Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#3300210 - 07/23/13 09:06 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: diamond hunter]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Our persimmons are too young, but should produce next year. All 30 of them

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3304615 - 07/28/13 11:30 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I realize that Stewart County is getting some "lake effect" rainfall, nothing new there, but it's just adding to the most unbelievable amount of summer forage I've ever seen.

We had about 1/8" more rain early Saturday morning, just enough to prevent me from planting some milo. I check the weather around mid-day (yesterday, Sat the 27th), and there's no rain forecast until Tuesday. Ground has dried out enough I think can disc a little ground, then get it planted before dark. Get the discing done, then start planting --- before am even half done ---- a downpour just comes out of nowhere!

I can see blue sky in every direction, but I get soaked to the bone in just a few minutes, and the plots are instantly too muddy to continue. Looks like it rained about another 1/8" Saturday evening --- and definitely "lake effect" rainfall, best I can figure.

Don't know about some of your persimmons, but I've never before seen so many blackberries, along with so much really fresh growing forbs for this time of year. Clover plots look more like they typically look in early May ---- still thick and lush and still growing!

#3304899 - 07/28/13 05:40 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

We had about 1/8" more rain early Saturday morning, just enough to prevent me from planting some milo.

Wes, just curious, what purposes are you planting the milo for? That's about the only thing under the sun I haven't planted. I hear the deer like it. What about doves and turkeys? I simply don't know anything about it.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3306594 - 07/30/13 01:44 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

We had about 1/8" more rain early Saturday morning, just enough to prevent me from planting some milo.

Wes, just curious, what purposes are you planting the milo for? That's about the only thing under the sun I haven't planted. I hear the deer like it. What about doves and turkeys? I simply don't know anything about it.

We also had about ANOTHER 1/8" rain Saturday afternoon, AND it's pouring now (Tuesday)!

Like you, I hadn't previously planted milo in food plots. Read my post in the "Food Plot" forum:
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3304894&page=1#Post3304894

Basically, milo "seems" to be a viable addition to fall plots (although you plant it in summer). I'm looking at this milo experiment as a possible way to spread out the time I have in getting in the fall plots, since I can have much of the acreage in milo completed during the summer months.

Seems I'm often scrambling for the time to complete all the fall plots, often sacrificing some bowhunting time because I'm too busy doing food plots.

#3306904 - 07/30/13 06:43 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

We usually do our fall plots on Labor Day weekend every year. When it rains that weekend, then we scramble.

We also like to plant stuff for #1 deer, but also dove and turkey. We have about 15 acres in corn this year. We have never planted millet before, but planted about 2 acres of that this year to bring in some doves. Corn should help too. With milo, I just simply didn't know. Instead of googling, I figured I'd just ask you and get straight to the point \:\) . Knew you probably planted it for a purpose. The radar looks like it is raining on our place in Hickman, but I'll have to make a call down there to confirm. Hope it's not another disappointing call \:D

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3307769 - 07/31/13 02:22 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

The radar looks like it is raining on our place in Hickman, but I'll have to make a call down there to confirm. Hope it's not another disappointing call \:D

JCDEERMAN, we got a good soaking rain yesterday evening about 6:30, and it rained again about 10:30 (only about 15-20 minutes, but pretty hard). I don't think it has done more than a few sprinkles today so far according to my wife, but we are really good with the soil moisture even if we don't get any more out of this system.

#3307880 - 07/31/13 04:02 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Radar estimates are that the southern half of Humphreys and northern half of Hickman got some decent rain today and last night. More rain blowing up along the TN River right now, especially for northern Perry County.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3308016 - 07/31/13 06:06 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: woodchuckc]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
The radar looks like it is raining on our place in Hickman, but I'll have to make a call down there to confirm. Hope it's not another disappointing call \:D

JCDEERMAN, we got a good soaking rain yesterday evening about 6:30, and it rained again about 10:30 (only about 15-20 minutes, but pretty hard). I don't think it has done more than a few sprinkles today so far according to my wife, but we are really good with the soil moisture even if we don't get any more out of this system.

Thanks woodchuckc. Just talked to the guy across the street from our place. He said it was off and on all day and last night. Said it was pouring just a little while ago. Our corn is already up and good ears. But the more rain, the better!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3317161 - 08/09/13 11:42 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
. . . . . after looking at as many long-range predictions and models as I can find . . . . The trend in predictions/models is a return to wet and cooler than normal weather for August. Wouldn't that be a change! How long has it been since we had a wet/cool August?

Well, BSK, so far, your earlier "trend" data for August has been "spot on". \:D

Considering many bucks' antlers are still growing, this has to bode well for adding some extra tine and main beam length.

#3317308 - 08/09/13 02:45 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Yup. The climate forecasters I trust most really nailed this summer's forecast (although they absolutely blew the spring forecast). This cooler and wetter pattern should hold through August.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
113 registered (Dodge Man, Webfeet15, Mike Belt, Snake, Deerbuster1996, Dbllunger, 12 invisible) and 168 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95892 Topics
1122864 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.097 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.