Tndeer Logo

Page all of 9 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3252313 - 05/21/13 09:08 PM This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK?
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Hey, BSK, and anyone else willing to chime in . . . . .
What do think about this year's antler growing conditions, particularly along the Western Highland Rim?

My territory just a little north of your place had a much better crop of red oak acorns than was originally thought, mild winter, and food supply so far this spring is just unreal. Just hope we're not getting too much rain, as if this keeps up, may drown the fawns!

Otherwise, believe we're going to grow some way above average antlers, and can't wait to starting seeing the evidence in a couple months or so.

#3252636 - 05/22/13 10:01 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Do not know anything about this, but I saw two bucks the other day, both of their spreads were just inside their ears and they had nice looking brow tines. Hopefully they will be bigguns!
#3252800 - 05/22/13 01:03 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: woodsman87]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Loc: Cumberland County,Tennessee, U...

Hope he chimes in. Maybe some info about the Cumberland Plateau area.

#3254213 - 05/24/13 10:58 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BuckHunter511]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

So far, the antler growing conditions have been exceptional. But June is the top antler-growth month, so we shall see...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3255047 - 05/26/13 06:18 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

I was watching a show in Illinois where they say a rainy spring is key to growing big antlers.should be a great year
#3255123 - 05/26/13 10:20 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I agree, Wes. Many red oak acorns to carry them through in our area. I love wet springs. Our select cut areas are booming. Plenty of fresh lush foliage. Hope it sticks around for a while

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3255178 - 05/26/13 12:37 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
BSK
Non-Typical

The long-range climate forecasts I've seen suggest a cooler and wetter first half of the summer, although the second half may be hotter and drier.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3255247 - 05/26/13 04:43 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

I thought this was informative..did not know they were so soft in the early stages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeK-zhpZC...h?v=TeK-zhpZCEM

#3257770 - 05/30/13 07:54 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
The long-range climate forecasts I've seen suggest a cooler and wetter first half of the summer, although the second half may be hotter and drier.

All I can say is "so far, so good".
If we're just somewhere near "seasonably" normal for the remainder of antler-growing, I'll be very happy with the weather. \:\)

#3258468 - 05/31/13 08:09 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

So far, the antler growing conditions have been exceptional. But June is the top antler-growth month, so we shall see...

May the best month begin . . . . . .
With a nice spring-like shower. \:\)
As the month of May ends with a nice spring-like shower.

Yes, this is exceptionally good, so far, at least on the Western Highland Rim.

#3258510 - 05/31/13 08:47 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Went just north of our place in Hickman. Hopefully this weekend will bring some more showers. All of our corn is in the ground and has been growing good so far

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3258537 - 05/31/13 09:21 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Yes, this is exceptionally good, so far, at least on the Western Highland Rim.
Same here in SW TN. We are approximately 6" above average for precipitation thus far, and double the amount for the first five months when compared to last year.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3262538 - 06/06/13 06:12 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Andy S.]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

It just keeps looking better.
#3262797 - 06/06/13 12:21 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

It just keeps looking better.
sure does,no lack of food or water for sure.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3262805 - 06/06/13 12:29 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Football Hunter]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

A good rain every 2 weeks during the dog days of summer would suffice. The more the better. The last few summers, I would have died for a good rain every 2 weeks as it was bone dry

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3279652 - 07/01/13 10:47 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

. . . . . June is the top antler-growth month, so we shall see...

June has been beyond exceptional in Stewart Co.

It was raining the last day of May, it was raining the 1st day of June, it rained regularly during June (with near normal temps), it was raining the last day of June, and today, the 1st day of July, it is raining right now (in Stewart Co.) as I type.

I know the rainfall isn't uniform across the state, and less than two weeks ago, I saw over 4 inches fall one afternoon, while less than 5 miles away there was zero rainfall. But I believe all the Western Highland Rim has had a better than average June for growing better than average antlers. \:\)

#3280380 - 07/02/13 07:52 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Conditions look great for the Western Highland Rim (and many other sections of TN) for this year.

#3281488 - 07/03/13 11:51 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Superb here in my part of east TN.
#3281508 - 07/03/13 12:05 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Winchester]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

"Superb" is the word! \:\)
It's the 3rd day of July, and we haven't yet gone 24 hours without some rain, thus far into July, following that wet June.

#3281695 - 07/03/13 03:40 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

There is so much quality browse available that I have small plots of beans,lablab, etc that are going untouched. Superb is definitely the word. We are over 10 inches above this date last year.

#3281698 - 07/03/13 03:42 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: smstone22]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Send some of it west!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3281748 - 07/03/13 04:37 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: smstone22]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: smstone22
There is so much quality browse available that I have small plots of beans,lablab, etc that are going untouched. Superb is definitely the word. We are over 10 inches above this date last year.

SUPERB! \:D

Perhaps 2013 will be THE YEAR that Tennessee's long-standing record for a typical whitetail will be bested!

Remains amazing that our Tennessee Record Typical was taken in 1959, and hasn't been equaled now in over 50 years. Also amazing, it was taken in an Eastern part of TN, mountainous area of poor soil and little agriculture.

I bet 1959 was also a SUPERB year! \:D

#3282103 - 07/04/13 08:10 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Or perhaps that buck was just a genetic freak. If he had lived in Iowa, he might have been a 240-inch world record. What he actual grew may have been all the local environment could grow for what was world-class potential.

#3282321 - 07/04/13 12:22 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: smstone22]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: smstone22

That's always a good sign. Our timber cuts are booming now in their 3rd and 4th year. Plenty of cover to hold them in there this year for sure.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3282625 - 07/04/13 07:56 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Or perhaps that buck was just a genetic freak. If he had lived in Iowa, he might have been a 240-inch world record. What he actual grew may have been all the local environment could grow for what was world-class potential.

I agree, but I also already know 1959 was a SUPERB year. \:\)

If 1959 had had very poor antler-growing conditions, it's doubtful the Foster buck would have had such a large rack that year, even with his superior genetic potential.

My hope is the conditions are so superb this year, that many bucks with top-end antler genetics will express much more of their potential than we would typically see. In fact, I believe the odds are very high that 2013 will produce a new Tennessee record typical that tops that "freak" buck taken back in 1959 by Sonny Foster. I'd even take that speculation a step farther by saying it will likely be a mainframe 5x5 that "appears" much more "massive" than the Foster buck. \:\)

#3291672 - 07/15/13 06:53 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Uh-oh. Looks like we're going a few days this week without any rain.
But believe it's now a "done deal" on "we've had incredible antler-growing conditions" across most of TN.

Considering the current deep soil moisture for mid-July, would even a severe drought (beginning today thru Fall) have much effect on remaining antler growth?

#3291692 - 07/15/13 07:05 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

At this point, doubtful. Conditions for antler growth are pretty much a done deal.

#3291700 - 07/15/13 07:16 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Conditions for antler growth are pretty much a done deal.

I realize that over time, many localized TN herds have become less "acorn-driven" (a big positive?), and would think that the case where you've been keeping detailed records for decades in Humphreys County.

Considering the 2012 acorn crop, the 2013 Spring, have you ever seen better overall conditions for say Humphreys County than 2013?

#3291756 - 07/15/13 08:17 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

I haven't seen better over-all conditions, considering all factors: number of years in a row with a good acorn crop, including two good red oak acorn crops in a row; mild winter; cool and wet spring and summer; excellent browse production; excellent blackberry crop, etc.

#3291770 - 07/15/13 08:28 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I haven't seen better over-all conditions . . . .

Same here in Stewart County, although my observations are more casual and anecdotal compared to yours. \:\)

#3292448 - 07/15/13 10:31 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

BSK, how does blackberry crop help? Is that something deer love to chow down on? tons and tons of them in one of my spots. Far too many for the deer to ever deplete.

...since last deer season

#3292586 - 07/16/13 07:16 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: catman529]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
BSK, how does blackberry crop help? Is that something deer love to chow down on? tons and tons of them in one of my spots. Far too many for the deer to ever deplete.

They will deplete them at some point. They love them and usually don't last too long

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3292616 - 07/16/13 08:02 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: catman529]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: catman529

Soft mast (berries and fruit) are an important nutritional source in summer, and blackberries are one of the earliest and most prolific berries available during antler growth.

#3292638 - 07/16/13 08:24 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I know that deer love blackberries, but how do blackberries enhance antler growth? Assuming there is an abundance of other food items higher in protein, wouldn't a diet more of soybeans and clover grow larger antlers than a diet where lots of blackberries are replacing lots of higher-protein items?
#3292668 - 07/16/13 08:51 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

I know that deer love blackberries, but how do blackberries enhance antler growth? Assuming there is an abundance of other food items higher in protein, wouldn't a diet more of soybeans and clover grow larger antlers than a diet where lots of blackberries are replacing lots of higher-protein items?

A growing body of evidence suggests the amount of readily available "energy" in a deer's diet is a huge player in performance (including antler development), perhaps even more important than protein content. Sugars, like those found in fruits and berries, are one of the easiest molecules to convert to energy.

#3293003 - 07/16/13 01:14 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Seems like its getting kind of dry in the Perry co area,showers and fronts just missing my place lately.

#3293010 - 07/16/13 01:21 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Seems like its getting kind of dry in the Perry co area,showers and fronts just missing my place lately.

Sure is for your area. Perry County is at the core of the driest part of the Midstate, receiving only around an inch of rain since the beginning of July.

#3293021 - 07/16/13 01:30 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Sure is for your area. Perry County is at the core of the driest part of the Midstate, receiving only around an inch of rain since the beginning of July.

Our place in Hickman is in the same shoes. Right close to the Perry line

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3295666 - 07/19/13 07:24 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Considering the current deep soil moisture for mid-July, would even a severe drought (beginning today thru Fall) have much effect on remaining antler growth?

I was worried that the current hot spell was the first indication of a change in weather patterns from the cooler and wetter pattern we've experienced the first half of the summer to a hot and dry pattern for the end of summer like we've seen the last few years. However, after looking at as many long-range predictions and models as I can find, I don't think that's the case. The trend in predictions/models is a return to wet and cooler than normal weather for August. Wouldn't that be a change! How long has it been since we had a wet/cool August?

#3295677 - 07/19/13 07:35 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

All I know is we got over another inch of rain in Stewart County last night. \:D

And I suspect many of the bucks people are getting pics, thinking they're 3 1/2, are actually 2 1/2 year old bucks!

#3295706 - 07/19/13 08:07 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

We have definitely missed most of the rain at my place in Perry County. Luckily we had a wet spring so things arenít too bad yet. I planted some eagle seed beans and only got a sprinkle on them in over 3 weeks after planting. Somehow there is still some germinating. Meanwhile at my house in Williamson County we have been having monsoons.

#3295722 - 07/19/13 08:28 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Bayou Buck]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Bayou Buck

We have definitely missed most of the rain at my place in Perry County. Luckily we had a wet spring so things arenít too bad yet. I planted some eagle seed beans and only got a sprinkle on them in over 3 weeks after planting. Somehow there is still some germinating. Meanwhile at my house in Williamson County we have been having monsoons.

We must have gotten a little bit more at our place in Hickman. Our corn is about 7.5 feet tall with 2 ears a stalk. I don know how though, as we have missed most all the rain! Makes me mad how every time I see rain around the mid-state, it's NEVER around us and we seem to be the only ones not getting it! Oh well, I think overall things could be much worse. If the beans are just sprouting, could it be the deer are hammering them too? A lot of deer around there

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3295732 - 07/19/13 08:39 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN

We must have gotten a little bit more at our place in Hickman. Our corn is about 7.5 feet tall with 2 ears a stalk. I don know how though, as we have missed most all the rain! Makes me mad how every time I see rain around the mid-state, it's NEVER around us and we seem to be the only ones not getting it! Oh well, I think overall things could be much worse. If the beans are just sprouting, could it be the deer are hammering them too? A lot of deer around there

I planted 4 weeks ago from tomorrow and have got less than .5" of rain on them. If we get some of this rain this weekend I think they will we great. I am getting tired of looking at the forcast and seeing a 60-70% chance of rain and then getting none. I have lots (hundreds of acres) of younger cutover around me so that takes the pressure off the beans.

#3295757 - 07/19/13 08:52 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Bayou Buck]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

I planted 4 weeks ago from tomorrow and have got less than .5" of rain on them. If we get some of this rain this weekend I think they will we great. I am getting tired of looking at the forcast and seeing a 60-70% chance of rain and then getting none. I have lots (hundreds of acres) of younger cutover around me so that takes the pressure off the beans.

Keep us updated. We are thinking about doing a mixture of corn and beans next spring. We too have several hundred acres around us that has been cut and is in its 2nd - 4th year of growth. I'll be down there this weekend to get a lot of work done. If it happens to rain, it won't bother me a bit.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3296641 - 07/20/13 09:35 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

It's hard for me to imagine some parts of the state being dry. I gave up on Spring/Summer plots this year because of rain. All but one of my plots still has water standing on them.
#3298340 - 07/22/13 07:36 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Hunter 257W]
BSK
Non-Typical

Both Perry and Humphreys counties getting EXCELLENT rainfall this morning. Parts of both counties got some good rainfall totals Sunday as well (an inch plus up and down the Highway 13 corridor from Linden to Waverly).

#3298395 - 07/22/13 08:38 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Both Perry and Humphreys counties getting EXCELLENT rainfall this morning. Parts of both counties got some good rainfall totals Sunday as well (an inch plus up and down the Highway 13 corridor from Linden to Waverly).

Yup, looks like the farm has got at least a shower for 3 days straight and and heavy rain today. Beans should take off now.

#3298431 - 07/22/13 09:13 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Bayou Buck]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Yesterday we got a short sprinkle, as it went just north of us. Guy called this morning and said we had gotten atleast 3" and was still raining. Should be good for a while now!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3298593 - 07/22/13 11:20 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Just when I think it couldn't be any better in my neck of the woods, it just keeps coming. \:\) Since my last post, there hasn't been 24 hours go by without at least an 8th inch of rain. If anything, we've had too much over the past 24 hours. This morning before work, I was going to check a trail cam, but the water was too high to drive across the creek. Actually, the water was about 4 feet deep where I normally can drive across in a car.
#3298636 - 07/22/13 11:52 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Some parts of Perry County (Highway 13 corridor from Linden to Lobelville) got up to 4 inches of rain over the last 24 hours.

Almost all of Humphreys and Perry counties got at least 1.5 inches, and most areas over 2 inches.

#3298836 - 07/22/13 03:11 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Some parts of Perry County (Highway 13 corridor from Linden to Lobelville) got up to 4 inches of rain over the last 24 hours.

Almost all of Humphreys and Perry counties got at least 1.5 inches, and most areas over 2 inches.
Yep,and I caused it \:\) went and sprayed my fruit trees Saturday,figured that would do it \:\)

#3298860 - 07/22/13 03:31 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Yep,and I caused it \:\) went and sprayed my fruit trees Saturday,figured that would do it \:\)

You da MAN! ;\)

#3299049 - 07/22/13 06:27 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Football Hunter]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Thanks FH. I also feel I contributed to the cause. I put out 350 pounds of trace mineral salt, then we got over 4" of rain. I'm sure it's all down in the hollows now \:D

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3299456 - 07/23/13 07:51 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

Thanks FH. I also feel I contributed to the cause. I put out 350 pounds of trace mineral salt, then we got over 4" of rain. I'm sure it's all down in the hollows now \:D

I wish you had only put out ~200 pounds - maybe then we would have only gotten 2" of rain yesterday instead of about 4" and my purple hull peas in the garden wouldn't be standing in water right now!

#3299471 - 07/23/13 08:02 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: woodchuckc]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Looks like another heavy batch of rain going through the area again right now.
#3299976 - 07/23/13 04:51 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Bayou Buck]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

we have farms in Maury Hickman and Giles county and so far so good. acorns are doing great. corn and beans are doing great. the wheat did great. the persimmons ought to be doing real well to. I think this deer season will be an outstanding season. at least I sure hope so! hopefully we will get some good cold weather this season.

#3299978 - 07/23/13 04:57 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: deerhunter10]
BSK
Non-Typical

For some reason, I've seen fairly poor persimmon fruit-set in several areas, and I don't know why. All the other fruits look good.

#3299981 - 07/23/13 05:01 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I haven't been in the areas where we have all of our persimmon trees but I hope they are pretty good. if they aren't I could not think of anything to cause them to have a bad crop.

#3300198 - 07/23/13 08:56 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: deerhunter10]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

My persimmons in Macon county are having a bad year.

#3300201 - 07/23/13 08:58 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: diamond hunter]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

The persimmons in my Sumner county neighborhood are bare.

#3300210 - 07/23/13 09:06 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: diamond hunter]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Our persimmons are too young, but should produce next year. All 30 of them

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3304615 - 07/28/13 11:30 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I realize that Stewart County is getting some "lake effect" rainfall, nothing new there, but it's just adding to the most unbelievable amount of summer forage I've ever seen.

We had about 1/8" more rain early Saturday morning, just enough to prevent me from planting some milo. I check the weather around mid-day (yesterday, Sat the 27th), and there's no rain forecast until Tuesday. Ground has dried out enough I think can disc a little ground, then get it planted before dark. Get the discing done, then start planting --- before am even half done ---- a downpour just comes out of nowhere!

I can see blue sky in every direction, but I get soaked to the bone in just a few minutes, and the plots are instantly too muddy to continue. Looks like it rained about another 1/8" Saturday evening --- and definitely "lake effect" rainfall, best I can figure.

Don't know about some of your persimmons, but I've never before seen so many blackberries, along with so much really fresh growing forbs for this time of year. Clover plots look more like they typically look in early May ---- still thick and lush and still growing!

#3304899 - 07/28/13 05:40 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

We had about 1/8" more rain early Saturday morning, just enough to prevent me from planting some milo.

Wes, just curious, what purposes are you planting the milo for? That's about the only thing under the sun I haven't planted. I hear the deer like it. What about doves and turkeys? I simply don't know anything about it.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3306594 - 07/30/13 01:44 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

We had about 1/8" more rain early Saturday morning, just enough to prevent me from planting some milo.

Wes, just curious, what purposes are you planting the milo for? That's about the only thing under the sun I haven't planted. I hear the deer like it. What about doves and turkeys? I simply don't know anything about it.

We also had about ANOTHER 1/8" rain Saturday afternoon, AND it's pouring now (Tuesday)!

Like you, I hadn't previously planted milo in food plots. Read my post in the "Food Plot" forum:
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3304894&page=1#Post3304894

Basically, milo "seems" to be a viable addition to fall plots (although you plant it in summer). I'm looking at this milo experiment as a possible way to spread out the time I have in getting in the fall plots, since I can have much of the acreage in milo completed during the summer months.

Seems I'm often scrambling for the time to complete all the fall plots, often sacrificing some bowhunting time because I'm too busy doing food plots.

#3306904 - 07/30/13 06:43 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

We usually do our fall plots on Labor Day weekend every year. When it rains that weekend, then we scramble.

We also like to plant stuff for #1 deer, but also dove and turkey. We have about 15 acres in corn this year. We have never planted millet before, but planted about 2 acres of that this year to bring in some doves. Corn should help too. With milo, I just simply didn't know. Instead of googling, I figured I'd just ask you and get straight to the point \:\) . Knew you probably planted it for a purpose. The radar looks like it is raining on our place in Hickman, but I'll have to make a call down there to confirm. Hope it's not another disappointing call \:D

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3307769 - 07/31/13 02:22 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

The radar looks like it is raining on our place in Hickman, but I'll have to make a call down there to confirm. Hope it's not another disappointing call \:D

JCDEERMAN, we got a good soaking rain yesterday evening about 6:30, and it rained again about 10:30 (only about 15-20 minutes, but pretty hard). I don't think it has done more than a few sprinkles today so far according to my wife, but we are really good with the soil moisture even if we don't get any more out of this system.

#3307880 - 07/31/13 04:02 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Non-Typical

Radar estimates are that the southern half of Humphreys and northern half of Hickman got some decent rain today and last night. More rain blowing up along the TN River right now, especially for northern Perry County.

#3308016 - 07/31/13 06:06 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: woodchuckc]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
The radar looks like it is raining on our place in Hickman, but I'll have to make a call down there to confirm. Hope it's not another disappointing call \:D

JCDEERMAN, we got a good soaking rain yesterday evening about 6:30, and it rained again about 10:30 (only about 15-20 minutes, but pretty hard). I don't think it has done more than a few sprinkles today so far according to my wife, but we are really good with the soil moisture even if we don't get any more out of this system.

Thanks woodchuckc. Just talked to the guy across the street from our place. He said it was off and on all day and last night. Said it was pouring just a little while ago. Our corn is already up and good ears. But the more rain, the better!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3317161 - 08/09/13 11:42 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

. . . . . after looking at as many long-range predictions and models as I can find . . . . The trend in predictions/models is a return to wet and cooler than normal weather for August. Wouldn't that be a change! How long has it been since we had a wet/cool August?

Well, BSK, so far, your earlier "trend" data for August has been "spot on". \:D

Considering many bucks' antlers are still growing, this has to bode well for adding some extra tine and main beam length.

#3317308 - 08/09/13 02:45 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Yup. The climate forecasters I trust most really nailed this summer's forecast (although they absolutely blew the spring forecast). This cooler and wetter pattern should hold through August.

#3317380 - 08/09/13 04:02 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

What about September?

#3317386 - 08/09/13 04:13 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: WMAn]
Shadhood
Spike

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

My cams r showing the best antlers I've ever had on bucks this year this cool, wet summer we have had was not only excellent for the growing season but also the crops n fruit-mast tree. If this weather pattern we could have some excellent cold weather hunting conditions this fall
#3317482 - 08/09/13 05:52 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Shadhood]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Shadhood
If this weather pattern we could have some excellent cold weather hunting conditions this fall

? Curious as to what you mean by this ?
P.S. I'm a little slow. \:\)

#3317706 - 08/09/13 09:28 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: WMAn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WMAn
What about September?

Haven't seen a detailed forecast for the fall yet.

#3317923 - 08/10/13 07:50 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Even if September's rainfall is a little below average, I believe the deep ground moisture ups the ante to more like average or above. If you're planting plots, main thing may be to get a little rain on them soon after planting.
#3317928 - 08/10/13 07:55 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

New Question Regarding Antler Growing Conditions:

If the conditions are so good this year that bucks grows larger than normal antlers, will there be some antler "memory" which augments next year's antler growth?

In other words, if conditions are very good this year, causing larger than average antlers per age class, will this also help to grow larger antlers next year, even if next year's conditions are average?

#3317936 - 08/10/13 08:03 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

New Question Regarding Antler Growing Conditions:

If the conditions are so good this year that bucks grows larger than normal antlers, will there be some antler "memory" which augments next year's antler growth?

In other words, if conditions are very good this year, causing larger than average antlers per age class, will this also help to grow larger antlers next year, even if next year's conditions are average?

Good question Wes, need a BSK answer?
But when I was elk hunting a good bit, always the same
outfitter,they would worry about "finishing out" with growth
a wet year didn't mean much if the next was dry

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3318022 - 08/10/13 09:51 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: landman]
BSK
Non-Typical

I've seen no research on that topic. In fact, much about antler growth is unknown.

#3318025 - 08/10/13 09:53 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

I'm a tad disappointed with what I'm seeing on trail-camera in my area so far. Bucks' antlers are below average for their age.

#3318073 - 08/10/13 10:33 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I'm a tad disappointed with what I'm seeing on trail-camera in my area so far. Bucks' antlers are below average for their age.

Simple explanation for that: You shoot your best antlered young bucks! \:D
Leaving only the smaller antlered ones as survivors!
And your neighbors probably do this as well, particularly way-laying those top-end yearlings. Even the largest button bucks get killed at a higher rate because they are more easily mistaken for an adult doe. This is one pitfall of too much enthusiasm for high doe harvests: More of the earlier born (larger, with a "head start" on growing antlers) buttons get killed by hunters mistaking them for an adult doe.

Seriously, you may now be experiencing more of what I've been talking about for years, the result of a rapid shift in hunters using antler restrictions, such as "4 on a side", where they're wiping out more of their best yearlings and best 2 1/2's than they would had they been using no antler restrictions at all.

Add to this the past couple years being above average for antler growth, and the result may have been more yearling bucks meeting basic antler restriction criteria such as "4 on a side", significantly reducing this year's crop of 2 1/2's with above average antler genetics?

I'm reserving judgment on this year's antler growth results until the end of this month, after which have reviewed the more "finished out" results.

And for whatever reason, it seems we get a little more rainfall in Stewart Co than you do in Humphreys. Today's but the latest example. I suspect a little more "lake effect".

#3318090 - 08/10/13 10:45 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Simple explanation for that: You shoot your best antlered young bucks! \:D
Leaving only the smaller antlered ones as survivors!
And your neighbors probably do this as well, particularly way-laying those top-end yearlings. Even the largest button bucks get killed at a higher rate because they are more easily mistaken for an adult doe. This is one pitfall of too much enthusiasm for high doe harvests: More of the earlier born (larger, with a "head start" on growing antlers) buttons get killed by hunters mistaking them for an adult doe.

Seriously, you may now be experiencing more of what I've been talking about for years, the result of a rapid shift in hunters using antler restrictions, such as "4 on a side", where they're wiping out more of their best yearlings and best 2 1/2's than they would had they been using no antler restrictions at all.

I'm reserving judgment on this year's antler growth results until the end of this month, after which have reviewed the more "finished out" results.

And for whatever reason, it seems we get a little more rainfall in Stewart Co than you do in Humphreys. Today's but the latest example. I suspect a little more "lake effect".

Wes, too much rain too fast, Big Rock & Bumpus Mills got 2.5" in 30 minutes Thursday

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3318094 - 08/10/13 10:48 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: landman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: landman
Wes, too much rain too fast, Big Rock & Bumpus Mills got 2.5" in 30 minutes Thursday

Still doesn't flood or harm as bad as it does like what we had back in April before there was enough plant growth to slow down the flooding. But I agree, too much too fast has happened several times this year. Little closer to Dover, we've already had over 2 inches just in the past 24 hours today! Still raining, and looks like quite a bit more coming over the next few hours.

#3318101 - 08/10/13 10:52 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

This would be average scores including the effect of high-grading. There have been no major changes in harvest pressure or who is hunting the surrounding area (and their harvest criteria). In addition, my area sees a very low buck harvest (only a small percentage of available bucks harvested each year).

With the average 3 1/2 only grossing 105-110 in my area, I'm seeing 3 1/2s this year only scoring 95-100.

#3318104 - 08/10/13 10:56 AM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

With the average 3 1/2 only grossing 105-110 in my area, I'm seeing 3 1/2s this year only scoring 95-100.

But do you have enough data (so far this year) for those results to be meaningful? Some bucks are still "finishing out", and another inch or two's length on G-3's, G-4's, and main beams can easily add 5 to 10 inches to the final score.

#3318181 - 08/10/13 12:24 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

But do you have enough data (so far this year) for those results to be meaningful?

Nope, not yet. I was just hoping beyond hope to see some whoppers this year! of course, the bottomland bucks won't show up on my place for another month or so. Those are our rare top-end bucks.

#3318220 - 08/10/13 01:17 PM Re: This Year's Antler Growing Conditions, BSK? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

And by the way, as of my last camera pull (yesterday) half of the bucks are done growing or nearly so. Although I did get two bucks traveling together that definitely had more growing to do.

Amazes me how much difference there is in individual buck antler growth timing. Some clearly done, some not close yet.

Page all of 9 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (Mudbone, Master Chief, THEdonkey0515, Redwing, deerkiller300wsm, dmonty, 10 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91527 Topics
1069980 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.