Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3263902 - 06/08/13 09:46 AM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Boll Weevil]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
Okie doke...I've given up on this idea for now.

In order to maneuver in these places as needed the tractor I'd be using is a 65hp 4wd; I just can't get the bigger tractor in there as its not small and nimble enough. No sense in picking up a piece of equipment that won't get the job done as expected.

You don't need a large tractor to use one of these It's called a Renovator and is sold at Tullahoma tractor. My Yanmar is only 26 h.p. and has no problems ripping roots out of those new hard to reach food plots. Of course the 4 wheel drive helps.

#3263922 - 06/08/13 11:05 AM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: bigtex]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: bigtex
Okie doke...I've given up on this idea for now.

In order to maneuver in these places as needed the tractor I'd be using is a 65hp 4wd; I just can't get the bigger tractor in there as its not small and nimble enough. No sense in picking up a piece of equipment that won't get the job done as expected.

You don't need a large tractor to use one of these It's called a Renovator and is sold at Tullahoma tractor. My Yanmar is only 26 h.p. and has no problems ripping roots out of those new hard to reach food plots. Of course the 4 wheel drive helps.

Is this any different than a Ripper (see my earlier post).

#3263966 - 06/08/13 12:54 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Boll Weevil]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

Find chisel plow that your tractor can handle and place all the shanks on the rear tool bar as close you can. Be sure to remove the points from the shanks so it will not dig into the ground. You can mount the shanks either direction just depends on if you want to pile in reverse or forward.

#3263990 - 06/08/13 01:57 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Hawk]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

content Online
Bigtex, that just might work. I will look online but do you know if they have a heavier built model? I can hear it now...the 'ting' of welds popping on that angle iron with the grunt of 65hp. Might have to just add a little steel to shore it up; maybe some tube or gussets.

Will it jerk little stumps? 1-3" sapling sized stuff?

#3264023 - 06/08/13 03:18 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Boll Weevil]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Boll, I wish we didn't live on opposite sides of the state. Because I have a ripper which is essentially what is pictured above and a 56 Horse tractor and I'm telling you from experience it will not do what you're wanting done. If you lived closer I'd let you borrow it just so you could see how limited its function really is.

#3264053 - 06/08/13 04:32 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: BlountArrow]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

content Online
I'll tell you from experience...I tend to listen to experience. \:\) I'm not certain it'll work for sure just yet.
#3264139 - 06/08/13 07:58 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: BlountArrow]
bigtex
8 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BlountArrow

Is this any different than a Ripper (see my earlier post).

It looks to be about the same thing. The one in your link looks a little longer than mine though. I believe mine is a 5 ft.

#3264152 - 06/08/13 08:20 PM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: Boll Weevil]
bigtex
8 Point

content Online
Bigtex, that just might work. I will look online but do you know if they have a heavier built model? I can hear it now...the 'ting' of welds popping on that angle iron with the grunt of 65hp. Might have to just add a little steel to shore it up; maybe some tube or gussets.

Will it jerk little stumps? 1-3" sapling sized stuff?

Not sure if they make a heavier model or not. Mine is built a lot stronger than it looks. And yes it will pull small saplings and stumps out of the ground easy enough. The good thing about using a smaller H.P. tractor like mind is that the engine will stall out before anything breaks, lol.
I've used this little outfit to prep all of my out of the way plots, and i'm always surprised how well it does.
Good luck to ya!!

#3264388 - 06/09/13 09:08 AM Re: 3 point hitch root rake? [Re: bigtex]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

A chisel plow is your best bet. But even chisel plows are built to allow the tines to pop backwards, out of the way, when they hit something really hard (like a buried stump). I've watched my terribly rocky and thin-soiled plots chisel plowed by a 110 HP tractor numerous times, and those chisels won't pull stumps, but they will pull most roots and even some sizeable rocks.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
80 registered (Deer Whisperer, devo1980, ferg, bigtex, Big Buck, TripleE, 14 invisible) and 90 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90778 Topics
1060075 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.253 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.