Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3263574 - 06/07/13 03:26 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Thanks Poser.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3263740 - 06/07/13 08:29 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: Poser]
whistlinwingman
8 Point

Loc: Morristown

Originally Posted By: Poser
I'm not crazy about the Mapping Trophy Bucks book. There's definitely no harm in reading it, but I think that book is way to regional in its advice and, though it claims to be very specific, it seemed very general to me. I'd give the book a C, C+ at best.

I suppose it depends on where you are at in your understanding of terrain and the way deer use them. If you have a difficult time identifying funnels or are relatively new to hunting, the book could serve as a decent introduction. For the intermediate to experienced hunter, not so much. I didn't see much of anything in the book that a walk in the woods in January wouldn't tell you about how the deer use terrain and I do not recall seeing much actual advice on how specifically targeting "trophy bucks" as the title implies. The book should have been called "Deer Hunting and Topography in the Midwest."

I totally see where you are coming from. For a beginner its a great read. If you are experienced in using topo maps its so-so. But, like most other hunting books, it gets you in a certain mind-set for the subject but you have to apply your own experience and your own topography to the situation IMO.

I had hunted certain areas for several years that I thought were real hotspots and funnels. But after reading this book I realized some where very common funnels that I learned to look for on a topo when hunting new areas. That way I could walk straight to those areas to scout instead of walking all over to find the funnels.

#3263802 - 06/07/13 11:24 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: whistlinwingman]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/rgooch89/null_zps9e90dd08.jpg

Here is a aerial photo not the best example, but it can serve as a reference. The red line is a likely travel route that everyone is calling an inside corner. Notice if the deer walks north of there he risks revealing himself in the field, or if he travels south of there he exposes himself in the young clear cut. The yellow lines are saddles. These are not the best examples, but it's basically a low spot maybe what you'd call a ditch or ravine. In these cases they are either connecting to larger hollows or coming up from a hollow towards a field. In many cases a deer will leave the big hollow and follow this going to bed in this case in the small pines. Or maybe he's bedded in the pines and gets up and follows it to the field. This is probably because he can better use his nose or stay hidden in this lower terrain. The blue line is a break line it's just a line where two different types of cover meet. Many times you'll find active trails, rub lines or scrape lines in these places. Another one not marked is a converging hub, which is jus where multiple funnels meet. This is not a great map or markings but maybe it'll help and give you some reference. Saddles are my favorite!

#3263949 - 06/08/13 12:29 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: Poser]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Loc: Cumberland County,Tennessee, U...

Question Poser, How do I post a picture of my place on a topo?

#3263952 - 06/08/13 12:33 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: BHC]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

So saddle is just a lower " safer feeling area deer like to travel in? I thought deer like to take the highest ground possible?
 Originally Posted By: BHC
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x437/rgooch89/null_zps9e90dd08.jpg

Here is a aerial photo not the best example, but it can serve as a reference. The red line is a likely travel route that everyone is calling an inside corner. Notice if the deer walks north of there he risks revealing himself in the field, or if he travels south of there he exposes himself in the young clear cut. The yellow lines are saddles. These are not the best examples, but it's basically a low spot maybe what you'd call a ditch or ravine. In these cases they are either connecting to larger hollows or coming up from a hollow towards a field. In many cases a deer will leave the big hollow and follow this going to bed in this case in the small pines. Or maybe he's bedded in the pines and gets up and follows it to the field. This is probably because he can better use his nose or stay hidden in this lower terrain. The blue line is a break line it's just a line where two different types of cover meet. Many times you'll find active trails, rub lines or scrape lines in these places. Another one not marked is a converging hub, which is jus where multiple funnels meet. This is not a great map or markings but maybe it'll help and give you some reference. Saddles are my favorite!

#3263954 - 06/08/13 12:35 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: BuckHunter511]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Here is a link where I have a 3D view of my place. The red is logging road.
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3258848&page=0&fpart=1

#3263958 - 06/08/13 12:39 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: BuckHunter511]
BHC
6 Point

More or less, no they difinitetly do not typically take the high ground. When traveling a hollow there will typically be a trail in the very bottom and another half way to 3/4 of the way up the side of a hill.. In this scenario if you can find where the terrain gets really steep or where a creek narrows their travel, you've found a funnel.

#3263960 - 06/08/13 12:42 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: BHC]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Gotcha!

#3264638 - 06/09/13 04:10 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: BuckHunter511]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BuckHunter511
Question Poser, How do I post a picture of my place on a topo?

Go to MyTopo.com, find your property and take a screen shot.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3264950 - 06/09/13 10:03 PM Re: How to find/ hunt funnels? [Re: Poser]
BHC
6 Point

I ordered a big topo off mytopo, it's a lot better quality that what they'll let you see before you purchase it....

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (BamaProud, Marion deer hunter, Roost 1, EastTNHunter, lung-buster, DIRTTRAX, 2 invisible) and 46 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91312 Topics
1067415 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.