Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3262957 - 06/06/13 02:55 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Football Hunter]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

I have one of exactly what you're talking about, some folks call it simply a "ripper".
As seen here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TRI-7-Shank-...6b#ht_864wt_902

I doubt it will be the magic tool you're thinking honestly. Mine is 6 foot long and has 18" or 20" scarifers hanging off of it and it's a straight bar. They're actually not that heavy as far as the one I have and the one pictured above. More than anything I have found them most useful for breaking ground before I till it. I've tried to use it for exactly what you're talking about and it just doesn't work that well. One day something miraculous happened and I actually flipped mine upside down with all 3 points attached because I put it under such a load. How is that even possible you might ask, well I asked myself the same thing \:\) ? It bent my adjustable top link slightly. They are, however, GREAT for making life on my big tiller easier. If the ground is right you could actually put in a food plot with just the use of a ripper, but again, that's if the ground is right and not alot of trash and dense grasses.

Edited by BlountArrow (06/06/13 02:56 PM)

#3262962 - 06/06/13 03:00 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: BlountArrow]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Buy one of these old JD chisel plows.. I have used one for many hours.. a root doesnt stand a chance.. it will clean every root out of a field.. in fact it catches so many they changed the design to a more square frame to allow roots to make it through so you could keep plowing..
http://www.uship.com/shipment/John-Deere-Chisel-Plow/991618863/

#3262985 - 06/06/13 03:21 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: pressfit]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Thanks for all the ideas and comments. I'm reclaiming alot of ground these days with my bushog: old loading decks, patches overgrown with brush, field edges that were lined with river cane, little gums and sumac here and there, small openings/edges. My goal is to get more grassy edge rather than woody edge, some of which I am planting in several different types of perennials. Well, the box with rippers down works ok for the little stumps and roots but they don't go terribly deep. So I started thinking about something with a little more oomph.

I'm not sure what I'll do just yet but am considering options. I'd started off with the idea of just renting a little dozer but when I looked at monthly rental rates started wondering if a another piece of equipment might not make more sense. One thing led to another...you know how it is. \:\)

#3263158 - 06/06/13 08:58 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Boll Weevil]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

I use one mainly on new dozed ground, great for cleaning roots, pieces of sticks out, mowed weeds. I know where an older one is for sell, real good deal near Jackson. pm me for info

#3263295 - 06/07/13 08:02 AM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: tickweed]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Tick...sent you a PM.
#3263314 - 06/07/13 08:20 AM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
How about a box blade with the rippers extended all the way down? It won't be as heavy duty as the ripper you posted the link to, but it will be better than a landscape rake.

DO NOT DO THIS!

I've done so and the results (to the box blade) were not favorable! \:\(

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3263561 - 06/07/13 02:54 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: BSK]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
How about a box blade with the rippers extended all the way down? It won't be as heavy duty as the ripper you posted the link to, but it will be better than a landscape rake.

DO NOT DO THIS!

I yield to the voice of experience - someone who could demolish a block of cast iron with a toothpick!

#3263573 - 06/07/13 03:24 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

DO NOT DO THIS!

I yield to the voice of experience - someone who could demolish a block of cast iron with a toothpick!

You said a mouthful there woodchuckc!

And by the way, I literally tore one of the box blade's teeth right through the frame of the RENTED unit I was using. Ouch...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3263889 - 06/08/13 08:47 AM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Football Hunter]
bdydrp97s10
Button

Loc: Jonesborough TN

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
I've been doing a little research online and have found a few options but nothing local. Anyone know where I might find a 3 point root rake close by? I'm not talking about the flimsy landscape rakes but sho'nuff heavy duty rake to clear smaller saplings and brush...something like you see here.
Reread your original post,you'd be surprised how hard its gonna be to "uproot" small stuff,very aggrevating with a rake type implement,saplings will slip out,you'll have to back up a LOT! Just a heads up.

I agree. I modified a cultivator frame and made something very similar to this apparatus. something like this can bog a tractor down with a quickness. I have a 62 HP tractor and I got bogged down alot. Like stated before I think what your looking for is better off on a bigger piece of equipment

#3263894 - 06/08/13 09:27 AM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: bdydrp97s10]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Okie doke...I've given up on this idea for now.

In order to maneuver in these places as needed the tractor I'd be using is a 65hp 4wd; I just can't get the bigger tractor in there as its not small and nimble enough. No sense in picking up a piece of equipment that won't get the job done as expected.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
21 registered (fourwheeler431, FrontierGander, ruger7mag, Master Chief, leader, FlintvilleMonster, 4 invisible) and 86 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85727 Topics
1035987 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.22 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.