Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#3263318 - 06/07/13 08:23 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: MattR]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: MattRitter
BSK, how did that affect the rut, the 2:1 ratio? It seems like everyone around the Nashville the rut was on fire but that was far from my experience this year. I would think your talking about somewhere a ways from nashville too right? everywhere I have beenit seems they are overpopulated.

We have a very tight and intense rut, and it occurs about a week before the rut in surrounding areas.

Property is in western Humphreys County.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3263384 - 06/07/13 10:21 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Poser]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

I heard Missouri is the place to go...

#3263981 - 06/08/13 01:36 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Roost 1]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
I think comparing KY to Iowa or Illinios is like comparing apples and oranges.
Take away KY rifle season and the number of trophy deer drops considerably.
Add a rifle season to the Midwestern states and there trophy harvests jump considerably.

I think valid comparisons are being made between these states, provided THE DIFFERENCES between them are not being overlooked. Iowa & Illinois both have a lot more "open" habitat than KY, so if they allowed centerfire rifles, those longer-range weapons would provide more advantage in those states than centerfires provide in most of KY.

We should do our best to make "apples to apples" comparisons, but to each of us, some things matter a lot more than others. Being a TN resident, I find the logistics of hunting in KY to be much better than hunting in Illinois or Iowa. Much easier for me to hunt more days in KY. Other things being in the same ball park, being able to hunt more in one place over the other is a significant factor in probable outcome.

I also prefer to deer hunt with a rifle rather than a shotgun. Some are more interested in archery only opportunities, and for them, having less gun hunting days, (especially when most of the gun hunting is post-rut) is a big factor. But what if you're NOT an avid bowhunter and prefer hunting with a gun? You might prefer to hunt with a rifle during the peak of the rut as in Kentucky?

I personally wish they would either do away with the center fire rifle season or at least reduce the number of days. 16 days of rifle hunting during the rut is too much in my opinion.

Would you feel that way if you didn't bowhunt? What if your annual hunting were limited to only 2 or 3 weekends a year?

As a sidebar in making another comparison, by your stated perspective, you would REALLY NOT like how the seasons are in TN. Tennessee has over twice as many gun days annually as KY. And to top off the differences, KY opens "deer season" weeks earlier than TN, and closes it weeks later! Relatively speaking (comparing TN to KY), more of KY's "trophy" bucks are taken by archery-only hunters. This is great if you're an avid bowhunter, sucks if you only hunt with a gun.

In my opinion a hunter should not ever want their home state to be labelled as a "trophy state." Nothing good will ever come of it unless you own a bunch of land and want to lease it out or become an outfitter.

I think being labeled as a "trophy state" is losing much of the luster it once had. The quality of the deer herds has improved so much in most states that the differences are just not as great as they once were, state to state. And since more states have been labeled as "trophy states", we've actually seen the number of hunters shrink. So I don't think the sky is about to fall.

More like these are the good ole days of deer hunting in most states, no matter whether you're a deer hunter or a trophy bowhunter. In fact, if anything, trophy bowhunters have a faster growing opportunity than those who hunt only with a gun.

But in my "perfect world", Kentucky would have a shorter archery season, and a 2-buck limit, as would Tennessee. You won't find many as "avid" about deer hunting as I am. But I believe we have been placing too much emphasis on deer hunting, and not enough emphasis on hunting.

#3264117 - 06/08/13 07:20 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Wes Parrish]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
I think comparing KY to Iowa or Illinios is like comparing apples and oranges.
Take away KY rifle season and the number of trophy deer drops considerably.
Add a rifle season to the Midwestern states and there trophy harvests jump considerably.

I think valid comparisons are being made between these states, provided THE DIFFERENCES between them are not being overlooked. Iowa & Illinois both have a lot more "open" habitat than KY, so if they allowed centerfire rifles, those longer-range weapons would provide more advantage in those states than centerfires provide in most of KY.

We should do our best to make "apples to apples" comparisons, but to each of us, some things matter a lot more than others. Being a TN resident, I find the logistics of hunting in KY to be much better than hunting in Illinois or Iowa. Much easier for me to hunt more days in KY. Other things being in the same ball park, being able to hunt more in one place over the other is a significant factor in probable outcome.

I also prefer to deer hunt with a rifle rather than a shotgun. Some are more interested in archery only opportunities, and for them, having less gun hunting days, (especially when most of the gun hunting is post-rut) is a big factor. But what if you're NOT an avid bowhunter and prefer hunting with a gun? You might prefer to hunt with a rifle during the peak of the rut as in Kentucky?

I personally wish they would either do away with the center fire rifle season or at least reduce the number of days. 16 days of rifle hunting during the rut is too much in my opinion.

Would you feel that way if you didn't bowhunt? What if your annual hunting were limited to only 2 or 3 weekends a year?

As a sidebar in making another comparison, by your stated perspective, you would REALLY NOT like how the seasons are in TN. Tennessee has over twice as many gun days annually as KY. And to top off the differences, KY opens "deer season" weeks earlier than TN, and closes it weeks later! Relatively speaking (comparing TN to KY), more of KY's "trophy" bucks are taken by archery-only hunters. This is great if you're an avid bowhunter, sucks if you only hunt with a gun.

In my opinion a hunter should not ever want their home state to be labelled as a "trophy state." Nothing good will ever come of it unless you own a bunch of land and want to lease it out or become an outfitter.

I think being labeled as a "trophy state" is losing much of the luster it once had. The quality of the deer herds has improved so much in most states that the differences are just not as great as they once were, state to state. And since more states have been labeled as "trophy states", we've actually seen the number of hunters shrink. So I don't think the sky is about to fall.

More like these are the good ole days of deer hunting in most states, no matter whether you're a deer hunter or a trophy bowhunter. In fact, if anything, trophy bowhunters have a faster growing opportunity than those who hunt only with a gun.

But in my "perfect world", Kentucky would have a shorter archery season, and a 2-buck limit, as would Tennessee. You won't find many as "avid" about deer hunting as I am. But I believe we have been placing too much emphasis on deer hunting, and not enough emphasis on hunting.

Wow.... I think you missed my point completely!!!!!
If you think 16 days of rifle hunting during peak rut doesn't give KY the upper hand over places like Iowa and IL you are mistaken. Point I was making is that most of KY "trophy buck" are taken with rifle where as if hunters in those other places had that advantage KY would not be mentioned in same conversation. Anyone who thinks KY has more top end bucks than Iowa hasn't ever been to Iowa...The Midwest states value the resource more than the kdfwr does and it is very apparent. If it matters I have hunted all 3 places so I know a little about what I am saying.....

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3264204 - 06/08/13 09:22 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Roost 1]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

If you think 16 days of rifle hunting during peak rut doesn't give KY the upper hand over places like Iowa and IL you are mistaken.

Not completely. \:\)
What I was saying is that KY (at least for me) DOES HAVE the upper hand over places like Iowa & IL, in part BECAUSE OF those 16 days of rifle hunting during the peak of the rut. All things being equal, my preference is to hunt the rut with the most effective weapon possible. That may be a bow or a shotgun in IL, but in KY, it's a rifle.

But this is just my personal preference coming from someone who is more a deer hunter than a specific weapon enthusiast. Just know I can be more effective with a rifle than with a bow, even though I enjoy the hunting regardless of which is in my hand.

#3264236 - 06/08/13 10:20 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Wes Parrish]
Roost 1
10 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
If you think 16 days of rifle hunting during peak rut doesn't give KY the upper hand over places like Iowa and IL you are mistaken.

Not completely. \:\)
What I was saying is that KY (at least for me) DOES HAVE the upper hand over places like Iowa & IL, in part BECAUSE OF those 16 days of rifle hunting during the peak of the rut. All things being equal, my preference is to hunt the rut with the most effective weapon possible. That may be a bow or a shotgun in IL, but in KY, it's a rifle.

But this is just my personal preference coming from someone who is more a deer hunter than a specific weapon enthusiast. Just know I can be more effective with a rifle than with a bow, even though I enjoy the hunting regardless of which is in my hand.

ok, I think I understand what you are saying now..We are looking at it from 2 different viewpoints I think. If you are saying, from a hunters standpoint of trying to be successful because of the advantage of our rifle season, then yes I guess KY is a top trophy state although I think your chances of seeing more top-end deer are better in Iowa however because of weapons restrictions you are not as likely to harvest. Harold Knight, Knight and Hale Game Calls, told me Iowa is the only place he can hunt and see a B&C everyday. However he is yet to kill one over 170". Point I was trying to make is that KY just doesn't have the top end deer that the Midwest does and I stick to that. Your point, I think, is that is easier to kill a "trophy" deer in KY. I will agree to that.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3264394 - 06/09/13 09:17 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Roost 1]
BSK
Non-Typical

We are looking at it from 2 different viewpoints I think. If you are saying, from a hunters standpoint of trying to be successful because of the advantage of our rifle season, then yes I guess KY is a top trophy state although I think your chances of seeing more top-end deer are better in Iowa however because of weapons restrictions you are not as likely to harvest. Harold Knight, Knight and Hale Game Calls, told me Iowa is the only place he can hunt and see a B&C everyday. However he is yet to kill one over 170". Point I was trying to make is that KY just doesn't have the top end deer that the Midwest does and I stick to that. Your point, I think, is that is easier to kill a "trophy" deer in KY. I will agree to that.

Exactly Roost 1, you nailed the argument. The agricultural Midwestern states most likely have more top-end trophy bucks present, but limitations in weapon type make them much less likely to be killed. KY doesn't have as many top-end trophies, but they are more killable.

If I were a bow-only trophy hunter, I would be focusing on the agricultural Midwest. If I were any any-weapon trophy hunter, I would be focusing on KY.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3264457 - 06/09/13 11:16 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
Roost 1
10 Point

content Online
I am wondering how northern MO gets left out of these conversations?
If I wanted to go on a top end rifle or bow hunt it would be as close to that IA border as I could get........

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3264498 - 06/09/13 12:29 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Roost 1]
BSK
Non-Typical

I am wondering how northern MO gets left out of these conversations?
If I wanted to go on a top end rifle or bow hunt it would be as close to that IA border as I could get........

In my opinion, northern MO, with its more flat, open habitat, gets a lot more harvest pressure than the big buck areas of KY.

#3264568 - 06/09/13 02:13 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
I personally don't think it means anything. If I had one chance at a trophy buck hunt I'd still go to Wisconsin, Iowa, or Illinois.

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
49 registered (Britlab, ruger7mag, mjac, RodBone75, Good time Charlie, taximan, 5 invisible) and 107 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95976 Topics
1123866 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.