because of our early dates and liberal limit
hunters from MO, KY, OH, IL, flock here to get a start
before their seasons start

BOOM

#3246109 - 05/14/13 09:43 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

I will NEVER understand why any turkey hunter would be so helll bent on killing hens. Cat, you bring up the same points every discussion. Do yourself a favor and read some of Dr. Lovett Williams' work. Until you educate yourself you can't understand. You CANNOT compare turkey biology to deer or anything else! There are NO SIMILARITIES in the two!

#3246113 - 05/14/13 09:50 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: Lawrence
Funny thing about Tn IS the liberal bag limits
I remember when I first moved here from Mo. I was like
YOU CAN KILL 11 BUCKS IN ONE SEASON

Another thing about our turkeys here in Tn
is we sell a ton of Out of State tags

I dont think it is so much the early season and liberal bag limits. Alabama starts earlier and has more liberal limits.
But I have hunted both states alot. And I would have to say that Alabama people hunt Tennessee because it is simply better hunting, especially better than North AL. Tennessee should be one of the top turkey hunting states in the nation. It is, or was, unbelievable.

#3246115 - 05/14/13 09:53 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
I will NEVER understand why any turkey hunter would be so helll bent on killing hens. Cat, you bring up the same points every discussion. Do yourself a favor and read some of Dr. Lovett Williams' work. Until you educate yourself you can't understand. You CANNOT compare turkey biology to deer or anything else! There are NO SIMILARITIES in the two!

Exactly right. Turkeys and Deer are different animals, therefore we cannot treat them the same. Hopefully not, but One day Maury county will probably be down like its southern neighbors. Too much hen killing, but more importantly, too much positive press on the internet. I have never hunted Maury or Marshall, but after reading how good it is I am thinking about going up there next year, and so does everybody else around here.

#3246118 - 05/14/13 10:02 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Originally Posted By: woodsman87

I dont think it is so much the early season and liberal bag limits. Alabama starts earlier and has more liberal limits.
But I have hunted both states alot. And I would have to say that Alabama people hunt Tennessee because it is simply better hunting, especially better than North AL. Tennessee should be one of the top turkey hunting states in the nation. It is, or was, unbelievable.

Yea but Im not talking about AL
I am talking about our northern states
Try driving around any WMA during the first week of season and
look at the license plates of the people hunting. Talk to the hunters and they will tell you why they choose to hunt here. Cheap over the counter liceses and LIBERAL limits
No state north of TN have 4 bird limits.
TN needs to get out of this liberal state of mind IMO

BOOM

#3246120 - 05/14/13 10:09 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87

Yea but Im not talking about AL
I am talking about our northern states
Try driving around any WMA during the first week of season and
look at the license plates of the people hunting. Talk to the hunters and they will tell you why they choose to hunt here. Cheap over the counter liceses and LIBERAL limits
No state north of TN have 4 bird limits.
TN needs to get out of this liberal state of mind IMO

Agreed. I have no knowledge of the northern states except Kentucky.

#3246130 - 05/14/13 10:26 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Andy S.]
woodsman87
8 Point

http://tn.gov/twra/procs/biggameredline.pdf

Pretty good stuff I believe. I still stand by my arguement that lowering spring gobbler bag limit would not help much, but I would still be okay with lowering it some.
I am all for the suggestions of lowering the fall limts. But I still think that if Maury and them keep killing 6 hens that it will go down too. I think hens should be protected year round. Gobblers only during fall.

#3246151 - 05/14/13 10:48 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

For those of you who regularly hunt both TN & KY, in which state do you experience the better turkey hunting?
#3246201 - 05/14/13 12:15 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

If you don't want to kill hens then don't kill them. I think only a small handful if people kill hens in the fall and most don't kill the 6 bird limit. Look up the harvest reports for fall season in Maury county. I'd be more worried about too many people coming to hunt because they heard its good than people killing a few hens. I pretty much have the place to myself when I fall hunt public land.

#3246240 - 05/14/13 01:02 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
woodsman87
8 Point

171 turkeys were reported last fall season in Maury County, more than some counties spring seasons. 103 of those were hens. That doesn't sound like alot, but in the big scheme it is. That doesn't count the ones that will get bushogged or turned into hay either. And the ones shot illegally when misteaken for gobblers. And all the bearded hens that will be killed just because they had a beard. And all the ones that will get run over by a car. Then the few coyotes and bobcats that catch them. Then after all of that, the ones that do survive have to raise a brood. Right now studies show that only two poults per hen survive. That isn't very many young birds.

It is not about not wanting or wanting to shoot hens. It is about getting everybody on the same page. I will not shoot six hens, because I think it is wrong. That doesn't stop anybody else from shooting six hens. Some people do it because it is legal and it is simply something to kill and brag about. Six hens or poults in fall are easy to kill, especially flock shooting into a flock of small 5 month old poults. Turkeys are not like deer, they cannot opt to move at night because of pressure. If anybody wants to kill six turkeys one day, find a hardwood acorn ridge that they use alot, or find a spot they like to roost, and wait until they come by and shoot six of them in one shot.

Let me say this, I do not think shooting hens in the fall is the sole purpose that caused the decline. I am saying it is hurting some, and that is a factor that we as conservationist can control. We cannot control the weather at all. There is only so much we can do to get rid of varmints and predators. We can control by creating better nesting habitat. We can also not bushog until all eggs are hatched. If you cut hay, then that is just part of it, I understand hay must be cut this time of year.

The whole country aint like Maury county, and I believe most places will never be like what we are seeing there now. I have hunted alot of places around here, and there are places in the southeast U.S. that are experiencing declining numbers, as well as places that seem to be going up, Maury county TN is one of those. Some of the places I have been do not have fall hen hunting, that is why I think that isn't the only reason. We need to control what we can, and hen killing is one of those things.

Until you turkey hunters experience not having many birds to hunt, you may not understand this and my passion to keep the wild turkey.

Page 3 of 12 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
87 registered (Redwing, Twinshooter, flhunter, easy45, jeff, LIL JOKER, 8 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88983 Topics
1040954 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.224 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.