Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3260471 - 06/03/13 10:46 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: hitek7]
kldeerkiller
4 Point

Loc: hawkins county

I think alot of folks are hung up on antlers and they worry to much about what everyone else is doing and should keep their opinions to themselves. If I choose to shoot a spike or let it walk its my business. Not everyone has the luxury on having quality private land.
#3260758 - 06/03/13 06:17 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: hitek7]
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

I think some are misunderstanding. I didn't mention killing everything you see or down - size of, how, where, or what type of means or methods you use. I am simply trying to say that no matter what the size it is still a trophy, no matter if you leave with a tag full or not it was still a good hunt, take an extra few minutes and talk to a stranger cause you may find a new friend, forget the feeders and electronics and talk a walk or sit and listen to the woods, teach what you know.
#3261103 - 06/04/13 07:27 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Grill-n-man]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: wilkey
...forget the feeders and electronics and talk a walk or sit and listen to the woods, teach what you know.

I don't use feeders because they're detrimental to wildlife, but the "electronics" have been one of the best teachers of deer knowledge I've ever come across. Without trail-cams, GPS, computer technology, etc., anything I taught to others would have been pure speculation (and much of it wrong). The electronics have taught me the truth about deer, and I would rather teach that to the next generation instead of the old wives' tales so often believed to be gospel and passed between hunters.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3261127 - 06/04/13 07:59 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: hitek7]
hitek7
6 Point

Loc: Eva, AL

Shoot what you want, dont matter to me. The ones that get me are the ones that keep telling me "We shoot about any buck we see because we do not ever see any big deer on our property...". That is is just not MY mentality.
#3261157 - 06/04/13 08:30 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: hitek7]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: hitek7
Shoot what you want, dont matter to me. The ones that get me are the ones that keep telling me "We shoot about any buck we see because we do not ever see any big deer on our property...". That is is just not MY mentality.

I agree completely hitek7. I want hunters to hunt they way that makes them happy and shoot what makes them happy (within the law and within sound biological principles). However, if you want to see and kill older bucks, you won't get there by shooting young bucks.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3262048 - 06/05/13 01:36 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: BSK]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

The problem comes when neighbors have conflicting goals of deer management. And it gets even worse if one or both of them has a relatively small plot of land. I can certainly see someone legitimatly saying "I shoot them all because there aren't any mature bucks" if he has a neighbor who shoots as many bucks as he can no matter the size. The 1st guy has such a small chance of being the one who gets an opportunity at a survivor buck that he shoots every 6 point that come along.

Back to the original post here. I personally don't like the way bucks have just become a number(B&C score). Competition to get the highest score has affected deer hunting so much that when a hunter shoots a really nice buck and is telling about it, he will start off by saying "it's a nice buck for around here". As if he needs to appologize for it only being a 135" buck. While I agree with BSK on the value of trail cameras, part of me wishes they had never been marketed and the mystery had remained with all it's errors. A lot of the magic left deer season when cameras came along. Regarding hunters treatment of each other - modern deer hunting marketing doesn't even try to pull any punches there. How often have you seen an add about "pulling the neighbors deer across the fence"??

Yes, we have gained a huge amount as far as deer numbers, size and age of bucks but there have been loses too. I still just see maybe 1 or 2 bucks a year that I have an opportunity to shoot but I see some kind of deer most of the times I hunt. In the late 1970's I never saw bucks. (AEDC has gone the opposit though. In the 70's or 80's you couldn't possibly hunt up there without seeing lots of does - now you see NOTHING.) I now have more of my own land so all-in-all I am better off now that say 25 years ago but I wish that old mystery and magic hadn't given way to such a pure technical mentality.

#3262621 - 06/06/13 08:25 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
While I agree with BSK on the value of trail cameras, part of me wishes they had never been marketed and the mystery had remained with all it's errors. A lot of the magic left deer season when cameras came along.

That is absolutely true. No more wondering if old mossyhorns was on your property.

#3262799 - 06/06/13 12:26 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: BSK
While I agree with BSK on the value of trail cameras, part of me wishes they had never been marketed and the mystery had remained with all it's errors. A lot of the magic left deer season when cameras came along.

That is absolutely true. No more wondering if old mossyhorns was on your property.
Hmmm,kind of the opposite for me,bucks I see or kill ,usually in Nov,are rarely on cam before,less than half the time for sure.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3262948 - 06/06/13 02:49 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: catman529]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
I dont see a problem,hunt like you want,dont worry about what anyone else does.
I sure would worry about what other people do, if it's inconsiderate or screws up the hunting... I don't want some lazy jack wagon following me into my hunting spot that I spent time and gas money to scout and hunt, for one thing...
ok,that makes sense,cant imagine someone following me/you in to a hunting spot,never experienced that,and hope not to.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3263322 - 06/07/13 08:26 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: BSK

Hmmm,kind of the opposite for me,bucks I see or kill ,usually in Nov,are rarely on cam before,less than half the time for sure.

Over the last 14 years, our data strongly suggest we photographed 97% of the bucks that used our property during deer season.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
135 registered (FLTENNHUNTER1, dewclaw, shelbydeer, Sniper23, chris1976, TNRifleman, 10 invisible) and 169 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94105 Topics
1099435 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.111 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.