09/13 01:33 AM school me on fly rodding.
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

I have a old fiber glass 7wt that I'm gonna start learn'n to use, one old gent told to buy a cheap reel since all it does is hold line but DO spend some cash for a good line, that a good line will cast better & shorten the learn'n curve.

Question : do I need to attatch a leader & tippet while learning or will it work as well with just the line ? if I do, what size & length ??

Which fly/popper mite be a good place to start, & do I need to use a certain size consider'n its 7wt rod ??

Thanks in advance.

Edited by FOX FIRE (06/09/13 01:34 AM)

#3264372 - 06/09/13 08:54 AM Re: school me on fly rodding. [Re: FOX FIRE]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I agree. For now, you don't need a fancy reel. But if you get into it, you will want one later.

The only reason for attaching a leader for practice is so you can see how the very end of your line "turns over." Does it pile up or make a huge arc or lay out nicely? You can attach some colored yarn to the end to be able to see this. For learning purposes, I'd start with something short - buy a 3x seven foot tapered leader. You won't need a tippet for practice unless you're going to be breaking off tangled in the trees or something. A tapered leader as opposed to just tying some mono on the end will "turn over" correctly if you are casting correctly. Again though, attaching leader and tippet is not a necessity for practice.

Your fly will depend on what you're trying to catch. For a 7-weight, you have covered a ton of casting bases in that there aren't too many flies you can't cast (unless you are throwing big streamers for stripers or something).

Although a 7-weight might be considered a little big for bluegill and small bass, you might start there because they are easier to catch. You can just toss a small popping bug (whatever size you think will fit in the mouth of whatever size fish you're catching).

For now, I wouldn't worry about a "dropper" fly (a second fly trailing the first) as this easily tangles with beginners (and some veterans like me!). Another route is to strip and twitch a streamer like a wooly bugger, a super bugger (my favorite), a Clouser minnow, or a muddler minnow.

If you want to tackle some trout, we can add some nymphs and a strike indicator to your arsenal, but I'd start with some of the easier quarry until you get proficient.

I will add an addendum that some folks may disagree with. Fly casting and fishing are not that hard if you learn correctly and put in some practice. I decided to learn on my own, and I picked up some bad habits that took years to correct. If you really want to save time and money, go spend some time and a little bit of money. Take a beginner's class at one of your local fly shops, and get a guide who will teach you the right way to do things.

I hired a guide after five years of self-taught fumbling. I learned more in those three hours than in all those five years before. Good luck.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3264577 - 06/09/13 02:33 PM Re: school me on fly rodding. [Re: gil1]
BigRod
4 Point

Loc: Anderson County, Tn

3 words for ya, back yard practice!
If there's anything I can help ya with feel free to give me a call, 865 680 7982!

I use to guide on the clinch up here in east tn, for trout. I know a thing or two about catching small mouth and yes even the famous carp on a fly. I don't mind to talk ya threw it.
Rodney

#3264636 - 06/09/13 04:07 PM Re: school me on fly rodding. [Re: BigRod]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

There are a ton of You Tube videos on fly casting. It will be WELL worth your time to watch some, particularly if you don't take Gil's great advice on the casting lesson. Learning the "right way" is much simpler than having to break bad habits later. If you can find some by Joan Wulff, watch those closely as she is a great instructor.

Keep in mind that the rod/line are what casts your fly, and that proper technique beats brute strength. A common problem for beginners (and folks like me that learned wrong by themselves) is bending the wrist instead of using the entire forearm in the casting motion. There are actually training tools out there that use a strap (Ms. Wulff uses a bandanna in some of her classes) to bind the rod to the wrist to learn the proper feel.

It is very much worth some "lawn time" before you head to the pond or river where trees and fish come into play.

Enjoy and don't stress about it. It is a deal where you will continue to learn until you hang it up, and you will be able to catch some fish even in the early stages.

#3264646 - 06/09/13 04:22 PM Re: school me on fly rodding. [Re: scn]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

IF you only learn 25% of what this guy knows you will be great!
It's an art form, like learning a guitar. Enjoy it.

PS. Look up everything this guys says and forget everybody else...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2nJ9xGuSH7g&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2nJ9xGuSH7g

#3264843 - 06/09/13 07:58 PM Re: school me on fly rodding. [Re: 7mm08]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

Thanks for the great turn out guys, will take every bit of the info to heart, lessons would be serious cool also because I want to learn it corectly the first go round VS try to break a habit,kind of obsesive about get'n things 100% anyway.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30, fallshollow270
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (BamaProud, BlountArrow, Bow Hunter, longnosedoe, wcsd462, beachguy) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88864 Topics
1039523 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.271 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.