Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3258567 - 05/31/13 10:01 AM Deer hunting?
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

Just wondering if anyone else out there feels the same as me? With all the hype the past several years about killing the "biggest" buck around, does anyone remember what deer hunting used to be. Used to be family and/or friends getting together to spend some time in the woods relaxing, trying put some food in the freezer, tracking, reading sign, hunting with any legal weapon allowed for that season, and passing on a love of the outdoors to the next generation. Both old and young had a respect for the land and most importantly, respect for each other as Gods children. Has that been lost forever? We now have trail cameras, GPS, food plots, almost no public hunting land compared to times past, we don't talk to strangers in the woods or the check station cause they might get our spot, we take someone else's spot cause we are to lazy to find our own, we teach the next generation that the size of the horns are more important than the experience or putting food in the freezer, we say someone is cheating if they use a new type of weapon, we forget that not everyone has the money or land to build the dream spot, and down someone for taking a spike for the freezer instead of letting it walk to grow up. Now don't get me wrong, but my heart just about jumps out of my chest when a nice buck comes thru, but I also get the same feeling when a yearling walks by. When I no longer feel the same no matter what comes by then I will be done. So I ask that if you have taken the time to read this, try to understand my point. Take some of your time to pass on the true meaning of hunting without all the gadgets, money , and the size of the horns matter attitude to so that the next generation will grow up knowing that the outdoors is a wonderful place, a place to learn and not just a place to get a good pic for facebook.
#3258598 - 05/31/13 11:10 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Grill-n-man]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

I dont see a problem,hunt like you want,dont worry about what anyone else does.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3258713 - 05/31/13 01:29 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Football Hunter]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

x2 I think parents are doing a good job of passing it down.

#3258810 - 05/31/13 04:53 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: deerhunter10]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

To each his own.... I agree it's should be more about the experience, but whether you are a trophy hunter or a meat hunter is your own buisness..

#3258953 - 05/31/13 08:57 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: BHC]
Matador
10 Point

Loc: Rockwood,Tn.

I remember. I killed my first buck in Rhea County in 1981. Yeah its changed a lot.
#3259031 - 05/31/13 10:58 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Grill-n-man]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: wilkey
Just wondering if anyone else out there feels the same as me? With all the hype the past several years about killing the "biggest" buck around, does anyone remember what deer hunting used to be. Used to be family and/or friends getting together to spend some time in the woods relaxing, trying put some food in the freezer, tracking, reading sign, hunting with any legal weapon allowed for that season, and passing on a love of the outdoors to the next generation. Both old and young had a respect for the land and most importantly, respect for each other as Gods children. Has that been lost forever? We now have trail cameras, GPS, food plots, almost no public hunting land compared to times past, we don't talk to strangers in the woods or the check station cause they might get our spot, we take someone else's spot cause we are to lazy to find our own, we teach the next generation that the size of the horns are more important than the experience or putting food in the freezer, we say someone is cheating if they use a new type of weapon, we forget that not everyone has the money or land to build the dream spot, and down someone for taking a spike for the freezer instead of letting it walk to grow up. Now don't get me wrong, but my heart just about jumps out of my chest when a nice buck comes thru, but I also get the same feeling when a yearling walks by. When I no longer feel the same no matter what comes by then I will be done. So I ask that if you have taken the time to read this, try to understand my point. Take some of your time to pass on the true meaning of hunting without all the gadgets, money , and the size of the horns matter attitude to so that the next generation will grow up knowing that the outdoors is a wonderful place, a place to learn and not just a place to get a good pic for facebook.
I have only been hunting since 2010 but I like what you are saying and I enjoy deer hunting for what it is and not just to get the big old mossy horns. Yes a big buck will get me more excited than most other deer but then I get excited shooting a fawn in my backyard and will hunt with whatever weapon legal too even though I prefer the bow. Wish I could have hunted back when you say it was good like that, but I can't say I don't enjoy it now.

...since last deer season

#3259036 - 05/31/13 11:01 PM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
I sure would worry about what other people do, if it's inconsiderate or screws up the hunting... I don't want some lazy jack wagon following me into my hunting spot that I spent time and gas money to scout and hunt, for one thing...

...since last deer season

#3259138 - 06/01/13 08:40 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: Grill-n-man]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: wilkey
...Used to be family and/or friends getting together to spend some time in the woods relaxing, trying put some food in the freezer, tracking, reading sign, hunting with any legal weapon allowed for that season, and passing on a love of the outdoors to the next generation...

I think you can still have both. For me, hunting is about hunting with my family, relaxing, and recreating, as well as passing on hunting to the next generation. However, we also use the best science available in an attempt to manage our local deer herd as wisely as possible. Often this means selecting certain deer for harvest while protecting other deer. We are interested in older, larger bucks, but certainly not trophy bucks or only mature bucks. We now have a MUCH healthier and more socially balanced deer herd than during the "good old days" of shooting anything with antlers, and we are having more fun than ever.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3260398 - 06/03/13 09:22 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: BSK]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

I often find myself thinking about the seasons from long ago. I remember back in the mid seventys sitting in class at high school just dreaming about taking my first buck. It happened on Nov. 19,1977, 8:10 am in Medon,tn. A small basket rack 8 that dressed 107 lbs. Me and my friends hunted every chance we got, camping out on the weekends, had a ball. Any buck was a trophy. In a way, those where the good old days, but even now they seem good. I did progress to the stage of wanting to take a huge big racked deer, and to be honest, it did take some of the fun out for me. Many dream of a big trophy deer like you see on the TV shows or magazines, but be careful what you wish for. Once you do take one, it can change things big time. You will find yourself sitting in a stand, wondering what you are doing, knowing the odds of it happening again are very slim. Especially here in the southern states. Its great to be able to achieve taking a big deer, I finally did, but its easy to lose site of what its really all about. I still will pass lots of deer, but not because Im hunting for a big deer, mainly for management. We take a few to eat, but get so much enjoyment out of taking kids, and friends and watching them. They can take what they want. I have my own farm now with a nice hunting camp, and just like being in the woods, much like years ago. I guess its come full circle for me. Its all in how a person looks at it.

Edited by tickweed (06/03/13 09:33 AM)

#3260455 - 06/03/13 10:31 AM Re: Deer hunting? [Re: tickweed]
hitek7
6 Point

Loc: Eva, AL

First off let me say I do not choose not to shoot the smaller bucks I see but will allow the younger generation or new hunter to shoot one. Our lease if basically a family oriented lease with me, my brother, and my dad. We have fun every time we go eventhough we choose to wait on larger or more mature deer. To us, it is not all about the killing. It is the time with family and the outdoors. If we want meat, we choose to shoot the does and leave the bucks to grow. If we are passing bucks, we carry a kid to possibly get a shot at them. If we shot them, they would not be there for the younger generation. There are varying opinions on this matter and alot of it depends on the area you hunt. We typically see deer on 90% of our hunts. Too me, that makes it easier to let deer walk because if I am seeing them, I am happy. Shoot everyone you see and you will not see them very often.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (bigluresonly, lung-buster, Fearless, JAY B, Eric Kilby, MidTennFisher, 2 invisible) and 124 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90777 Topics
1060032 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.234 seconds in which 0.018 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.