Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 12 « First<56789>Last »
Topic Options
#3246524 - 05/14/13 06:06 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I bet wounded birds isn't much of a factor.

I disagree. Just go on Facebook to any turkey page and listen to the idiots taking 70+ yard shots. If they are taking those shots they are wounding a lot of birds.

#3246525 - 05/14/13 06:09 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
I know several deer hunters who consider turkeys quite the nuisance. One, he even refers to them as "big feathered rats".

As far as I'm concerned, as many deer as we have in TN, if turkeys are keeping someone from killing deer, they should take up golf. Hunting may not be for them!

#3246564 - 05/14/13 07:15 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
 Originally Posted By: ImThere
I got it! Why dont they raise the price of license (especially for out of staters) and lower the all bag limits and we all will be happy!

Cost of non-resident license is plenty high enough now.
I don't understand why nobody has mentioned the problem of birds not being checked in... I think that this is a major problem!! Along with poor hatches!! It's no telling how many gobblers are really killed during a 6 week season not to mention all the ones shot and lost.. The real answer would be to reduce the length of season and possibly bag limit. I am sure every county in TN can't handle a 4 bird limit in the spring.

Roost1 that was in response to all the whining about out of staters flocking to tn to kill all the birds. I feel the twra is doing a fine job and i'm sure when a change needs to be made they will do it. That being said you sir, hit the nail on the head i listen to people at work that took impossible shots and wounded double or triple the limit because of there poor decisions

#3246725 - 05/14/13 09:40 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Would I rather call one in strutting and gobbling or feeding by in a fall flock? The question was asked to me and the answer is obvious. But I also want to shoot the fall birds for a couple reasons... 1. I want good meat in the freezer and a T-day turkey... Dont give me that butterball crap, I don't want a darn butterball. 2. I want hen wingbones to call in gobblers. 3. I like the chance of killing more than one bird in a day, and like shooting em in flocks, because it's FUN. Imagine that. If I see turkey numbers dropping around here, you bet I will lay off the hen killing even if the limit is still 6. I fall hunt one property where the owner doesn't want them eating all the food plots for deer and they are somewhat a nuisance there so the goal is to reduce their numbers.

If TWRA finds that fall hunts are directly contributing to drops in population, then I would support lowered bag limits and no bag limits in certain counties. But I don't want fall hunting or hen killing eliminated.

#3246808 - 05/15/13 04:54 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I thought records were being set every year with the turkey bag limit?

Now, one bad season and we need to change limits?

Are you kidding me?

This was the worst season ever for me and every one I have talked to. But it is also the 5th coldest Spring on record.
Last year was the warmest EVER on record. It was also my best season ever.

I am SURE there are PLENTY of turkeys in all the areas I hunted this Spring.
THE BIRDS JUST PLAIN DID NOT GOBBLE!!!

I feel certain the weather screwed them up.

Now if I could just get a couple weeks extension on my season I would be set as I feel certain this Spring squirrel season will be GREAT for GOBBLING turkeys!!!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3246903 - 05/15/13 07:48 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
I got it! Why dont they raise the price of license (especially for out of staters) and lower the all bag limits and we all will be happy!

Cost of non-resident license is plenty high enough now.
I don't understand why nobody has mentioned the problem of birds not being checked in... I think that this is a major problem!! Along with poor hatches!! It's no telling how many gobblers are really killed during a 6 week season not to mention all the ones shot and lost.. The real answer would be to reduce the length of season and possibly bag limit. I am sure every county in TN can't handle a 4 bird limit in the spring.

Roost1 that was in response to all the whining about out of staters flocking to tn to kill all the birds. I feel the twra is doing a fine job and i'm sure when a change needs to be made they will do it. That being said you sir, hit the nail on the head i listen to people at work that took impossible shots and wounded double or triple the limit because of there poor decisions

Not really whining
just stating the facts
If twra is doing such a great job
when was the last time you or anyone else on here has had
a TWRA officer check your license
I hunt WMA's all over along with some private land
and have had my license checked one time in 15 years
just saying

BOOM

#3246912 - 05/15/13 08:09 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Lawrence

just saying

I have had a drivers license for over 15 years and I have only had it checked by a police officer less than 5 times, and I drive almost every day. Does that mean the police are doing a crappy job? I dont think so, it means Im not doing anything wrong.

I am not defending any type of law enforcement, but wildlife officers are pretty limited. I will speculate a lot spend most of their time chasing down leads during hunting seasons.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3246929 - 05/15/13 08:21 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: AT Hiker]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I think TWRA does a great job considering where I was from. In AL you never see them except on the water every now and then. There was no tagging system or anything. Even though they had bag limits there was no way to enforce it. That is what I am worred about this new thing. It isn't required to put a temp kill tag on, so now people can just ride back to the house and process their animal and nobody ever would know any different.

For those of you who think turkeys aren't declining have not hunted long enough or enough land or in the places that I have hunted for years. Turkeys gobble in all weather every spring. It ain't got nothing to do with weather. It is all length of day. I honestly thing they gobble better on clear cool mornings that hot mornings like we had last year, but they still gobbled. I don't believe that turkeys gobble everyday, or every gobbler gobbles every day, but I do believe if you hunt a spot that has traditionally good turkey hunting and do not here much gobbling, I think that there are fewer turkeys on the place. You may say otherwise, but that is what I believe. I have to see turkeys or see fresh sign to convince me there are turkeys on a property if I hear not gobbling. If you have sparse numbers of turkeys like us, sometimes they are in spots that you cannot hear good from your house or car or wherever you listen from.

About hen killing. It definately isn't the sole purpose of numbers dropping. But it for sure isn't helping it. That is a thing we can control, and it needs to be stopped. Just wait Maury county folks, it probably want last forever. I guess you gotta kill them when there still there.

#3246942 - 05/15/13 08:31 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: AT Hiker]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
 Originally Posted By: Lawrence

just saying

I have had a drivers license for over 15 years and I have only had it checked by a police officer less than 5 times, and I drive almost every day. Does that mean the police are doing a crappy job? I dont think so, it means Im not doing anything wrong.

I am not defending any type of law enforcement, but wildlife officers are pretty limited. I will speculate a lot spend most of their time chasing down leads during hunting seasons.

Sorry Bro
but thats not a very good comparison
TWRA should be out in full checking hunters during season
to make sure all is good.
And now with not having to tag your kill
it just gives the not so honest individual more reason to break the law.

BOOM

#3246961 - 05/15/13 08:43 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

This thread has went to crap lol.

Anyways, whatever happens I hope the turkeys get up to the way it was 10 years ago, and I am positive and believe that it will.

Page 7 of 12 « First<56789>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (gun nut, Mossy, Brownitsdown10, willis_11) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.