Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3245932 - 05/14/13 05:51 AM Hey BSK
Big Gun
16 Point

Loc: Bartlett

Just wondering, what's your opinion of Dr. James Kroll? Had a guy telling us the other day that Kroll is his hero.
#3245956 - 05/14/13 06:37 AM Re: Hey BSK [Re: Big Gun]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

This ought to be good.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3245993 - 05/14/13 07:48 AM Re: Hey BSK [Re: Andy S.]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Isn't BSK Dr. Kroll's right-hand man now? \:\)
Think they're working on a book about the merits of high-fence hunting deer farming/shooting for small landowners.

This will be next in the small landowner series books following:
Dual Use Water Troughs: Turning Your Water Trough into a Fish Pond.
Yes! Feed Your Deer & Your Catfish with A Single Feeder!

#3246011 - 05/14/13 08:09 AM Re: Hey BSK [Re: Andy S.]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

First, let me say that the few times I've talked to him, he's always been friendly and even complimentary of my research. In addition, I give him full credit for bringing much of science behind QDM to the forefront of the hunting public's mind through the publication of his book A Practical Guide to Producing and Harvesting Whitetailed Deer. That book (I have a 1st Edition copy) changed my world (and eventually, my career). He was also one of the first researcher to begin conducting large-scale research projects on the effects of QDM harvest guidelines.

However, he was also one of the first deer researchers to use his knowledge and experience to create a lucrative career outside of the university research world (I certainly have no problem with that), but eventually his entrepreneurship got him in trouble. He began hiding the fact that some of the more extreme management practices he advocated were scientifically dubious, if not outright biologically dangerous. Eventually he started publishing crazy claims and accusations against other profit-minded researchers, and making wildly inaccurate statements in defense of his profit-driven management methods (extreme forms of trophy management). Unfortunately, he is now looked upon by the scientific community as a loon and a hack. His fixation on maximizing his personal income, even at the expense of The Truth, really destroyed what had been a great reputation.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3246012 - 05/14/13 08:10 AM Re: Hey BSK [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
Isn't BSK Dr. Kroll's right-hand man now? \:\)
Think they're working on a book about the merits of high-fence hunting deer farming/shooting for small landowners.

This will be next in the small landowner series books following:
Dual Use Water Troughs: Turning Your Water Trough into a Fish Pond.
Yes! Feed Your Deer & Your Catfish with A Single Feeder!

That's funny!!! \:D

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3246027 - 05/14/13 08:20 AM Re: Hey BSK [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Brassica Toxicity... all that needs to be said lol

#3246140 - 05/14/13 10:37 AM Re: Hey BSK [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Unfortunately, he is now looked upon by the scientific community as a loon . . . . .

HEY! I resemble that statement! \:D

#3246466 - 05/14/13 04:47 PM Re: Hey BSK [Re: Wes Parrish]
Big Gun
16 Point

Loc: Bartlett

Thanks. Due to this conversation with this know it all, I'm now looking for a new place to hunt. Property in western Hardeman Co. about half & half timber to ag land and he doesn't want any does killed.
#3246468 - 05/14/13 04:50 PM Re: Hey BSK [Re: Big Gun]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Big Gun
Thanks. Due to this conversation with this know it all, I'm now looking for a new place to hunt. Property in western Hardeman Co. about half & half timber to ag land and he doesn't want any does killed.

If fawn recruitment is adequate, not killing does would probably be a big mistake over time.

#3246472 - 05/14/13 04:58 PM Re: Hey BSK [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: BSK
Unfortunately, he is now looked upon by the scientific community as a loon . . . . .

HEY! I resemble that statement! \:D

Don't sell yourself short Wes. First, ALL professionals have personal beliefs that other professionals think are loony. And second, I've changed my mind completely about some of your ideas I first thought were a bit "out there." A prime example would be your idea that harvest pressure on the largest antlered 2 1/2 year-old bucks is effecting the structure of the older buck age classes. I now believe you are correct. And not only is high harvest pressure on the largest antlered 2 1/2 year-old bucks reducing the antler size of older bucks, I also think it is having a fairly significant influence on which mature bucks hunters kill; in that hunters are now much more likely to kill one of the smallest antlered mature bucks from the mature buck population than one of the largest antlered.

The fact that hunters so often kill the smallest-antlered members of the mature buck population is now so commonplace that it defies any possibility of being random chance. It is unquestionably a real pattern, and I believe it is the high harvest pressure on large-antlered 2 1/2 year-old bucks that is driving much of this pattern.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (Deer Elvis, TnBob, WGK, Backstrapcrazy, Mossy Oak, Buzzard, 16 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93164 Topics
1089006 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.