Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3258601 - 05/31/13 11:12 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: TENN.BOY]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: TENN.BOY
Thanks, you have answered the question for this whole topic !!!!!! I have one more ? The 2:1 buck to doe ratio is that state wide ?
Not BSK,but NO!

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3258636 - 05/31/13 11:44 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Football Hunter]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Tazewell

I am very satisfied, if I weren't ...well I know where the state line is.

#3258711 - 05/31/13 01:24 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I think it has all to do with there one buck a season and their season in general.

If that is the case, then why do TN hunters, year in and year out, kill more mature bucks per square mile than KY hunters?

I'm not saying KY's 1 buck limit is doing any harm, but it obviously isn't helping hunters kill more mature bucks.

that's interesting I didn't know that but is that taking in consideration the amount of hunters that hunt? it seems like to me even though Kentucky is getting on the map for big deer they still don't seem to have the amount of hunters we do. and plus it makes sense that tn kills more mature deer we have a 3 buck limit they only have one. I know people that have tagged out one 3 mature deer a year I personally have never done that. I trust your statistics but I wonder if they took all of the information that they could had takin into that statistic. just wondering if you have any info about that.

deerhunter10,

The disparity in mature buck harvest is simply a matter of how long hunters are allowed to hunt with a firearm, not the number of hunters (which is similar between the two states). TN has a much longer combined MZ and rifle season than KY, hence more mature bucks (and more bucks total) are killed in TN than in KY.

Is your opinion about the number of hunters in KY from personal experience? I ask because most top areas of KY are absolutely crawling with hunters, and lease prices are through the roof. In TN I've never seen the type of orange army that invades KY's gun seasons. Gun season is a war zone up there.

yes a little personally opinion and from hearing from others. but I haven't ever been up there in their firearm season so you are probably correct there. it may just seem like it especially in bow season. but thank you on the information it makes sense why tn kills more mature bucks then ky.

#3258719 - 05/31/13 01:40 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

I think it has all to do with there one buck a season and their season in general.

If that is the case, then why do TN hunters, year in and year out, kill more mature bucks per square mile than KY hunters?

I'm not saying KY's 1 buck limit is doing any harm, but it obviously isn't helping hunters kill more mature bucks.

that's interesting I didn't know that but is that taking in consideration the amount of hunters that hunt? it seems like to me even though Kentucky is getting on the map for big deer they still don't seem to have the amount of hunters we do. and plus it makes sense that tn kills more mature deer we have a 3 buck limit they only have one. I know people that have tagged out one 3 mature deer a year I personally have never done that. I trust your statistics but I wonder if they took all of the information that they could had takin into that statistic. just wondering if you have any info about that.

deerhunter10,

The disparity in mature buck harvest is simply a matter of how long hunters are allowed to hunt with a firearm, not the number of hunters (which is similar between the two states). TN has a much longer combined MZ and rifle season than KY, hence more mature bucks (and more bucks total) are killed in TN than in KY.

Is your opinion about the number of hunters in KY from personal experience? I ask because most top areas of KY are absolutely crawling with hunters, and lease prices are through the roof. In TN I've never seen the type of orange army that invades KY's gun seasons. Gun season is a war zone up there.
What you say makes sense,but....to plat Devils Advocate,when is the last time you were in Ky on opening day to see the "orange army"or on public land in Tn on opening day,to see the "orange army'?Not as different as you think.

Also,to continue with Devils Advocate thing,since you say we kill more "mature" bucks than Ky,because of Tn's much longer "gun" season,wouldnt a shorter gun season here produce a better oppurtunity for an older agr class buck,or even one with bigger antlers in the years to come?

Asuming that was a hunters or TWRAs goal?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3258836 - 05/31/13 05:42 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: TENN.BOY]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Thanks, you have answered the question for this whole topic !!!!!! I have one more ? The 2:1 buck to doe ratio is that state wide ?

Absolutely not. I have a very skewed LOCAL sex ratio due to two factors: 1) years of pounding does without mercy while protecting bucks; and 2) several years in a row of bad fawn production. Young female deer generally don't disperse as far from their birth range as young males do, hence poor fawn production locally has greatly reduced the number of new young does and bucks being produced locally, yet young males continue to move in from distant locations, producing a large disparity in males.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3258909 - 05/31/13 07:58 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: TENN.BOY]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

Why does anyone need to shoot more than 1 buck a yr ? if we want to fill our freezers lay the does down,and hold off for that big mature buck when he comes sneakin threw trying to find a doe to court for a few days.
because its their right to shoot more than one.not everyone is trophy hunters

#3258927 - 05/31/13 08:22 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Poser]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: Poser
Why does anyone need to shoot more than 1 buck a yr ?

Why does anyone need to go hunting in the first place? You can buy meat at the store and antlers from deer farms.
Bingo! \:D

#3258930 - 05/31/13 08:25 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Absolutely not. I have a very skewed LOCAL sex ratio due to two factors: 1) years of pounding does without mercy while protecting bucks; and 2) several years in a row of bad fawn production. Young female deer generally don't disperse as far from their birth range as young males do, hence poor fawn production locally has greatly reduced the number of new young does and bucks being produced locally, yet young males continue to move in from distant locations, producing a large disparity in males.
I have heard somewhere before that is a near perfect buck to doe ratio. Seems to me though if you don't have many does on your property will the bucks leave looking for more tail?

#3258973 - 05/31/13 09:10 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: timberjack86]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

No, apparently deer do not have a "grass is greener on the other side type of mentality"...

#3259148 - 06/01/13 08:54 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: timberjack86]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: timberjack86

I have heard somewhere before that is a near perfect buck to doe ratio. Seems to me though if you don't have many does on your property will the bucks leave looking for more tail?

No, far more bucks than does is a bad thing, just as far more does than bucks is a bad thing. The "perfect" adult sex ratio is the sex ratio Nature creates, which is around 1.2 to 1.4 adult does per adult buck (although deer are born at equal ratio of males to females, more males die from natural causes, hence a natural sex ratio will favor females).

And no, bucks will not leave an area because there is a lot of competition between bucks. Deer have no imagination (no animal but humans do), therefore they cannot imagine a better situation somewhere else and go looking for it. Bucks will simply deal with whatever situation they find themselves in, whether that's lots of does or few does. Now bucks DO have some desire to "wander" built into them genetically, but typically just as many bucks will wander into an area of low doe numbers as wander out of the area.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (dcsoldier44) and 50 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.