Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 9 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3258025 - 05/30/13 01:46 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

It's interesting to read what the KY locals think about this article (not surprising). You can read more here: http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/sh...ophy-buck-state

#3258028 - 05/30/13 01:57 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Andy S.]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

It appears KDFWR is admitting they do indeed manage for trophy whitetails and will not miss the chance to toot their own horn about it.

"Years ago, hunters were allowed to take two bucks per year," Marraccini said. "That changed when the department decided to manage for a trophy system."

The Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will likely tout its No. 1 ranking, Marraccini said.

"I imagine we'll mention it some," he said.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/05/23/2651531/kentucky-touted-as-no-1-state.html#storylink=cpy

#3258262 - 05/30/13 07:07 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I think it has all to do with there one buck a season and their season in general.

If that is the case, then why do TN hunters, year in and year out, kill more mature bucks per square mile than KY hunters?

I'm not saying KY's 1 buck limit is doing any harm, but it obviously isn't helping hunters kill more mature bucks.

that's interesting I didn't know that but is that taking in consideration the amount of hunters that hunt? it seems like to me even though Kentucky is getting on the map for big deer they still don't seem to have the amount of hunters we do. and plus it makes sense that tn kills more mature deer we have a 3 buck limit they only have one. I know people that have tagged out one 3 mature deer a year I personally have never done that. I trust your statistics but I wonder if they took all of the information that they could had takin into that statistic. just wondering if you have any info about that.

#3258318 - 05/30/13 08:18 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Buzzard Breath]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

I have also been given permission to hunt several small tracts in Ky by just asking. I really don't even ask any more around Franklin and Murfreesboro. I do belive a lot of the guys that shoot small bucks in TN because of a 3 buck limit don't have any issues with shooting 2 or 3 small buck, why would they. Its legal and TN kills so many mature deer we must be over run with them so lets raise the limit to 4 bucks and thin them out.
#3258416 - 05/30/13 11:04 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: jar]
TENN.BOY
4 Point

Loc: Halls

Does any one in this conversation think that tenn. will ever be considered a state for trophy bucks,do we have the quality of bucks here now or in the near future to draw non-residents to the state of tenn.and pay $300 for license to hunt? If so please fill my arrogant attitude in on how it is goin to happen.Do we need more bigger and better crops or is it the buck limit,give me some advise on how i can help our state.If i need to stack them like fire wood i will or go for 1 per yr. IM ALL EARS !!!!!!!!!
#3258424 - 05/31/13 12:00 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: TENN.BOY]
stik
TnDeer Old Timer
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: TENN.BOY
Does any one in this conversation think that tenn. will ever be considered a state for trophy bucks,do we have the quality of bucks here now or in the near future to draw non-residents to the state of tenn.and pay $300 for license to hunt?

i certainly hope not.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3258441 - 05/31/13 07:42 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: stik]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: stik
i certainly hope not.
x 1,000,000

#3258446 - 05/31/13 07:46 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
I think it has all to do with there one buck a season and their season in general.

If that is the case, then why do TN hunters, year in and year out, kill more mature bucks per square mile than KY hunters?

I'm not saying KY's 1 buck limit is doing any harm, but it obviously isn't helping hunters kill more mature bucks.

that's interesting I didn't know that but is that taking in consideration the amount of hunters that hunt? it seems like to me even though Kentucky is getting on the map for big deer they still don't seem to have the amount of hunters we do. and plus it makes sense that tn kills more mature deer we have a 3 buck limit they only have one. I know people that have tagged out one 3 mature deer a year I personally have never done that. I trust your statistics but I wonder if they took all of the information that they could had takin into that statistic. just wondering if you have any info about that.

deerhunter10,

The disparity in mature buck harvest is simply a matter of how long hunters are allowed to hunt with a firearm, not the number of hunters (which is similar between the two states). TN has a much longer combined MZ and rifle season than KY, hence more mature bucks (and more bucks total) are killed in TN than in KY.

Is your opinion about the number of hunters in KY from personal experience? I ask because most top areas of KY are absolutely crawling with hunters, and lease prices are through the roof. In TN I've never seen the type of orange army that invades KY's gun seasons. Gun season is a war zone up there.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3258457 - 05/31/13 07:57 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: TENN.BOY]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: TENN.BOY
Does any one in this conversation think that tenn. will ever be considered a state for trophy bucks...

Trophy bucks? No. TN doesn't have the habitat to grow a lot of trophy bucks (large antlered bucks). But it certainly can (and does) grow a lot of mature bucks.

Quote:
...do we have the quality of bucks here now or in the near future to draw non-residents to the state of tenn.and pay $300 for license to hunt?

Only from areas farther South than TN, where habitat quality is even poorer than in much of TN, such as Florida and parts of Alabama. But TN is never going to be a "trophy" state due to much lower antler growth potential compared to the Midwestern States (including KY), even on mature bucks. In many parts of TN, mature bucks only average antlers in the 110-125 gross range. Most trophy hunters would not be interested in antlers of that size.

Quote:
If so please fill my arrogant attitude in on how it is goin to happen.

You're assuming hunters WANT TN to be a trophy state, where the best land gets leased up by out-of-state outfitters. I certainly do not want that.

Quote:
...give me some advise on how i can help our state.

Help TN become a trophy state? You can't. It doesn't have the soil or habitat resources (outside of a few areas) to produce the shear number of trophy bucks as the Midwest. If you are a trophy hunter, I recommend you hunt one of the trophy states in the agricultural Midwest.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3258542 - 05/31/13 09:24 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
TENN.BOY
4 Point

Loc: Halls

Thanks, you have answered the question for this whole topic !!!!!! I have one more ? The 2:1 buck to doe ratio is that state wide ?
Page 4 of 9 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (slagtown_dfa, Mike Belt, Cumberlandriver, TheRealSpurhunter, chrmayo, morgancountry, 16 invisible) and 148 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85075 Topics
1028003 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.223 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.