Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3255466 - 05/27/13 12:41 AM Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day
JRA
Spike

Loc: Hendersonville, TN

any advice, tips, recipes?

It does not have the skin on...

I'm planning on injecting, wrapping in bacon and slow smoking with applewood at about 225 degrees.

Any guess on how long I should let it smoke?

#3255470 - 05/27/13 01:08 AM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: JRA]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Injecting: just say no.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3255479 - 05/27/13 05:32 AM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: Poser]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

4-5 hrs it will be tuff in the legs prob

#3255559 - 05/27/13 08:16 AM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: mike243]
JRA
Spike

unfortunately I didn't plan very well and it's too late to give it a full brine
#3255605 - 05/27/13 09:38 AM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: JRA]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

good luck. seems like it will be tough, no pun intended

#3255692 - 05/27/13 12:21 PM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: redblood]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

What do you do to make it not tough??

#3255712 - 05/27/13 01:19 PM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: diamond hunter]
backstraps
12 Point

Loc: NE Tennessee

Not sure how many lbs your bird is....

But I done one without skin. I injected it with Motts apple juice. Then I added half water and half apple juice to my smoker pan. I soaked some apple wood chips for about 2 hours.

I smoked on 225 for 6.5 hours.

Every hour I would add just a little (half a hand full of chips) and I would use a spritz bottle and spray the outside of the turkey with cherry dr pepper.

The turkey caramelized great on the outside.

When I poked a probe to check internal temp, it sprayed juice out on me! ABSOLUTELY GREAT! Not tough at all, and was one of the most juicy turkeys I have ever ate!

Good luck

Edited by backstraps (05/27/13 01:20 PM)

#3256346 - 05/28/13 10:47 AM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: backstraps]
JRA
Spike

As I said before, I had a skinless wild turkey breast. Here is what I did and how it went.

--Completely wrapped it in a bacon weave
--Injected with chicken broth, butter, apple juice, and my rib rub
--put it on the smoker at about 200 to 225 for 2 hours
--took an aluminum pan and put some of the leftover injection juice and apple juice in the bottom of the pan...sat the turkey in the pan and covered the top with foil.
--cooked another hour...bumped the heat up some.

when it was finished there was a nice smoke ring, the flavor was good, the turkey was moist.......but.....

As so many have said, the meat was a little tough. I found it odd that I had good moisture in the meat (not dry) but it was still a little tough.

Overall not a bad experience but I probably won't smoke wild turkey breast again unless I am throwing it on the smoker with something else...a lot of effort for something that didn't turn out ideal.

My kids LOVED it and my wife was pleased...so I guess that's all that matters.

#3256363 - 05/28/13 11:11 AM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: JRA]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Whole wild turkeys are not easy to do. I don't recommend it. You can smoke parts of it, but your cooking time for the legs is going to be significantly longer than the breast.

I do not agree at all with the practice of injecting meat. A brine is the way to go, better achieves the same goal without having to stab holes in the meat where you will lose a portion of the moisture you inject. There are some aspects of brining that must be given proper attention. For example, you should allow any brined meat to "rest" for, depending on the size, 30 minutes to 24 hours after removing from the brine.

I also do not like the idea of wrapping turkey with bacon as the pork fat, especially in the quantity produced by covering a 15 lbs bird is too dominate of a flavor for turkey meat. In my opinion, your best bet for smoking wild turkey is to pluck the bird, remove the breasts with the skin on, brine the breasts with a measured solution until the meat has reached buoyancy with the brine solution, rest the meat for several hours and then smoke. While bacon wrapped wild turkey can taste good, you are not left with a product that tastes much like wild turkey. That may not be your goal, but if it is, wrapping in bacon is not the best means to that particular end.

Opinions vary, that is mine.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3256792 - 05/28/13 10:25 PM Re: Smoking a wild turkey breast on Memorial Day [Re: JRA]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: JRA
As I said before, I had a skinless wild turkey breast. Here is what I did and how it went.

--Completely wrapped it in a bacon weave
--Injected with chicken broth, butter, apple juice, and my rib rub
--put it on the smoker at about 200 to 225 for 2 hours
--took an aluminum pan and put some of the leftover injection juice and apple juice in the bottom of the pan...sat the turkey in the pan and covered the top with foil.
--cooked another hour...bumped the heat up some.

when it was finished there was a nice smoke ring, the flavor was good, the turkey was moist.......but.....

As so many have said, the meat was a little tough. I found it odd that I had good moisture in the meat (not dry) but it was still a little tough.

Overall not a bad experience but I probably won't smoke wild turkey breast again unless I am throwing it on the smoker with something else...a lot of effort for something that didn't turn out ideal.

My kids LOVED it and my wife was pleased...so I guess that's all that matters.

absolutely.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (Pintail, John3, Bow Hunter, mimitk, in the dog house!, 49ford, 10 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90876 Topics
1062008 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.