Topic Options
#3257478 - 05/29/13 07:59 PM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: mike243]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: mike243
man I aint had lard fried chicken forever,looks like a trip to the store is in the works,just 1 time a year I promise \:\) ,

Its actually healthy for you. 50 years of propaganda had us eating margarine, vegetable oil and other artificial fats. The junk science behind such claims have come undone in the last few years. Fat from lard is mostly monounsaturated, which is healthier than saturated fat. And even the saturated fat in lard has a neutral effect on blood cholesterol. lard also has a higher smoking point than other fats, allowing foods like chicken to absorb less grease when fried in it.

Eat like your grandparents, not like your parents.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3257658 - 05/30/13 12:53 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

If your oil/lard is at the proper cooking temperature absorption into any food you cool is minimized. That is unless you cook all the moisture out of it, then that moisture will be replaced with oil.

My wife makes the best fried chicken on the planet. She uses cast iron and lard.

#3257670 - 05/30/13 01:59 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: BamaProud]
longnosedoe
4 Point

Loc: tn

Olive Oil is the healthier oil by far and thats what I want my chicken fried in. Lard is almost equally saturated fat as it is in monounsaturated fat. Can't really see the health benefit.
#3257672 - 05/30/13 04:17 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: longnosedoe]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

been using the olive oil for a long time,low burn temps makes it a chalenge to keep at correct temp so it dosent soak in or burn lol

#3257690 - 05/30/13 05:22 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: mike243]
longnosedoe
4 Point

Loc: tn

I agree. Seem like you have to babysit it alot more than normal.
#3257714 - 05/30/13 06:07 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: Poser]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

Other than killing your own hogs and rendering the lard where can you get unhydrogenated lard?

Originally Posted By: Poser
man I aint had lard fried chicken forever,looks like a trip to the store is in the works,just 1 time a year I promise \:\) ,

Its actually healthy for you. 50 years of propaganda had us eating margarine, vegetable oil and other artificial fats. The junk science behind such claims have come undone in the last few years. Fat from lard is mostly monounsaturated, which is healthier than saturated fat. And even the saturated fat in lard has a neutral effect on blood cholesterol. lard also has a higher smoking point than other fats, allowing foods like chicken to absorb less grease when fried in it.

#3257748 - 05/30/13 07:25 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: Hawk]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hawk
Other than killing your own hogs and rendering the lard where can you get unhydrogenated lard?

Originally Posted By: Poser

I get it from Neumann Farms at the farmers market.

#3257756 - 05/30/13 07:35 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: Poser]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

I use peanut oil. Very high burn temp and can be stored for years. I've got some that is over 5 years old and still being used.

#3257771 - 05/30/13 07:55 AM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: longnosedoe]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: longnosedoe
Olive Oil is the healthier oil by far and thats what I want my chicken fried in. Lard is almost equally saturated fat as it is in monounsaturated fat. Can't really see the health benefit.

Unhydrogenated lard is only 40% saturated fat (butter is 54%). Unprocessed lard typically is made up of about 45 percent monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart healthy. Furthermore, the scientific opinions have changed significantly on saturated fats in recent years. A peer reviewed study by Advances in Nutrition has basically exonerated saturated fat from the health claims of the last 50 years: http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/3/294.long

Saturated fats are benign with regard to inflammatory effects, as are the MUFAs. The meager effect that saturated fats have on serum cholesterol levels when modest but adequate amounts of polyunsaturated oils are included in the diet, and the lack of any clear evidence that saturated fats are promoting any of the conditions that can be attributed to PUFA makes one wonder how saturated fats got such a bad reputation in the health literature. The influence of dietary fats on serum cholesterol has been overstated, and a physiological mechanism for saturated fats causing heart disease is still missing.

That's not to say that lard is "healthier" than olive oil, however, eating lard on a regular timetable is perfectly acceptable, even healthy for you. I use olive oil quite a bit in cooking. In the case of fried chicken, there is no question to me, though. Olive oil is not at all well suited for frying chicken, both in burn temperature and in taste. I have come to use lard in place of most situation where people normally use vegetable oil and other hydrogenated oil. I probably cook with lard 3 times a month, which is very reasonable.

Edited by Poser (05/30/13 08:18 AM)

#3258272 - 05/30/13 07:17 PM Re: Oven fried chicken..... [Re: Poser]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

I'm going to cook 2-3 chickens this weekend, hope the others have something they want to eat lol

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (dixieoutdoors, hannibal, DocT, ETNyates, jb3, Zulu, 10 invisible) and 157 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92928 Topics
1085897 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.196 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.