Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>
Topic Options
#3253499 - 05/23/13 11:52 AM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: 102]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: 102
 Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I agree with 102 on the weather and gobbling. Better weather does have better gobbling. But it aint that I and everybody else aint hearing turkeys because there silen. We are not hearing turkeys or seeing them or having sign on our land because they aint there.

We are not stupid. We know our lands and the lands around them and have experienced the drop off for sevearl years in a row. One bad year doesn't mean anything, but 7-8 bad years in a row does. If you don't live or hunt in these places you do not understand and you have no business saying that they are there and just not gobbling because the bad weather. We know what is going on the places that we frequent.

Nobody is calling anyone stupid.
I had no idea that there were places in Tennessee that had supported good huntable numbers of turkey 6 or 7 years ago and that now, the birds were all killed.
I think in those areas of the State, the season should be closed.
And I am CERTAIN that if proof were presented to TWRA that this were the case, TWRA would take action to replenish the flock including a closed season or three.

I have hunted places like Ocoee (National Forest Land) where groups of seasoned hunters would "swear" the flock had all but vanished. Year after year would produce poor hunting results. Then suddenly one year things change and turkeys are BACK! EVERYWHERE.

I have seen the same thing with deer herds, and fish.

It is a NORMAL natural cycle.

I suggest finding land to hunt that HAS good huntable numbers of turkey next season and give your "home" area a (voluntary) break.

It took me years to accept that TWRA could not produce "huntable" numbers of Pope and Young deer in my county. So I went looking. And I have never looked back.

I am fortunate enough to have a good spot somewhat nearby with huntable turkeys. I stated earlier that if TWRA went to units and my home area was a unit, it should be either closed season or no more than 1 or 2 birds with a 3 or 4 week season.
We hear and see few on my land year round. We normally get 1-3 gobblers and a few hens each spring, but the area is void of turkeys from mid summer all the way through the next March. Just seems to be a breeding/nesting area. I do not own much land, but have access to lands around it. This is just a guess, but I would say it has been about 1-3 gobblers per about 1,000 acres of good suitable habitat (cow pasture, hay fields, oak hardwoods, cedar thickets, food plots, and grown up blackberry thickets). It is just simply something wrong. We just never see, hear, or see turkey sign anymore.
7+ years ago it wasn't this way, seeing turkeys almost daily throughout this portion of the county year round. Small fall flocks were about 20 birds, but you would occasionally see them in the hundreds. Every spring all the pastures would have gobblers with "thier" hens. Every late spring and summer every little nook and cranny had a hen with a nest in it.

#3253552 - 05/23/13 01:14 PM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: woodsman87]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Not sure why things are that way for you woodsman, maybe something to do with a DDT type interaction between the soil (diet) and the eggs accumulated through several nesting seasons. Really doubt this but who knows.

More than likely it is a cycle of some sort.

If I were in your shoes, I would do as you have, find an alternate location till things get better.

TWRA simply can't micro manage counties. Manpower is just too prohibitive. I am sure we all realize these TWRA guys are not paid much. It is a state job. Kinda one of those (called) to serve kinda deals. Most TWRA employees really do it for the satisfaction and enjoyment of the job rather than the money. I respect that, even if it isn't long lived.

So it is pretty much up to us as hunters to decide "micro-management" style, what is best for our chosen area and then "pull the trigger" (pardon my pun). It is amazing what just a few like minded serious hunters can do for a local population of animals.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3253568 - 05/23/13 01:57 PM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: ]
woodsman87
8 Point

Im ready for hunting season of any kind(besides spring squirrel) to open so we can all relax again!
Check out these threads since all seasons are closed. We are having withdrawals and losing ourselves

Edited by woodsman87 (05/23/13 01:58 PM)

#3253578 - 05/23/13 02:24 PM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: woodsman87]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Me and woodsman aren't that far apart but different counties. I have access to thousands of acres of prime habitat and I heard more birds this year than I have in SEVERAL years. That number was 4, I used to hear 10-15 every morning just on one 450 acre parcel we lease but not anymore.

I agree with spur hunter and woodsman, there are several factors into play, but I still feel like there is a main contributor.
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3253617 - 05/23/13 03:26 PM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: 102]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

The point seems to be missed. Its not so much the fact the birds didn't gobble. Weather related? Yes, may have been. Its the fact that in several counties, and way more than a couple, the bird population has really dropped, or they have just vanished.

Edited by tickweed (05/23/13 03:32 PM)

#3253797 - 05/23/13 08:44 PM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: ]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: CAMARO12
 Originally Posted By: Rockhound
Me and woodsman aren't that far apart but different counties. I have access to thousands of acres of prime habitat and I heard more birds this year than I have in SEVERAL years. That number was 4, I used to hear 10-15 every morning just on one 450 acre parcel we lease but not anymore.

I agree with spur hunter and woodsman, there are several factors into play, but I still feel like there is a main contributor.
You heard more this year than you have in several years and you only heard 4 this year???

In LC, yep
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3253910 - 05/23/13 10:36 PM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: woodsman87]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Im ready for hunting season of any kind(besides spring squirrel) to open so we can all relax again!
Check out these threads since all seasons are closed. We are having withdrawals and losing ourselves
this is true! lol

Places I hunt have no problem with turkey population. I don't think any of these extreme measures are needed here. And hopefully we won't get an influx of hunters from other areas because they heard it was good here, and killing more birds and causing a problem. I guess we turkey hunters can be pretty selfish sometimes. Everybody seems to want 15 gobblers on the roost when they hunt and some people think killing a hen will ruin the flock....

...since last deer season

#3253953 - 05/24/13 03:05 AM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: ]
Rockhound
10 Point

Didn't you mean to say that you heard "less" this year instead of "more"???

No! I mean exactly what I said, I heard 4 birds in Lawrence co. This year and that is MORE than I have heard in 6 or 7 years

#3254109 - 05/24/13 08:57 AM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: Rockhound]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
Didn't you mean to say that you heard "less" this year instead of "more"???

No! I mean exactly what I said, I heard 4 birds in Lawrence co. This year and that is MORE than I have heard in 6 or 7 years

I only heard 4 in Giles county this year, no joke. And I do not live in a subdivision, suburb, city, or town. I live in a very secluded area with lots of good habitat all the way around. It isn't because I don't listen either. I get up before daylight every day and during the spring months if I am not hunting, im listening for them on my property before work. This year I started hearing them on March 11th. By April 19th, they were all gone. Do not know whether they got shot or just moved off. Plenty of pasture and field for hens to feed in and gobblers to strut in. Plenty of roosting hardwoods. There is water sources.

Since we have had this decline, I only hear/see them during early to mid spring. They are either all dead or just move out of there by the end of April. We do not have turkeys on our land during the fall winter since the population started going down.

This is all a few miles south of Highway 64. You get north of Pulaski, birds everywhere all the time.

#3254147 - 05/24/13 09:33 AM Re: 2013 Harvest Comparison [Re: woodsman87]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

This is all a few miles south of Highway 64. You get north of Pulaski, birds everywhere all the time.

I know you say good habitat all around, but has there been any major timbering or burns in the areas that could have caused an issue?

What about increase in predators, be it wild critters or an increase of dogs running loose?

What about any major agriculture changes?

I'm not doubting your evaluation of the habitat at all, just curious if something major has happened that you never thought about affecting the population. We are having the same decline in SW Dickson County, not as drastic as yours though. I have been trying to look at all angels but I cannot come up with anything, other than an slight increase in timber harvest nothing major.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (doubledownranch, Zulu, fourwheeler431, mossyhorns300, griz01, feather&fly, 9 invisible) and 137 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93089 Topics
1087893 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.115 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.