Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3252190 - 05/21/13 07:16 PM Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer
Trapper John
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: La Vergne,TN/Decaturville, TN

We finally had a new plan drawn up for the timber management part of our property. Long story short, we're due for some cutting to clear some of the "trash" trees so the more valuable timber has a chance to grow without as much competition.

I seem to recall from past reading that such cutting can be beneficial to the deer. Am I right?

The property has been divided up into zones, each zone being between 5 and 10 acres. One-third of these zones will be cut this year, followed by another 1/3 in ten years, and again ten years later. The cutting won't exactly be a clear cut, but it's not going to be pretty. Lots of junk to clear out.

I'm pretty much trying to refresh my memory on this type of cutting and its impact on deer and simultaneously calm myself down after giving the go ahead for this to happen while knowing that some of my current stands are in the areas set to be cut at some point.

Opinions?

#3252247 - 05/21/13 08:18 PM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: Trapper John]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

content Online
Id cut it all now,you wont know it happened in a few years and the deer hunting will be terrific the entire time.Dont cut those persimmons.

#3252284 - 05/21/13 08:45 PM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: diamond hunter]
primos32
6 Point

Loc: Savannah, TN

If your just removing low value trees, I would consider cutting all the zones soon for biggest economic return from your more valuable trees. However, spreading it out will give the deer patches of different habitat consistently over time.
#3252316 - 05/21/13 09:12 PM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: primos32]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Will be great for the deer, but think you're spreading the cutting over too long a time period.
#3252494 - 05/22/13 07:10 AM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: Wes Parrish]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Trapper,

We're doing something like this but it's really more thinning to release crop trees; it'll be almost continuous until we get it where it needs to be. Kind of depends on your goals as oftentimes habitat management and maximizing economic return aren't parallel. In our case, thinning will indeed benefit wildlife but for this particular activity it's truly about increasing longterm economic value.

#3252548 - 05/22/13 08:19 AM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: Boll Weevil]
treefarmer
4 Point

Loc: Humphreys County, TN

John,

We are doing the exact same thing on our Humphrey's County Tree Farm. I have removed the junk trees on 2/3 of our hardwood property and am planning a timber sale (use a consultant!) this fall for about 1/3 of the areas, in 10-12 acre spots. I'm planning a clear cut so the sun loving high value oak trees take over instead of the undesireable low value sweetgum, maple, hickory, etc. A clear cut recovers faster, is better for wildlife and brings a better financial return. I'm eager to see the wildlife response.

#3253036 - 05/22/13 07:21 PM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: treefarmer]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Treefarmer,

I'd be very interested in your outcomes/how the project moves along and if you don't mind, zip me a note every so often. I'd be happy to share how things are progressing at my place.

WHAT WAS THAT?!? AS MUCH AS I'D LIKE TO CHAT NOW I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE CHAINSAW!!!

Good luck to you.

#3253609 - 05/23/13 03:16 PM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: Trapper John]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Trapper John
We finally had a new plan drawn up for the timber management part of our property. Long story short, we're due for some cutting to clear some of the "trash" trees so the more valuable timber has a chance to grow without as much competition.

I seem to recall from past reading that such cutting can be beneficial to the deer. Am I right?

The property has been divided up into zones, each zone being between 5 and 10 acres. One-third of these zones will be cut this year, followed by another 1/3 in ten years, and again ten years later. The cutting won't exactly be a clear cut, but it's not going to be pretty. Lots of junk to clear out.

I'm pretty much trying to refresh my memory on this type of cutting and its impact on deer and simultaneously calm myself down after giving the go ahead for this to happen while knowing that some of my current stands are in the areas set to be cut at some point.

Opinions?
Should improve the habitat,and I sure wouldnt worry about cleaning up the "junk".Makes good bedding areas,and will be gone sooner than you think. JMO

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3254216 - 05/24/13 11:04 AM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Trapper,

That's an excellent plan. Considering you will be doing all the property, 10 years between cuttings will work. Personally, I like my rotations more rapid (fewer years between cuttings), but that requires many more cuttings. For thinnings, I like to thin 10% of the property every 3 years, which means all of the property eventually gets thinned over 30 years. For fairly intense cuts, I like 10% of the property being heavily cut ever 6 years, which means all of the property eventually gets cut over 60 years.

Rotational systems like you are using help keep a similar percentage of the property in the different important stages of regrowth over the long-term.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3255313 - 05/26/13 07:58 PM Re: Rotation Cutting Impact on Deer [Re: treefarmer]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: treefarmer
John,

We are doing the exact same thing on our Humphrey's County Tree Farm. I have removed the junk trees on 2/3 of our hardwood property and am planning a timber sale (use a consultant!) this fall for about 1/3 of the areas, in 10-12 acre spots. I'm planning a clear cut so the sun loving high value oak trees take over instead of the undesireable low value sweetgum, maple, hickory, etc. A clear cut recovers faster, is better for wildlife and brings a better financial return. I'm eager to see the wildlife response.
I agree with everything except your financial return. Please note I am just a logger and not a forester. My experience is that when you let sunlight in on your trees with high value you are infact killing your future profit. Let me explain. The best timber grows in areas where the trees have to compete for sunlight. The farther they have to reach, the taller they grow. And for high dollar timber you want all the limbs at the top. Not growing all the way up the tree. The only way this can happen is the tree has to reach high for sunlight. Straight long limbless logs make high quality timber. If you doubt me take a look at any tree in full sun. It will be short and bushy. Great for wildlife but not for profit.When I work for someone who wants to manage for wildlife we useally do a clearcut. We leave some oaks for mast. If he is wanting to maximize profit from his timber we will do a select cut useally down to 14 inchs in diamerter. This leaves the young trees with some shade and will give the landowner another cutting in 10-15 years. This is where there is conflict, managing for wildlife and also producing maximum profits from your timber.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (Rkcrawl, Coon_huntr4life, NICHOLS3, Huntaholic, REN, stilllookin, 11 invisible) and 168 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92930 Topics
1085940 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.106 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.