Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3261457 - 06/04/13 04:08 PM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: pressfit]
pick-a-spot
Spike

Loc: Tennessee

Yea, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Can mean the difference between a 4hr sit and a 6hr sit.

#3261557 - 06/04/13 06:38 PM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: pick-a-spot]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

I go lighter during bow than durning firearm or MZ. Can usually get most of it in pockets. Bow, arrows, water bottle, pee bottle, range finder, scent away, release, gloves, mask, grunt call, video cam ( gettin a go pro for next season), maybe somethin to check a trail cam... I generally don't stay on stand even half a day during bow especially early bow, maybe till 10 am the in afternoon I'll get there 3 hrs before dark...

#3261850 - 06/05/13 08:11 AM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: Poser]
pick-a-spot
Spike

I am interested in your experiences using the quartering bags. I hunt in areas where dragging out a deer could prove daunting.
Have considered the possibility of quartering out the deer.
What is your procedure?

#3261865 - 06/05/13 08:41 AM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: pick-a-spot]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: pick-a-spot
I am interested in your experiences using the quartering bags. I hunt in areas where dragging out a deer could prove daunting.
Have considered the possibility of quartering out the deer.
What is your procedure?

This is the brand you want: http://alaskagamebags.com/
These are great. I use them for squirrel and rabbit hunting, too. I also carry one in my vest during turkey season in case I decide to pluck a bird out on the spot (great if your partner wants to keep hunting).

Theere is a brand of game bags that is popular at retailers, I can't recall the name, but Bass Pro carries them, and they suck! They don't stretch at all and they hold moisture.

-Anyway, I'll gut the deer (save the heart and liver)
-Flip the deer over to where it is laying on its stomach, back facing up towards the sky.
-Run the blade from the back of the head all the way down the spine and then start skinning "down" one side of the deer, removing the cuts as I go. After removing hew backstrap, I lay the deer on its side to work on the shoulder, ribs and hindquarters. The rear leg is where you need to the the most careful to avoid dirt and hair.
-As I remove each cut of meat, I place it in a game bag. (Since TN deer are small, you can easily fit multiple cuts in one bag. I might put backstraps, tenderloins and a shoulder in one bag. Hindquarter, ribs and neck in another.) The game bag will keep dirt off the meat if laying on the ground. It will also keep flies off (amazing, how fast flies can show up even on a cold November day).
-Then, I saw the neck off and flip the deer over and repeat the process on the other side. While I am working on the other side, I will often tie the two full game bags to a low hanging limb to get them off the ground and cool.
-The last thing I do is cut the tongue out.

Packing out:
I'll do my best to stuff the game bags in my backpack. I'll clip the contents of my pack to the loops on the outside. If it is a large deer or I have elected to bring the ribs out whole, I may tie two game bags together and drap them over the top of my backpack. -having some 550 cord and a couple of wire gate (lightweight) carabiners and a pack with plenty of gear loops gives you all kinds of options. Sometimes, you have to get creative.

What I leave in the woods:
Hide, hooves, and spine.
Sometimes, I bone out the rib meat on the spot, other times, I take the rib cage out in two pieces (Venison ribs = Yum. Right, Catman?) Everything else, comes out with me. I'll usually keep the head of a doe for evidence of sex (if needed, the new check system may make that obsolete, but I plan on roasting the doe heads whole this season, so Ill be taking them out anyway).

Working slow and meticulously, I'd say this process take me 45-60 minutes, though I have done small does in as fast as 30 minutes. I'm sure this process can be done faster, though I've never felt the need to rush it and I don't necessarily have a codified system for skinning and butchering -I will often try new techniques, different ways and different orders of things.

Advantages: I have seen guys struggle to haul a deer out of the woods, even on a cart, only to butcher the deer at their truck, or take them home and butcher them. You are going to butcher the deer anyway, unless its relatively easy to get them out of the woods, why not do it on the spot?

Flies out on a chilly November morning in Tennessee.

Deboning a backstrap on the ground.

Edited by Poser (06/05/13 08:51 AM)

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3261870 - 06/05/13 08:51 AM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: Poleaxe]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

my cz 452 rifle
a cold dew
a sharp knife
a long enough stick for the feet of 10 squirrels

#3261875 - 06/05/13 08:54 AM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood
my cz 452 rifle
a cold dew
a sharp knife
a long enough stick for the feet of 10 squirrels

I skin squirrels on the spot and stick them in a game bag, too. A squirrel is far easier to skin while their bodies are still warm and before rigor sets in.

#3261885 - 06/05/13 09:06 AM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: Poser]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Thermacel, frozen bottle of water, face paint, screw in hooks, toilet paper, wind detector (cotton tail), phone. All fits in pockets

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3263621 - 06/07/13 05:37 PM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: Poser]
pick-a-spot
Spike

Thanks for taking the time to share this great information.
I just ordered a set of game bags.

#3263697 - 06/07/13 07:30 PM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: Poleaxe]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
 Originally Posted By: Poleaxe
Tiny spray bottle of vanilla

What is that for?

Originally Posted By: Poser
The last thing I do is cut the tongue out.

tacos de lengua?

I'll usually keep the head of a doe for evidence of sex (if needed, the new check system may make that obsolete, but I plan on roasting the doe heads whole this season, so Ill be taking them out anyway).

Dude, seriously over the top!

#3263871 - 06/08/13 07:55 AM Re: What do you take into the archery season woods ? [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93

The last thing I do is cut the tongue out.

tacos de lengua?

I'll usually keep the head of a doe for evidence of sex (if needed, the new check system may make that obsolete, but I plan on roasting the doe heads whole this season, so Ill be taking them out anyway).

Dude, seriously over the top!

With the tongues, I'll either do tacos or just braise them until tender, slice thin and serve as a appetizer or on a bed of greens. Seriously good eating.

For the roasted head, I have not tried it yet, but apparently it was popular amongst the frontiersmen. The modern adaptation has you building a fire, rubbing salt onto the (skinned) deer head, wrapping in foil, and then wrapping in a wet towel, cloth, burlap sack, etc. Bury the head in the coals for a few hours until the meat is falling off the head.

Think about it: Kill a deer, build a fire, invite your friends over, pull a roasted head out of the fire. Pretty awesome presentation, eh? \:\)
You can also the the same with an entire neck, or even do the head and neck together

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
123 registered (Snake, Outdoor Enthusiast, giantbabyfern, Sting, Truedouble, luke, 13 invisible) and 141 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95797 Topics
1121580 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.069 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.