Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3257289 - 05/29/13 03:28 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Poser]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: TENN.BOY
Why does anyone need to shoot more than 1 buck a yr ?

Why does anyone need to go hunting in the first place? You can buy meat at the store and antlers from deer farms.

Why doesn't a frog have wings?

#3257506 - 05/29/13 08:29 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Wes Parrish]
TENN.BOY
4 Point

Loc: Halls

Im not taking up for KY being top ranked state for trophy hunting , BSK it is not a matter of hunting mature bucks to the majority of hunters its about horn hunting to them,its how many people that kill 3 bucks a year and dont wait on a mature buck to walk by,but it is a free country guys shoot every little buck you want too and go to work on monday and brag about shooting a spike or a 3pnt. around the water cooler because that is your right to do so.Keep on keepin on CHOOT'EM CHOOT'EM
#3257514 - 05/29/13 08:37 PM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: BowGuy84
KY is great hunting. I won't deny that. IMO the potential for a PY deer is significantly higher than TN. However, I think the ceiling or # of true top end deer (say 160 plus) is way below that of a lot of the rest of the mid west.

If that is the case, why is KY now the #1 state in the nation for B&C entries?

Again, anecdotal, but

1 a lot of short term book deer (160") in KY get entered where they don't in other states. Maybe a higher percentage of 170" deer as well.

2 KY allows centerfires...and in the rut (I attribute some of MO recent uprising to this as well). A lot of bucks are not able to be shot in other states due to distance restraints at bucks most valnerable time.

3 due to a higher percentage of rugged habitat that many midwest states, KY might produce more older age class bucks with 170" antlers, but still not the top end higher scoring bucks as states with more ag and better soils.

#3257703 - 05/30/13 05:52 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: mike243]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

Originally Posted By: mike243
go lease some ky property & then price some here,folks still will let a fellar hunt some,not so much in the Big Buck states,Im proud they have the title & the deer,I care nothing about fame ,just want to have a hunt thats enjoyable,no monsters here, look north lol
I have found that it is easier to find free land in KY to hunt. could be just my luck but I have got permission to hunt around 3000 acres all together for free just by knocking on doors. I can not find anything for free in TN.

#3257766 - 05/30/13 07:44 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: Winchester]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
...it was touted to no end how useless KY data was and couldn't be trusted!!! LOL What changed???? Agendas??? ;\)

Two factors: 1) KY's data collection is better now than it used to be; and 2) previous concerns that the two states' different data collection methods produced incomparable data have been alleviated by comparison tests of the two systems (tests of data collected at processors (KY's main method) versus data collected at check stations (TN's main method) have found the two data collect methods produce comparable data).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3257776 - 05/30/13 08:02 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BowGuy84]
BSK
Non-Typical

3 due to a higher percentage of rugged habitat that many midwest states, KY might produce more older age class bucks with 170" antlers, but still not the top end higher scoring bucks as states with more ag and better soils.

It's the age-old question BowGuy84: which is more important; what is in the herd or what is harvested? I have no data what-so-ever on how many 170+ or 200+ bucks there are per square mile in the agricultural Midwest versus KY, and there very well may be more in the Midwest, but more of those caliber bucks get harvested each year in KY. So which is more important, where more exist or where they are most harvestable? I would think trophy hunters would want to hunt where their odds are the highest--where those bucks are most harvestable (although I'm constantly amazed at how often trophy hunters will prefer two birds in the bush over one in the hand).

This whole question is very similar to the comparisons in mature bucks between KY and TN. Given hunter harvest numbers versus population, I can't imagine how the buck age structure isn't better in KY than TN. If the population and harvest numbers are right, KY simply has to have a better buck age structure. Yet TN hunters--due to our longer firearms seasons--consistently kill more mature bucks than KY hunters. So which is more important, having more or consistently killing more year after year?

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3257781 - 05/30/13 08:03 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: mathews338]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: mathews338
I have found that it is easier to find free land in KY to hunt. could be just my luck but I have got permission to hunt around 3000 acres all together for free just by knocking on doors. I can not find anything for free in TN.

That's interesting matthews338.

#3257786 - 05/30/13 08:07 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: TENN.BOY]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: TENN.BOY
Im not taking up for KY being top ranked state for trophy hunting , BSK it is not a matter of hunting mature bucks to the majority of hunters its about horn hunting to them,its how many people that kill 3 bucks a year and dont wait on a mature buck to walk by,but it is a free country guys shoot every little buck you want too and go to work on monday and brag about shooting a spike or a 3pnt. around the water cooler because that is your right to do so.Keep on keepin on CHOOT'EM CHOOT'EM

I have to laugh every time I read a post like the one above. Why is it that some hunters believe that everyone who does not hunt strictly for mature bucks is shooting every buck they see?

Unfortunately, it is arrogant attitudes like the one displayed above that do great harm to conscientious trophy hunters and those who manage and hunt wisely but are not mature-only buck hunters.

#3257876 - 05/30/13 09:56 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

It's the age-old question BowGuy84: which is more important; what is in the herd or what is harvested? I have no data what-so-ever on how many 170+ or 200+ bucks there are per square mile in the agricultural Midwest versus KY, and there very well may be more in the Midwest, but more of those caliber bucks get harvested each year in KY. So which is more important, where more exist or where they are most harvestable? I would think trophy hunters would want to hunt where their odds are the highest--where those bucks are most harvestable (although I'm constantly amazed at how often trophy hunters will prefer two birds in the bush over one in the hand).

This whole question is very similar to the comparisons in mature bucks between KY and TN. Given hunter harvest numbers versus population, I can't imagine how the buck age structure isn't better in KY than TN. If the population and harvest numbers are right, KY simply has to have a better buck age structure. Yet TN hunters--due to our longer firearms seasons--consistently kill more mature bucks than KY hunters. So which is more important, having more or consistently killing more year after year?

I hear you BSK...but your "easier to kill" is based on reported data. I argue that many other states don't report a lot of the low end book bucks. Heck, several of the top counties in KY don't either...at least not the locals bc they have seen what it brings.

Also, the easier is dependent on 2 primary factors...1) are you willing and wanting to gun hunt (how most of the big deer are killed...or over bait but we won't broach that subject) and 2)where are you willing to hunt. The primo ground in KY is still tougher to hunt than a lot of land in the midwest (more topography and less deer density). It is also really hard to get access to.

I'll be the first to admit I love going to IN to hunt and walking that flat ground and seeing 30 deer a day and usually a shooter or 2. It's not like that in the majority of KY.

#3257891 - 05/30/13 10:11 AM Re: KY ranked as top Trophy Whitetail state [Re: BSK]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Originally Posted By: mathews338

That's interesting matthews338.

I have found the same thing with Ohio. It's much easier to find private land that they'll let you hunt for free. I think leasing has been so common in TN that it has become the norm.

Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
114 registered (RodBone75, huntinkev, SKFOOTER, Dbllunger, WRbowhunter, fatboy, 12 invisible) and 166 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85612 Topics
1034489 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.248 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.