Tndeer Logo

Page 9 of 12 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#3247235 - 05/15/13 01:36 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

If weather had everything to do with like some of yall say, then the turkey breeding would be kinda year-round. Think about it. Everyday that the temperature resembled the month of April temps, turkeys would be breeding. I don't know how I can dumb it down more than that. That would cause the whole dynamics of the flock to mess up.
If it was about the weather, poults could perhaps be born in March. Then as there growing, we get an April snowstorm or somthing(has happened before.) That would kill all of them. God created these turkeys to breed and have their clutch hatch during the optimal time of year for poult survival. Late spring and summer. Bugs and seeds are plentiful, grass is high enough to hide them from predators, and no chance of a big snow or weather even of the like to kill them off. The mroe than usual rains we have been recieving this time of year the past several years minus last year is just plain ole dumb luck.

#3247237 - 05/15/13 01:38 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

I do agree and know for fact that turkeys do gobble better in more pretty weather, or cooler mornings rather than sloppy weather. I do know, and know for fact, that they breed soley on the increasing lenght of day coming into the spring equinox. Whitetail deer are same way. They rut because of lenght of day. The reason why people do not see them during the rut is because they simply didn't get any daylight activity because of hot weather or something.

Edited by woodsman87 (05/15/13 02:00 PM)

#3247251 - 05/15/13 01:50 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

People say the last two years should prove that. I aint going off the last two years. I am talking every spring for eternity. I don't care how hot it was last spring, nor how cold it was this spring, now how average the year before was or whatever. It will always be the same, barring the world ending.

If you experienced low gobbling last year, perhaps your place wasn't good, you went on days that it simply wasn't much gobbling, or you are a poor hunter. If you experienced bad gobbling days this year, your place is either down, you went on a day that weather was not conducive to gobbling, or your a poor hunter. They always mate during the spring of the year, every year.

Doesn't matter if they gobbler or not, they still will mate. I would (say in my area) nearly every hen is bred by the end of the first week of the season, and many more are probably bred before that. Hens can hold sperm for nearly 3 weeks. They fertilize each egg individually and then lay them when ready. Once their clutch is complete, they normally start setting. It is last week of April and first week of May every year (at my areas). Just because you are hunting and its April 20th and a longbeard has three or four hens with them does not mean at all they have not been bred. I am 95% sure those hens have already been bred, but they continue to breed. I don't know why, it only takes once, but I guess turkeys like breeding as much as I do.

#3247258 - 05/15/13 01:56 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

The increasing lengh of day causes the hens egg polyps to start "dropping" down, where they are then fertilized by sperm.

Yall can't argue with proven science and facts, that an abnormal temperatures spring or any season for that matter controls the way they breed.

#3247259 - 05/15/13 01:57 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

There is NO proactive quick fix to significantly increasing the turkey population. Much of the outcome is beyond our control, such as flooding, poor nesting conditions, poor survival of poults, which even under the best of times, I'd still call it "poor".

But that said, there are adjustments which could be made that improve the outcome, especially over a 3-yr-plus period. Likewise, doing the opposite of these reduces the turkey population.

Again, factors beyond our control may have more impact, but here's a few things we could do to increase the turkey population:

1) Eliminate the fall turkey hunting.
It makes about as much sense as having a spring deer season.

2) If the fall turkey season is not eliminated, then let those birds count against the following spring's annual limit. If you kill several in the fall, you could become "limited out" before the spring season even opens.

3) Reduce the annual limit to 3 turkeys (bearded birds only in the spring). (And if you kill a turkey during the fall, your spring limit becomes 2 bearded birds the following spring.)

4) Lastly, instead of making the regs more complicated, we could just simplify the regs by eliminating the fall turkey season.

#3247271 - 05/15/13 02:10 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

I can't understand why You keep asking questions... You make it apparent you know all the answers. I am not a biologist by no means and I am sure length of day does trigger breeding but my real world experiences from hunting turkeys going on 25 yrs 30+ days/yr in several different states, successfully I might add, has proven to me what makes for better hunting. I will take an early spring such as last, over a late spring such as this year every time.
There are many many factors that play into why you aren't seeing the numbers of birds you used too. Poor hatches and hunter pressure are at the top whether you choose to believe it or not.... I am sure bush-hogs are not NEW to your area I would imagine they were around before the turkeys showed up.
I think this whole thread is getting twisted. Gobbling and mating are two different things..... Birds gobble yr around but, like you said, they don't mate year around...

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247274 - 05/15/13 02:12 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
There is NO proactive quick fix to significantly increasing the turkey population. Much of the outcome is beyond our control, such as flooding, poor nesting conditions, poor survival of poults, which even under the best of times, I'd still call it "poor".

But that said, there are adjustments which could be made that improve the outcome, especially over a 3-yr-plus period. Likewise, doing the opposite of these reduces the turkey population.

Again, factors beyond our control may have more impact, but here's a few things we could do to increase the turkey population:

1) Eliminate the fall turkey hunting.
It makes about as much sense as having a spring deer season.

2) If the fall turkey season is not eliminated, then let those birds count against the following spring's annual limit. If you kill several in the fall, you could become "limited out" before the spring season even opens.

3) Reduce the annual limit to 3 turkeys (bearded birds only in the spring). (And if you kill a turkey during the fall, your spring limit becomes 2 bearded birds the following spring.)

4) Lastly, instead of making the regs more complicated, we could just simplify the regs by eliminating the fall turkey season.

I like all of your points and agree with them. No quick fix. I don't think they should nesecarily end fall turkey hunting, but definately eliminate hen murdering and also count all gobblers towards a statewide, year-round, baglimit. I would aslo like to get rid of the "bearded birds" and make it "gobblers only" that way hens aren't killed just for the sake of having a scraggly skinny, 7 inch beard, and bird that only weighs 12 pounds, and has little meat.

Like you say most of it is out of our control with the weather, the influx of hogs and armidillos, but we need to control the things we can control like not shooting hens and babies and creating better nesting habitat.

#3247277 - 05/15/13 02:18 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
I can't understand why You keep asking questions... You make it apparent you know all the answers. I am not a biologist by no means and I am sure length of day does trigger breeding but my real world experiences from hunting turkeys going on 25 yrs 30+ days/yr in several different states, successfully I might add, has proven to me what makes for better hunting. I will take an early spring such as last, over a late spring such as this year every time.
There are many many factors that play into why you aren't seeing the numbers of birds you used too. Poor hatches and hunter pressure are at the top whether you choose to believe it or not.... I am sure bush-hogs are not NEW to your area I would imagine they were around before the turkeys showed up.
I think this whole thread is getting twisted. Gobbling and mating are two different things..... Birds gobble yr around but, like you said, they don't mate year around...

I am not asking questions, I am giving answers and making suggestions. Perhaps if we all got to hunt everyday of the year in every state and were "successful" as you added, we wouldn't be saying why the few spots we do have to hunt on are not as good as they once were. I like to make the best of my hunting time, and If I had the time to go and the money to go I would be out there more than you and more places than you.

#3247283 - 05/15/13 02:22 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

I have read your posts, and you come in acting high and mighty because you kill your turkeys the first week of the season, acting like you know everything about it, and think your cool because your in a contest every year. You are just someone who gets to hunt everyday and has the best spots in the country to hunt. Don't come bragging to me and everyone else on how good you are and how much you get to hunt.
Be thankful that you have good places and get to go alot, one day you might not have any turkeys left.

#3247329 - 05/15/13 03:10 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Woodsman87 = Setterman? Lol
Gotta give it to you know it all!

Page 9 of 12 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (dralarms, BONE-HEAD, 7mm08, plinker22, OHVATN, E71A, 13 invisible) and 126 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93314 Topics
1089577 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.